[comp.unix.questions] simtel20 archives

USGCORB%LEHIIBM1.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU (Stephen Corbesero) (07/15/87)

Can anyone tell me what happened to the Archives at Simtel20?  It seems
to have disappeared.

Stephen Corbesero
Lehigh University

mdapoz@watdragon.UUCP (07/17/87)

In article <8284@brl-adm.ARPA> USGCORB%LEHIIBM1.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU (Stephen Corbesero) writes:
>Can anyone tell me what happened to the Archives at Simtel20?  It seems
>to have disappeared.

Yes, it has been shut down and probably won't come back up.  See comp.os.cpm for more details.
	-Mark

john@xanth.UUCP (John Owens) (07/27/87)

In article <3108@watdragon.UUCP>, mdapoz@watdragon.UUCP writes:
> In article <8284@brl-adm.ARPA> USGCORB%LEHIIBM1.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU (Stephen Corbesero) writes:
> >Can anyone tell me what happened to the Archives at Simtel20?  It seems
> >to have disappeared.
>
> Yes, it has been shut down and probably won't come back up.  See comp.os.cpm for more details.
> 	-Mark

I looked in comp.os.cpm and the only thing about Simtel-20 I could
find was this message, which seems to indicate it's alive and well.
Could you perhaps clarify your message or post your source for saying
that it's down?  (Are you talking about the mail-based
archive-server?)

From: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Keith Petersen)
Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm
Subject: Quick reference list to SIMTEL20 CP/M subdirectory names
Date: 19 Jul 87 05:57:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

    As part of a directory reoganization project, several of SIMTEL20's
    PD:<CPM> subdirectories have been renamed.  Here is a quick reference
    list to the subdirectory names.  This file is available as
    PD:<CPM>MSDOS.DIRLST.  It is updated periodically as new
            ^^^^^-> I meant CPM.DIRLST (embarrased look  :-/
    subdirectories are added or old ones renamed.

Sorry about that.  I reused part of a message I had just sent out about
the MSDOS subdirectories which I also maintain.

--Keith
--
John Owens		Old Dominion University - Norfolk, Virginia, USA
john@ODU.EDU		old arpa: john%odu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET

BRUCE%UC780.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU (07/29/87)

Re: the simtel20 archives.

Nothing has changed for those of you with internet (ftp) access
to simtel20.  What has changed is the mail server which allowed
us on bitnet (and other nets with only mail access to internet)
to get at the files at simtel20.  Rumor has it that mail service
will be restored near the end of this year.  Notice that this is
rumor, not fact.  I don't represent simtel20, nor can I spell
at all.  The usual disclaimers apply.....

        bruce <bruce@uc780> on bitnet (however you get there)