[comp.unix.questions] System V commands...

mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) (08/07/87)

O.K., I'm tired of wondering...

Why does System V version 2,3 not have a recursive copy routine (cp -r)?
It would seem like that is something that one would want to do without
too much trouble.

Why does the System V mailer (mailx) not provide for forwarding and
responding to mail messages (f and r)?

--
Mitchell Lerner
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!mitchell

guy%gorodish@Sun.COM (Guy Harris) (08/08/87)

> Why does the System V mailer (mailx) not provide for forwarding and
> responding to mail messages (f and r)?

I dunno, why doesn't Ferrari make a two-seater?

"mailx", being based on a 4.1BSD-vintage Berkeley Mail, most
definitely *does* have the "r" command.  "mail" doesn't, but then
"mail" on 4BSD systems (a/k/a "binmail") doesn't either.  They don't
have it because the V7 "mail" didn't have it, and people have put
their effort into other mailers rather than adding stuff to "mail".
The V7 "mail" probably doesn't have it because people didn't get as
much mail back in ancient times, so they didn't miss them as much.

The "f" command is the "from" command, just as it is in 4BSD "Mail".
In both 4BSD "Mail" and "mailx", you forward mail with the "mail"
command.
	Guy Harris
	guy@sun.com

In article <1685@cadovax.UUCP> mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) writes:
>Why does System V version 2,3 not have a recursive copy routine (cp -r)?

Perhaps because it has more flexible facilities via find -cpio|cpio -p.
The trouble with "cp -r" and similar "nice" features is that they ASSUME
A PARTICULAR USAGE MODEL that is not always appropriate.  Better to
provide tailorable facilities and let the users decide how to use them
for their parcticular purposes.  (If I felt much need for it, which I
don't, I would defined a shell function "cpr" to do a recursive copy.)

kathy@bakerst.UUCP (08/11/87)

In article <1685@cadovax.UUCP> mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) writes:

>Why does the System V mailer (mailx) not provide for forwarding and
>responding to mail messages (f and r)?

mailx *does* provide for responding, anyway.  I do it all the time.
When you read your mail and get the "?" prompt, if you enter an "r"
you'll be replying to the original sender as well as to everyone to
whom the message you are replying to was sent;  if you enter an "R"
you are replying to the original sender only.

As for forwarding, try entering an "R", editing the header (with "~h")
to change the "To:" line to contain the address you want to forward to,
and then include the message by entering "~f".  Works every time.

Are you sure you've got System V mailx ... ?

Kathy Vincent                          kathy@bakerst.UUCP
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Home:     {ihnp4|mtune|ptsfa} _____
        {hplabs|seismo}!kitty _____\__ !bakerst!kathy
            {mcnc|duke}!ethos _____/
AT&T:  ihnp4!wruxe!unix
       {mtune|burl|ihnp4}!wrcola!{root|kathy}

kai@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Irwin) (08/12/87)

In article <1685@cadovax.UUCP>, mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) writes:

> O.K., I'm tired of wondering...
>
> Why does System V version 2,3 not have a recursive copy routine (cp -r)?
> It would seem like that is something that one would want to do without
> too much trouble.
>
> Why does the System V mailer (mailx) not provide for forwarding and
> responding to mail messages (f and r)?
>
> --
> Mitchell Lerner
> #  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!mitchell
> #  cadovax!mitchell@ucla-locus.arpa
> "When I fight with my mind, my mind always wins" - Ben Hummel

find . -print | cpio -p<options> <target dir>
is the correct way to "mass" copy in sysV

and

mailx does have a "r" respond, although no forward
BTW the standard sysV mailer is mail not mailx
and yes mail is VERY limited!

Ken A. Irwin
AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville
IHP 1A332
(312) 416-4485

rbk@akgua.ATT.COM (R. Brad Kummer) (08/12/87)

In article <5004@ihlpa.ATT.COM>, kai@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Irwin) writes:
> mailx does have a "r" respond, although no forward

A simple way to forward mail from mailx is to use the '|' command to
pipe the message to 'mail', e.g. at the ? prompt, type: | "mail joe!user"
Note that the quotes are required; the '|' command seems to want only
one argument.

	R. Brad Kummer	{ihnp4, akgua}!akguc!rbk
	AT&T Bell Laboratories	Atlanta, GA

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (08/13/87)

As quoted from <1685@cadovax.UUCP> by mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner):
+---------------
| Why does System V version 2,3 not have a recursive copy routine (cp -r)?
| It would seem like that is something that one would want to do without
| too much trouble.
+---------------

It is considered best to use "find dir -print | cpio -pdl", since this also
preserves links.  (Leave off the -l flag to cpio to force copies.)  You can
always write a shell script to do this.

+---------------
| Why does the System V mailer (mailx) not provide for forwarding and
| responding to mail messages (f and r)?
+---------------

There are at least two reply commands: 'r' and 'R'.  As for forwarding, the
reason is lost in the antiquities of 4.1BSD (yes, indeed, System V mailx is
actually Berkeley Mail); the proper way to forward mail is:

Mailx> mail foo
Subject: forwarded mail
~f
.
Cc:
Mailx>
--
 Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc and comp.binaries.ibm.pc
  {{harvard,mit-eddie}!necntc,well!hoptoad,sun!mandrill!hal}!ncoast!allbery

breck@aimt.UUCP (Robert Breckinridge Beatie) (08/13/87)

Actually, mailx in system V does have a forward command.  It's under the
tilde escapes and is described in the SVID.  You have to be entering text
for the letter to use the tilde escape su just mail to the users you want
to forward to and then use "~f <msglist>".Z