From: crash!hp-sdd!hplabs!rutgers!moss!bakerst!kathy
To: hplabs!hp-sdd!crash!pnet01!mkao
Subject: Re: Unix book recommendations for a novice?
Newsgroups: comp.unix.questions
Date: 18 Aug 87 17:00:09 EDT (Tue)

In article <1555@crash.CTS.COM> you write:
>Until recently, I knew NOTHING about Unix. For about the past month or so, I
>have been reading _Unix Primer Plus_ (The Waite Group) and experimenting with
>their examples on my local Unix system. I have learned much but crave more,
>more, MORE knowledge! Can anyone give me recommendations on books that will
>pick up where mine left off in terms of complexity and depth?
>
>To insure my reception of any replies, please respond via e-mail. Thanks!
>
>                                                                  -- Mike Kao
>
>UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!mkao
>ARPA: crash!pnet01!mkao@nosc.mil
>INET: mkao@pnet01.CTS.COM

I should trim more, I guess, but I'm sending you most of the file
in which I've been accumulating suggestions for books about UNIX
reading material.  Some of the titles are repeated, but you'll
get reactions from different people about those titles.

Kathy Vincent                              kathy@bakerst.UUCP
:<*>:<*>:<*>:<*>:<*>:<*>:<*>:<*>:<*>:<*>:<*>:<*>:<*>:<*>:<*>:
Home: {ihnp4|mtune|codas|ptsfa}!bakerst!kathy
AT&T: {ihnp4|mtune|burl}!wrcola!kathy

Newsgroups: comp.unix.wizards

The very best book I've ever read:

The Design of the UNIX Operating System by Maurice J. Bach.

It goes for about $32.00 and is worth every cent.  The book covers
everything from basic UNIX concepts to disk buffer caching schemes
and kernel data structures.  Food for wizards.

Newsgroups: comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.wizards
>From: bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein)
Subject: Book Recommendation

People often ask for book recommendations on UNIX. A most
remarkable book just landed in my mailbox:

Douglas Comer, Operating System Design, Volume II, Internetworking with XINU,
Prentice-Hall ISBN 0-13-637414-X 025

This is the followup book to his Xinu Operating System book and extends
his operating system to Arpa InterNetworking functionality. It steps
through hardware and layer by layer software implementation of the
protocols including namespace issues, routing, ARP, RARP, ICMP, a
stateless file server, telnet, mail...need I go on? The whole thing
in one textbook.

Wanna be a networking guru? Pick one up, I am impressed as hell.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

Newsgroups: comp.unix.wizards
>From: cdunlop@wright.EDU (Chuck Dunlop)

"Exploring the Unix System", by Stephen G. Kochan and Patrick H. Wood
is very usable; it also has an introduction to vi.

	The UNIX Programming Environment
	by Brian Kernighan and Rob Pike
	Prentice-Hall Software Series

	Introducing the UNIX System
	by Henry McGilton and Rachael Morgan
	(McGraw-Hill Software Series for
	 Computer Professionals -- A Byte Book)
	(c) 1983 by Stoneman Systems
	$18.95 in paperback

	UNIX Shell Programming
	by Stephen G. Kochan and Patrick H. Wood
	Hayden Book Company
	$24.95

 > "A Commentary on the UNIX Operating System", John Lions, Univ NSW.
 > "The Design of the UNIX Operating System", Maurice Bach, AT&T-IS.

 > The former is an internal-only (numbered) booklet which is an
 > explanation (well, it is if you already understand it) of the v6
 > kernel source. The latter is a book, recently published, the author
 > prepared and taught the AT&T internal UNIX System V Fundamentals course
 > (not the good one). I didn't actually read Bach yet but it has been
 > recommended to me.

>From: rs2@houxu.UUCP (Robert Switzer KA2CZU)

"The Design of the UNIX Operating System"
by Maurice J. Bach, Prentice-Hall, Inc. 1986
ISBN 0-13-201799-7

"This book fives a detailed description of the operating system.  It
concentrates on a description of UNIX System V produced by AT&T but
considers interesting features provided by other versions too.  It examines
major data structures and algorithms used in the operating system that
ultimately provide the users with the standard user interface".
from Ch. 1 pg.1 of TDOTUOS.

