[comp.unix.questions] printer queues

haral@unisol.UUCP (Haral Tsitsivas) (07/31/87)

In article <437@cieunix.rpi.edu>  curt@cieunix.rpi.edu (Curt Signorino) writes:
>We're running 4.3 BSD and have a decwriter and an Imagen laser
>printer hooked up.  When you print something to one of them and
>do an lpq on each, it appears as if the job is in both queues,
>even though it only prints out on the originally specified device.
>Also, if a job is interrupted, it continues printing out on the
>other device.

Even though you did not post your /etc/printcap entries, it sounds
as if you have both printer queues spool their entries into the
same spool directory.  It first prints on the originally specified
device because the correct filter (to the correct output device )
was invoked, however if you stop printing, the first entry in
/etc/printcap will be assumed the default when restarted (unless
you restart the correct printer daemon from lpc).  Your problems
may be fixed if you create a separate directory for each printer
(i.e. /usr/spool/lpd/lp1 and /usr/spool/lpd/lp2) so a separate
lock and status file will be created for each printer...

--Haral Tsitsivas
  UniSolutions Associates
  ...!scgvaxd!ashtate!unisol!haral