[net.cooks] carcinogens in your food...

davidl@tekadg.UUCP (Dave) (07/26/85)

a subject dear to my heart, since I was raised on them.

The following gem from net.cooks is so idiotic, I don't know whether to
laugh, cry, or throw up (anybody ever throw up in net.cooks?)

>I gave up worrying about THINGS THAT MIGHT CAUSE CANCER when I heard, in
>a detailed news report, that fried hamburger might.  Now, it seems to me
>that some things really do have a strong link, like large amounts of
>asbestos fibre floating in the air, but most everything else rates as so
>insignificant as to only provide funding for cancer research.
>Now I enjoy cheese and hamburger and sunshine and all of those other
>things that caused human life as we know it to disappear, due to cancer,
>48,000,000 years ago.

I've seen this kind of peabrained attitude before: "well, it's too much
to worry about, so I'll just make a joke out of it and ignore it".

hey, you ever watch somebody die of cancer, motherf*cker <== (that good
enough for all the little net-censoring nazis out there?) and you'll change
your tune so fast they'll think you're a 33rpm record on 78.

You know, there's lots of A-rabs over there dying of liver cancer, have
been for years, because they think moldy peanuts are a delicacy...

and, of course, the food industry will put ANYTHING in your food that
(a) makes it possible to manufacture it more cheaply, and/or (b) tickle
people's fancy so they'll buy it, and (c) isn't EASILY DEMONSTRABLE to
cause damage in a short enough period of time to make the food industry
legally liable for selling it.

There's a LOT of things that cause cancer, SOME of them naturally
occurring, like asbestos - and a LOT of them man-made - like the sodium
nitrite that the food manufacturers add to hamburger so it'll LOOK fresh
when it ain't (see (b) above) and which forms carcinogenic nitrosamines
in the meat when it's cooked.  In fact - you like to barbecue?  the
tar and caramelized stuff on the outside is LOADED with carcinogens of
EVERY description, ESPECIALLY if you use wood smoke...

As an occupational chemist said to me once, "Our DNA didn't evolve in
an atmosphere of [here insert whatever chemical whose carcinogenicity (?)
the "industry spokesmen" are currently trying to deny]".  I.e., you just
keep right on sucking up that chemical slime out of the food machines, and
maybe your 100th-generation descendents, if you live to produce any, will
be genetically protected against what's now carcinogenic for YOU.

So, do you want to try to minimize your risk, or don't you?  And how much
effort are you willing to put into it?

The final score is far from in, but believe me, those of us, including
myself, who are now laughing at the "raw-organic-carrot crowd", are liable
to be singing a FAR different tune in our later lives - whether on 33, 45,
or if we're lucky, 78.  Ha ha ha.  YOUR turn to throw up.

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) (07/29/85)

In article <91@tekadg.UUCP> davidl@tekadg.UUCP (Dave) writes:

>hey, you ever watch somebody die of cancer, motherf*cker <== (that good
>enough for all the little net-censoring nazis out there?) ...
>You know, there's lots of A-rabs over there dying of liver cancer, have
>been for years, because they think moldy peanuts are a delicacy...

I don't read net.cooks for grammar-school obscenity and racist slurs. If
you can't communicate like an adult, please move this `discussion' to
net.flame.

                                -- Bill Ingogly

render@uiucdcsb.Uiuc.ARPA (08/01/85)

    Having watched someone close to me die of cancer, I can still say that
your attitude is one of the worst I have ever had exposure to.  I hardly
think that the original poster of the note regarding possible carcinogens
was making light of cancer.  Cancer is not a laughing matter, but the
extent to which some people will grasp on to any straw to try and avoid
it IS laughable.  There are just some things that are impossible to
avoid, such as sunlight, food, water, etc. which are known under certain
circumstances to be carcinogenic.  What you try to do is minimize your
risk of cancer without going crazy in the process.  After all, there is
only so much that you can do towards minimizing this risk and still have an
enjoyable life.  It is commendable to point out to people the risks to which
they may be subject (assuming they don't know about them already), but it is
not commendable to nag at people for making choices with which you disagree.

                                     Hal Render

                                     {pur-ee, ihnp4} ! uiucdcs ! render
                                     render@uiuc.csnet     render@uiuc.arpa

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (08/03/85)

> In article <91@tekadg.UUCP> davidl@tekadg.UUCP (Dave) writes:

  ... various obscenities and slurs ...

> I don't read net.cooks for grammar-school obscenity and racist slurs. If
> you can't communicate like an adult, please move this `discussion' to
> net.flame.
>
>                                 -- Bill Ingogly

I second the opinion of Bill.  Net.cooks is for decent folks
interested in food;  preparation, consumption, styles, etc.  But
not politics.  The double posting to net.cooks and net.politics
is an oxymoron.
--

E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)