Robert Switzer KA2CZU - AT&T Information Systems
Rm 2J208, Holmdel, NJ (201)949-7281

dbakerst!kitty!sunybcs!rocksanne!rochester!seismo!mcvax!diku!olamb!kimcm
>From: kimcm@olamb.UUCP (Kim Chr. Madsen)

	The Design of the UNIX Operating System
	Maurice J. Bach
	Prentice-Hall Software Series
	ISBN 0-13-201799-7 025

The book is fairly new (1986), and describes the the internal algorithms
and structures for the kernel and the relations to the programmer interface.

>From: crayinc@mhuxi.UUCP (Rick)

	Since the level of book was not stated I am listing 3 levels.

	Beginner:	A Practical Guide to UNIX System V
			Mark G Sobell  Benjamin Cummins Pub.

	Intermediate:   The UNIX Programming Environment
			Brian Kernighan/Rob Pike  Prentice Hall

	Expert:		The Design of the UNIX Operating System
			Maurice Bach   Prentice Hall

-- Rick Tillbrook
   ihnp4!mhuxi!crayinc

>From stephen Thu Feb  5 19:01:58 1987

I finally bought _A_Practical_Guide_to_UNIX_System_V_.  What a
great book.  If you ever want to recommend a book to someone as a
start in UNIX I think they would appreciate this recommendation.
I can't remember if you've seen it or even have it.  I know Gary
does.  I wish it had been the first book I bought.

Newsgroups: comp.text

Scott Simpson wrote in the discussion of troff/TEX:
> Troff is documented but not nearly as well.

True, but there are (at least) 3 recent books on troff that
can help.  I'll mention the one I co-authored first...

1.  troff Typesetting for UNIX(tm) Systems, Sandra L. Emerson and
    Karen Paulsell, Prentice-Hall

2.  UNIX(tm) NROFF/TROFF A User's Guide, Kevin P. Roddy, Holt
    Rinehart and Wilson

3.  The author is Narain Gehani, and I think the book is called
    Document Formatting on UNIX Systems.

I can't really describe the 2 other books; one person who has seen
all three told me that we spend a lot more time describing all the
troff primitives and their interactions, Gehani focusses more on -mm,
and Roddy on -ms and -me modifications.

Newsgroups: comp.unix.questions
Subject: Re: Looking for "Nutshell" handbooks
Date: 28 Feb 87 19:57:12 GMT

The publisher of Nutshell is O'Reilly & Associates, 171 Jackson Street,
Newton, Mass 02159617 527 4210. There are five volumes and they are $7.50
each.

You might also look for UNIX Communications by The Waite Group and published
by Howard W. Sams in May. This book has everything in all the Nutshells in
one book, but the total isn't $37.50. There is also much more information
about using USENET in the Waite Group title.

Newsgroups: comp.unix.questions
Date: 28 Feb 87 16:36:42 GMT

Nutshell Handbooks
O'Reilly & Associates Inc.
171 Jackson Street
Newton MA 02159

I have their "Reading & Writing TERMCAP Entries", and "Programming With
Curses".  They are very good.  I recommend them highly.

From: bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.questions
Subject: Looking for "Nutshell" handbooks
Date: 1 Mar 87 02:21:02 GMT

>I am trying to locate the publisher of the "Unix-in-a-Nutshell" handbooks.
>Does anyone know their address or telephone number?
>
>(These little books provide a quick introduction to Unix, vi, and uucp,
>and are filled with lots of "copy this or adapt it for your needs"
>examples).

O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
171 Jackson Street
Newton, MA 02159

I am posting this because I think they are actually worth looking into
for the larger community. They're little books (5 1/2" x 8" stock,
less than 100pp) which go over quickly a lot of things about basic
UNIX etc. I would think naive user's would find them a nice,
non-threatening introductions (we can get to the threats later :-)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

Newsgroups: comp.unix.questions
Date: 2 Mar 87 18:17:42 GMT

In article <5750@dartvax.UUCP> andyb%burlcoat@dartvax.UUCP (Andy Behrens) writes:
>I am trying to locate the publisher of the "Unix-in-a-Nutshell" handbooks.
>Does anyone know their address or telephone number?

O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
981 Chestnut St.
Newton, MA  02164

The UUCP/USENET volumes are worth their weight in gold!  I've been trying to
administer a node outside my regular duties and just have not had the time
to find all the good material the Nutshell Handbooks have  ---  nonetheless
the time to organize it well!  These do the job!!

