[comp.unix.questions] SysV.3 UUCP help needed

fred@rover.UUCP (Fred Christiansen) (08/03/87)

trying to get file transfer going from system A to system C via
intermediary system B.  seems to me that some of the older manuals
used to describe how to permit this, but current AT&T manuals are
more procedural and less folkloric than previous, and some tricks
are no longer described.

V.3's UUCP is called Basic Networking, aka HoneyDanBer, if i'm not
mistaken.  could someome clue me in on how to arrange our Permissions
file (or whatever it is that needs fixing)?  this is what the Log reports.

uucp A  (8/3-10:04:36,5731,9) REMOTE REQUESTED (A!/usr/spool/uucppublic/foo.monday --> B!!C!~/foo.monday (jj))
uucp A  (8/3-10:04:36,5731,9) PERMISSION (DENIED)

here's the Permissions entries in question:

MACHINE=A COMMANDS=rmail:uucp \
READ=/ WRITE=/usr/spool/uucppublic SENDFILES=yes REQUEST=yes

LOGNAME=cuucp \
READ=/ WRITE=/usr/spool/uucppublic SENDFILES=yes REQUEST=yes
--
<< Generic disclaimer >>
Fred Christiansen ("Canajun, eh?") @ Motorola Microcomputer Division, Tempe, AZ

jhc@mtune.ATT.COM (Jonathan Clark) (08/07/87)

In article <453@rover.UUCP> fred@rover.UUCP (Fred Christiansen) writes:
>trying to get file transfer going from system A to system C via
>intermediary system B.

ie 'uuto file b!c!user' or commands to that effect?

Without a default COMMANDS line in the appropriate Permissions file
entry, the uux-able commands are limited to a compile-time default.
Typically these are rmail and rnews. To get multi-hop uucp to work:

	COMMANDS=rmail:rnews:uucp

*ON THE INTERMEDIATE SYSTEMS*!!! The source and target systems do not
and should not care. Remember to set the READ and WRITE permissions on
the same set of entries or you can get security breaches. These days,
you probably will.
--
Jonathan Clark
[NAC,attmail]!mtune!jhc

An Englishman never enjoys himself except for some noble purpose.