[comp.unix.questions] Cheap Basic for unix?

dove@savax.UUCP (webster dove) (07/30/87)

Can anyone point me to a public domain (but working!) basic
interpreter written in C to be used on a Sun 3?  Or an inexpensive
non-public one?

mohamed@hscfvax.UUCP (750025@Mohamed_el_Lozy) (07/30/87)

In article <643@savax.UUCP> dove@savax.UUCP (webster dove) writes:
>Can anyone point me to a public domain (but working!) basic
>interpreter written in C to be used on a Sun 3?  Or an inexpensive
>non-public one?

We use a basic developped at the University of British Columbia that exists
in BSD4.1 and BSD4.2 versions.  By surface mail:

	Ms Susan Ertis
	Systems Analyst
	Biosciences Data Center, I. A. R. E.
	University of British Columbia
	Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1W5
	(604) 228-6527

Over a year ago I sent email to ..!seismo!ubc-vision!bdcvax!susan

It has a couple of minor bugs, but in general workd fine.  We have a couple
of old time users who use it for programs written a zillion years ago, which
they have no desire to re-write.

I also looked at a BASIC developped at the University of New Mexico.  It
implements, as I recall, the dialect used on large IBM mainframes, which is
very different from most others.  As it comes with a yacc grammer I enjoyed
modifying it, but have never used it as a production tool.  I was never able
to get email to them, surface mail to:

	BASIC
	c/o Tina Lopez, Development Group
	UNM Computing Center
	2701 Campus Boulevard
	University of New Mexico
	Albuquerque, NM 87131

Both charge a small handling fee.

A totally free public domain BASIC was posted to comp.sources.unix (or was
it at the very end of mod.sources?) a few months ago, I never got around to
trying it out.

I believe there are no CHEAP commercial BASIC's, there certainly are many
expensive ones for VAXen.  Do any readers have any comments on them?

gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) (07/31/87)

>In article <643@savax.UUCP> dove@savax.UUCP (webster dove) writes:
>Can anyone point me to a public domain (but working!) basic
>interpreter written in C to be used on a Sun 3?  Or an inexpensive
>non-public one?

     I have a public domain (and working) basic interpreter written in C.
     I don't know if it would run on a Sun 3, I am completely ignorant of
  Sun hardware, and Unix flavor.

     The BASIC we use here was distributed over Usenet last December. It
  was written by Phil Cockcroft and the only bug I heard about was a minor
  fix (cosmetic) to a termcap related subroutine. Sorry, I missed the posting
  containing the fix.

     To quote Phil's README file:
       ".... based on a combination of Microsoft level 5 BASIC and RT11's
       MU-BASIC with a smattering of BASIC plus."

       Built and tested on:
                VAX BSD4.2 (4.1),
                PDP11 (with and without Floating point hardware) and running
                    V6, V7, BSD2.8, BSD2.9
                Pyramid 98x
                and on a Unisoft 68000 (V7)

       System dependant code extracted and placed in relevant subdirectories.

       ****** ASSUMES pointers == sizeof(int)

      I have only used this BASIC a couple of times and the only thing I really
  remember is I didn't have to refer to the manual. I thought this was an
  impressive and well done project. It seems to be compatable with many
  differant flavors of BASIC.

      As I mentioned, I have the sources to this BUT, the sources are on
  "my" VAX and , lacking a network connection, I use tip(1) (similar to cu(1))
  to connect this account on the 'prls' hosts. Since this is only a 4800 baud
  line (which expects a typist and not a 4800 baud continuos stream), it will
  take hours for me to upload the 268K of sources.

      Please check the archive sites first, if you don't know where/how to
  get sources from the archive sites, let me know and I will send instructions.
  If several people want the sources, maybe we can have them reposted. If all
  else fails, I will upload the files.

 Gordon P. Vickers, (408) 991-5370,             =======================
 Signetics Corp.                                || Ultrix-32 ver 1.2 ||
 PO Box 3409  M/S 69                            ||     VAX 11/750    ||
 Sunnyvale, California,  USA  94086             =======================
 {pyramid, philabs}!prls!gordon
----- ALL DISCLAIMERS APPLY. In fact I have sent this whole mess by mistake.

rbl@nitrex.UUCP ( Dr. Robin Lake ) (08/02/87)

In article <450@hscfvax.UUCP> mohamed@hscfvax.UUCP (750025@Mohamed_el_Lozy) writes:
>In article <643@savax.UUCP> dove@savax.UUCP (webster dove) writes:
>>Can anyone point me to a public domain (but working!) basic
>>interpreter written in C to be used on a Sun 3?  Or an inexpensive
>I believe there are no CHEAP commercial BASIC's, there certainly are many
>expensive ones for VAXen.  Do any readers have any comments on them?

There is a BASIC COMPILER for UNIX.  Don't know how "cheap".  Has all
the features of Microsoft BASIC.

Gary Goins
BASMARK
1717 E. 9th St.
Cleveland, OH  44114
(216)-621-7650

Rob Lake
decvax!cwruecmp!nitrex!rbl
ihnp4!cbosgd!cwruecmp!nitrex!rbl

dave@rosesun.Rosemount.COM (Dave Marquardt) (08/13/87)

In article <643@savax.UUCP> dove@savax.UUCP (webster dove) writes:
>Can anyone point me to a public domain (but working!) basic
>interpreter written in C to be used on a Sun 3?  Or an inexpensive
>non-public one?

Well, I haven't found a cheap commercial INTERPRETER, but I did find a
fairly cheap commercial compiler.  We have Philon FAST/BASIC-M, which is
a Microsoft BASIC compatible compiler.  I believe it is available on VAXen
and Suns.  The Sun price is pretty good -- $600.

Here's the address and general phone number:

	Philon, Inc.
	641 Avenue of the Americas
	New York, New York
	10011