Rob Lake

Newsgroups: comp.unix.questions
Date: 3 Mar 87 16:03:30 GMT

The Nutshell handbooks are published by:

   O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
   981 Chestnut Street
   Newton, Mass.  02164

There are seven of them that I know of, and they are
extremely useful.

     ... cit-vax!elroy!smeagol!jplgodo!chas2!bruce

  --Bruce McLaughlin          Jet Propulsion Laboratory
                              4800 Oak Grove Drive, M/S 301/250D
                              Pasadena, California, 91109
                                  (818) 354-0280

From: bobm@agsm.unsw.oz (Robert Marks)
Newsgroups: comp.text
Subject: DWB: Latest version of eqn -- including "include"?
Date: 15 Mar 87 08:37:44 GMT

    In his book "Document Formatting and Typesetting on the UNIX System,"
(Summit, NJ: Silicon Press, 1986), Narain Gehani lists (pp.248-) "Recent
Enhancements to eqn."  His list of eight changes includes some -- multi-
character font names are now accepted -- which have been implemented on our
version (in System 5.2.2 Unix on a Vax 11/780), and some which have not been
implemented.

Newsgroups: comp.text,comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.wizards
Subject: Re: TROFF or NROFF drivers
Date: 28 Mar 87 05:08:47 GMT

There is a book on UNIX Text Processing coming out in about two months
that will have appendices on writing ditroff font width tables.  It will
be published by Hayden/Sams; the authors are Tim O'Reilly and Dale
Dougherty of O'Reilly and Associates.

I'll post a short thing on them here over the weekend.

Pat Wood
bellcore!phw5!phw		(ignore the unirot address -- I only read
				 my mail here every few days)

From: donna@casey.UUCP
Newsgroups: comp.text
Subject: _nroff/troff:_A_User's_Guide_
Date: 19 May 87 16:58:03 GMT

Am I getting a little peeved?  I think so.

I've been reading reviews for _UNIX_nroff/troff:_A_User's_Guide_
by Kevin P. Roddy (Holt, Rinehart & Winston, New York, 1987) and I
decided this was a book I could use.  But it doesn't seem to be available!

Our bookstore first told me that it was out of print.  Then I sent them
a photocopy of the review and I got a note back saying that HR&W claimed
it wasn't their publication (well, maybe not in Canada....) And my
favourite (and usually very complete) computer bookstore also claims it's
out of print.

Has anybody actually purchased a copy?  Any suggestions for a Canadian
supplier?  (or will I have to make a weekend trip to Seattle?)

Donna Hrynkiw
Systems & Computing - Kwantlen College
PO Box 9030,  Surrey BC Canada V3T 5H8
...!ubc-vision!casey!donna
donna@casey.kwantlen.bcc.cdn

Newsgroups: comp.unix.questions
Subject: Re: Fork and Join, Pipe in C
Date: 15 Jun 87 17:22:12 GMT

> Are there any books on these topics.

	Yet another good book on UNIX (although probably too advanced for the
	fork/join/pipe questions) is THE DESIGN OF THE UNIX OPERATING SYSTEM
	by Maurice Bach, c. 1986, Bell Telephone Laboratories (Prentice-Hall
	software series).  In this book, Bach describes the internal data
	structures and algorithms of the kernel, and details how
	these support the user interface.  As a Unix programmer who
	understands most of the system calls fairly well and would like
	to begin digging at the kernel,  I have found this books to be
	complete and informative.  The Advanced UNIX Programming book
	mentioned earlier is also very good.

Mark A Johnson - Eastman Kodak Co. - Dept 646 - KEEPS - Rochester, NY 14650

Newsgroups: comp.text
Subject: Review: Emerson & Paulsell/troff
Date: 18 Jun 87 16:47:49 GMT

At the last Unix Users' Show, I bought a new book on troff.

``Troff typesetting for Unix[tm] systems''  is probably the best overall
in-depth introduction to using troff or ditroff that I have found, and
will also be useful to more experienced users.

