[comp.unix.questions] Two DEQNA's on Ultrix1.2 - problems

woodward@nucsrl.UUCP (Ernest Woodward) (07/31/87)

I have an Ultrix 1.2 system on a MicroVAXII being used as a communications
gateway between a small campus ethernet and ARPANET. I am also attempting
to gateway to another inter-university ethernet network, so I have
installed a second DEQNA in the MicroVAX. I rebuilt the kernel with two
qe's defined and fired up the new system. I was able to use the ethernet
for communications on the university but noticed some very strange
problems with the kernel. I discovered that the commands "ps ax" and
"netstat -i" would print out the header on the standard output device, but
the rest of the output was not appearing. I thought there may be a
problem with the new DEQNA and shut the system down to single user mode
and rebooted the system. I booted the system in single user mode and I
entered the "ps ax" command at the console and once again noticed that the
header was printed at the console but no line print outs about swapper and
the other immediate processes.

I decided to call customer service and run some hardware tests. I swapped
DEQNA's and ran ethernet communications on a system with one DEQNA
configured in the kernel. Everything ran just fine! I booted up the kernel
with two DEQNA's and once again experienced the problems discussed above.
I decided to run a little trick and define both IP addresses to have the
same network number and attempt communications. I was able to telnet to
either IP address and run basic communications. Unfortunately, some standard
output lines were not arriving at the standard output device as was
experienced at the console, dhu terminals, or ethernet/telnet logons.

I do not have the slightest clue as to what the problem may be. If this
is well know information and does not deserve reply posting, please mail
information to:

    woodward@eecs.nwu.edu
or  ernie@accuvax.nwu.edu
or  ernie@nuacc.bitnet

Thanks for all the help in the past and I will greatly appreciate any
advice anyone has to offer.

                                           Sincerely,

                                           Ernie Woodward

woodward@eecs.nwu.edu
ernie@accuvax.nwu.edu
ernie@nuacc.bitnet

Manager of Computer Communications and Networking
Academic Computing and Network Services
Northwestern University
2129 Sheridan Road
Evanston, Illinois  60208
(312) 491-4078

pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) (08/02/87)

In article <3680023@nucsrl.UUCP: woodward@nucsrl.UUCP (Ernest Woodward) writes:
[...]

Are you booting the new kernel from "/vmunix.new", or something like that?
If so, that's your problem.

Commands like "netstat", "ps", "pstat", etc., need to muck around in /dev/kmem,
and they need to know offsets into kernel space to do that.  They find these
offsets in the system namelist, which, by default, is in "/vmunix".  Most of
these commands also have options to tell them the name of the running kernel,
if it isn't "/vmunix".

--Pat.

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (08/02/87)

In article <3680023@nucsrl.UUCP>, woodward@nucsrl.UUCP (Ernest Woodward) writes:

> I have an Ultrix 1.2 system on a MicroVAXII being used as a communications
> gateway between a small campus ethernet and ARPANET. I am also attempting
> to gateway to another inter-university ethernet network, so I have
> installed a second DEQNA in the MicroVAX. I rebuilt the kernel with two
> qe's defined and fired up the new system. I was able to use the ethernet
> for communications on the university but noticed some very strange
> problems with the kernel. I discovered that the commands "ps ax" and
> "netstat -i" would print out the header on the standard output device, but
> the rest of the output was not appearing. I thought there may be a
> problem with the new DEQNA...

I know of no problems with a 2 deqna configuration.  In fact, we had
such a setup ere in our office and I do not recall having to do
anything special.

The problems you report with ps and netstat sound like you were
running a kernel whose name was something other than "/vmunix" but
neglected to tell them that...

Fred.