[comp.unix.questions] Slow backspaces on Sys V

ghost@brazil.UUCP (Dana Jacobsen) (07/27/87)

  We're have some AT&T 3b2/300's running SysV.2 and one of them is having
problems backspacing at a reasonable speed.  It backspaces at approximately
300 baud no matter what the connection speed is. This is most noticible in
less (at the end of every page) and ksh (when moving up to previous commands).
I've looked at the stty settings and can't find anything that would give bs
a delay.  Does anybody have any suggestions on what might be causing this?
--
Dana Jacobsen
 TGitM@rpitsmts.bitnet         "The Truth Shall Make You Free."

jv@mhres.mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (07/28/87)

In article <414@brazil.UUCP>, ghost@brazil.UUCP (Dana Jacobsen) writes:

>   We're have some AT&T 3b2/300's running SysV.2 and one of them is having
> problems backspacing at a reasonable speed.  It backspaces at approximately
> 300 baud no matter what the connection speed is. This is most noticible in
> less (at the end of every page) and ksh (when moving up to previous commands).

I have had the same problem (a long time ago, but apparently it still
exists). From the caves of my memory, I remember that I used stty to tell
the terminal driver not to use bs delay, but to send null fill characters
(stty ofill) instead. This speeded up the tty output.

Hope it helps.

--
Johan Vromans                           | jv@mh.nl via mcvax and seismo
Multihouse N.V., Gouda, the Netherlands | uucp: ..{seismo!}mcvax!mh.nl!jv

guy%gorodish@Sun.COM (Guy Harris) (07/28/87)

> >   We're have some AT&T 3b2/300's running SysV.2 and one of them is having
> > problems backspacing at a reasonable speed. ...
>
> I have had the same problem (a long time ago, but apparently it still
> exists). From the caves of my memory, I remember that I used stty to tell
> the terminal driver not to use bs delay, but to send null fill characters
> (stty ofill) instead.

Or, if your terminal is fast enough not to need backspace delay (as I
suspect most are these days), just set the backspace delay to 0
("stty bs0").
	Guy Harris
	guy@sun.com