[comp.unix.questions] UUCP thru Annex box

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (07/22/87)

Anyone ever managed to run UUCP across an Encore Annex terminal
server so that an async host logs in as uucp across a telnet or
rlogin connection?  I have my prejudices (a similar attempt across a TAC
several years ago failed miserably), but am required to try again.
Could someone who has done this successfully send me a description
of what they did?

Thanks,
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu

becker@rochester.arpa (Tim Becker) (07/22/87)

In article <202@spdcc.COM> dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>Anyone ever managed to run UUCP across an Encore Annex terminal
>server so that an async host logs in as uucp across a telnet or
>rlogin connection?  I have my prejudices (a similar attempt across a TAC
>several years ago failed miserably), but am required to try again.
>Could someone who has done this successfully send me a description
>of what they did?

Just set this up here.  We connected our modems (and data switch lines)
to the annex.  The machines that want to initiate a uucp connection with
us, get the annex prompt, send "rlogin <my_uucp_machine>", and then get
a login/passwd prompt like usual.  It's been working for 2 weeks so far
(transferring *lots* of news/mail to multiple sites).

What I wish I could do, is teach uucp how to talk to the annex so I
could initiate uucp connections back out the annex.  I think I'd have to
teach uucp how to telnet (which I'm not currently ambitious enough to
do).  Has anybody got this working?

Tim Becker.
..!seismo!rochester!becker

rhealey@ub.D.UMN.EDU (Rob Healey) (07/23/87)

In article <706@sol.ARPA> becker@rochester.UUCP (Tim Becker) writes:
>In article <202@spdcc.COM> dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>>Anyone ever managed to run UUCP across an Encore Annex terminal
>>server so that an async host logs in as uucp across a telnet or
>>rlogin connection?
>
>Just set this up here.  We connected our modems (and data switch lines)
>to the annex.
>
>What I wish I could do, is teach uucp how to talk to the annex so I
>could initiate uucp connections back out the annex.  I think I'd have to
>teach uucp how to telnet (which I'm not currently ambitious enough to
>do).  Has anybody got this working?

	Do you mean have the annex port act like a tty port from the
	Encore's point of view. Here in Duluth we set up our Max to
	communicate to 2 Lazerwriters by having the Max control them
	as tty's. i.e. ttyh1 would be printer #1 and ttyh2 would be
	printer #2. You treat ttyh1 and ttyh2 just the same as you
	treat physically wired tty's on other systems. I didn't
	do this myself but I can refer anyone to the person who did.

	Send me e-mail if you'd like to know more.

		-Rob Healey

		University of Minnesota, Duluth

		rhealey@ub.d.umn.edu  <- 8 CPU MultiMax.

becker@rochester.arpa (Tim Becker) (07/23/87)

In article <700@umnd-cs.D.UMN.EDU> rhealey@ub.UUCP (Rob Healey) writes:
>	Do you mean have the annex port act like a tty port from the
>	Encore's point of view. Here in Duluth we set up our Max to
>	communicate to 2 Lazerwriters by having the Max control them
>	as tty's. i.e. ttyh1 would be printer #1 and ttyh2 would be
>	printer #2. You treat ttyh1 and ttyh2 just the same as you
>	treat physically wired tty's on other systems. I didn't
>	do this myself but I can refer anyone to the person who did.

Sounds like you have a computer made by Encore (not just the Annex).
They have a device driver built into their OS (UMAX) that hides the
setting up and tearing down of the connection to the Annex.  I have
4.3bsd Unix, not UMAX.

Would be handy if Encore would give away the code to do this...

Tim Becker.
..!seismo!rochester!becker
becker@cs.rochester.edu

joe@auspyr.UUCP (Joe Angelo) (07/23/87)

in article <202@spdcc.COM>, dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) says:

> Anyone ever managed to run UUCP across an Encore Annex terminal server...

I'm posting this for general interest...

We have an Encore Multimax and annex here, along with a Pyramid 90x with
no Ether board and manage serial UUCP connections as:

	pyramid ----calls-----> annex ----ether----> multimax

The L.sys entry on the pyramid looks like:

ausmax Any,10 DIR 9600 ttyi04 "" \r\c annex-BREAK-annex kill annex
	call\sausmax ogin:--ogin: auspyr\012\c assword: ANYPASSWORD\012\c

Note that the above command sequence will "kill" any other jobs running
on the annex port. We have other sites connected to the annex and
they don't always terminate properly. On UMAX 4.2, you might not need
the extra CRs and LFs, but you do with UMAX 5.2/5.3. Try it both ways.

