[comp.unix.questions] System Accounting

maw@auc.UUCP (Michael A. Walker) (08/03/87)

	I am presently working on a system accounting program for our systems
that are running SYSTEM V Ver 2.0 2 UNIX.  The program should total the cpu
time, connect time, and disk usage for each login according to which group
they belong.  However, I run into some problems that I have traced back to
the structure that I assumed the data file tacctMMDD was in.  The following
is my assumption of the structure:

struct ios {
	int ta_uid;
	char ta_name[8];
	float ta_cpu[2];
	float ta_kcore[2];
	float ta_con[2];
	float ta_du;
	long ta_pc;
	unsigned short ta_sc;
	unsigned short ta_dc;
	unsigned short ta_fee;
	} io;

If anyone has the source code to the accounting programs(i.e. runacct, monacct,
etc.), please check to see if the above structure is correct.  If it is not,
please e-mail me the correct structure as soon as possible.  Also, if anyone
knows if, for any reason other than system crashes and the like, the data
file tacctMMDD could become corrupt, please e-mail me this also.

Thank you.

--
<----------------------------------------------------------------------------->
<      Michael A. Walker      | Operator |      AUC Computational Center      >

paul@whuts.UUCP (HO) (08/04/87)

In article <32128@auc.UUCP>, maw@auc.UUCP writes:
> 	I am presently working on a system accounting program for our systems
> that are running SYSTEM V Ver 2.0 2 UNIX.  The program should total the cpu
> time, connect time, and disk usage for each login according to which group
> they belong.

Won't a simple awk script do?

> However, I run into some problems that I have traced back to
> the structure that I assumed the data file tacctMMDD was in.  The following
> is my assumption of the structure:

See acct(4).

> Also, if anyone knows if, for any reason other than system
> crashes and the like, the data
> file tacctMMDD could become corrupt .....

Possible, if you have a corrupted pacct and wtmp to begin with.
The acct package tries to fix certain corrupted entries, but in
general acct is pretty dumb.

	Paul Ho