On the Multimax, you'll need to ''configure'' the annex port via /etc/na,
you can "read" in this script:

	annex annex11
	echo setting serial port parameters for port 16
	set port=16 speed 9600
	set port=16 data_bits 8
	set port=16 stop_bits 1
	set port=16 parity none
	set port=16 control_lines none
	set port=16 type hardwired
	set port=16 mode cli
	set port=16 forwarding_timer 1
	set port=16 inactivity_timer 0
	set port=16 login_timer N
	set port=16 port_multiplex N
	set port=16 allow_broadcast Y
	set port=16 input_flow_control none
	set port=16 input_start_char ^Q
	set port=16 input_stop_char ^S
	set port=16 output_flow_control none
	set port=16 output_start_char ^Q
	set port=16 output_stop_char ^S
	set port=16 long_break Y
	set port=16 short_break Y
	set port=16 attn_char ^@
	set port=16 password ""
	set port=16 term_var ""
	set port=16 input_buffer_size 60
	set port=16 bidirectional_modem N
	set port=16 newline_terminal N
	set port=16 leap_protocol_on N
	set port=16 echo Y
	set port=16 map_to_lower N
	set port=16 map_to_upper N
	set port=16 char_erase N
	set port=16 line_erase N
	set port=16 hardware_tabs N
	set port=16 erase_char ^?
	set port=16 erase_word ^W
	set port=16 erase_line ^U
	set port=16 redisplay_line ^R
	set port=16 toggle_output ^O

Note, you'll need to change the port= number to whatever port you
are using.

Great machine!
--
"Need input.    Joe Angelo, Sr. Sys. Engineer @ Austec, Inc., San Jose, CA.
 More input.    ARPA: auspyr!joe@lll-tis[-b].arpa     PHONE: [408] 279-5533

joe@auspyr.UUCP (Joe Angelo) (07/23/87)

in article <706@sol.ARPA>, becker@rochester.arpa (Tim Becker) says:

> In article <202@spdcc.COM> dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>>Anyone ever managed to run UUCP across an Encore Annex terminal
>>server...
>
> What I wish I could do, is teach uucp how to talk to the annex so I
> could initiate uucp connections back out the annex...

Why not trick UUCP instead of ''teaching'' it?

If you are talking about a annex on a Multimax, then you can have
UUCP access a device in /dev that speaks to an annex port that is
connected serially to some other computer. All you need to do is create
a remote_node and config the annex port for server (instead of client)
mode... Then setup UUCP/{Systems,L.sys} to use the new device in /dev;
something like:

	$ /etc/na
	  set annex=annex_name port=port_number mode=serv
	$ mkrnod /dev/rty001 18 21 arp.address 3 port_number
	$ chown uucp /dev/rty001
	$ vi L.sys
	   anysys Any DIR 9600 rty001 "" "" in:--in: ...

Read the man page on mkrnod(1M); it'll solve your problem. (You'll
also need to ''config'' the annex port with the same parameters in my
previous article.)

Ps: I'm not an Encore Rep -- but I love the Multimax.

Pps: Actually, Execelan has a similar method via the ud(EXOS) utility to
work the other way. (Ie: it make's UUCP talk via rlogin(1) if uucp doesn't
know what a TCP device is.).
--

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (07/24/87)

In article <202@spdcc.COM>, dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
> Anyone ever managed to run UUCP across an Encore Annex terminal
> server so that an async host logs in as uucp across a telnet or
> rlogin connection?  I have my prejudices (a similar attempt across a TAC
> several years ago failed miserably), but am required to try again.

For background, this was an Annex box without a Multimax in sight.
However, the good news is that, as a number of people pointed out,
that everything "just works".  Apparently, the annex handles RAW mode/
Telnet binary negotiations correctly, at least when talking to a
4.3 VAX site.

Shows that it often doesn't pay to be blinded by previous experience...
Kudos to the Annex folks at Encore (this box has repeatedly impressed me
at how invisible it is, which is as it should be.)