%Author	Sandra L. Emerson
%Author	Karen Paulsell
%Title	Troff typesetting for \*{UNIX} systems
%Inst	Prentice Hall
%Date	1987
%Pages	359
%Other	Includes Index
%ISBN	0-13-930959 (paperback)
%LConCN	86-12299
%Dewey	686.2'2544

Referred to below as "E & P" after the authors' initials.

Overview:

Unlike many of the other works on the subject (such as Gehani's book),
E & P spends little time on the established "macro packages" such as
the AT&T "-mm" package, but deals instead with the basics.
This approach may sound ``botton-up'', but it seems to work quite well.

The text is readable and clear, and there are relatively few errors.
All of the main issues are at least mentioned, and there are many examples.

After studying the book, a reasonably intelligent reader should be able to
write their own macros to describe formats for multiple columns, footnotes,
indexes, tables of contents, tables and the like.

There's mention of proprietary systems (SoftQuad, Eroff, Wizard, Xroff),
although the info is rather out of date, at any rate for SoftQuad.

Differences between nroff, troff and ditroff are mentioned in most places
where they're relevant, and nroff users will appreciate the note on writing
an nroff driving table.

Overall, I reccommend E & P as both an introduction to troff and as a
reference for more experienced users.

There are only a few caveats:

@ There's not enough mention of typographical issues for my taste.

@ There are a few errors, particularly in the treatment of tabs ("\t" and "\a"
are expanded only in copy mode, so a couple of their examples don't work;
you have to use the ASCII TAB and SOH (^I, ^A) respectively), which are
frustrating to beginners and which add to the number of support calls we
get!

@ There's no treatment of pic, grap or refer.  As the book is explicitly
about troff, this isn't really a criticism, just a "beware".

@ Some of the examples use a proportionally spaced font, so it's hard to
work out where to type spaces.  This is very minor.

@ The table of requests reproduced from Osanna's manual doesn't include the
``notes'' column that says which requests cause a Break, etc., which slightly
reduce the book's use as a reference manual

And a few specific good points:

@ The 11-page index is helpful and reasonably comprehensive without
irritating jokes about Bo Derek (page 10) or recursion (see recursion).

@ The prose is informal and doesn't read like a lawyer's underlease,
without seeming affected by trying to be friendly.

@ There are a lot of examples, and most of them are quite well-chosen and
do work (but watch out for the tabs, which don't!).

@ Notes on modifying macro packages, such as -ms, are rare in books such as
these, and will no doubt be welcomed.

@ From my point of view, it's useful that the writers were aare of a number
of different versions of troff, as their "code" is portable.  All of the
examples which work will run with SoftQuad troff, which means that we can
recommend the book without saying "but watch for...".  Other vendors who
haven't introduced incompatibilities could do the same.  Reference manuals
are all very well, but this is written for _humans_!

@ The book is reasonably priced -- it isn't cheap at around UK#26, but
you seem to get good value by Prentice Hall standards.

Russell

--
Russell Quin, Unixsys UK Ltd, The Genesis Centre, Birchwood, Warrington WA3 7BH
{utai,ukc!mucs}!anduk!russ [please don't try to use mucs!anduk!utai!...]

>From: tim@ora.UUCP (Tim O'Reilly)
>
>    I need detailed and thorough instructions to set up UUCP.  A book on UUCP
> will be very helpful.  Anybody got something ???  Please mail me
> title/author/publisher (anything to track it down by).  Something that covered
> UUCP internals as well would be really great.
> Thanks.

My company publishes two books on UUCP:  Using UUCP and
Usenet (172 pages) and Managing UUCP and Usenet (216 pages).  The
Managing book sounds like what you need.  It has recently
been updated and expanded to cover BNU (HoneyDanBer UUCP) as
well as the old Version 2 UUCP, and we've added a lot of
material on debugging connections, and so on.

You can order the books by sending $9 for Using UUCP, and
$12 for Managing UUCP, plus $2.50 shipping and handling to:

Nutshell Handbooks
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
981 Chestnut Street,
Newton, MA 02164

or by calling 1-800-338-NUTS (617-527-4210 in MA).  MC &
VISA ok.

Nutshell Handbook is a trademark of O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
Tim O'Reilly (617) 527-4210
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., Publishers of Nutshell Handbooks
981 Chestnut Street, Newton, MA 02164
UUCP:	seismo!uunet!ora!tim      ARPA:   tim@ora.uu.net

From: tim@ora.UUCP
Newsgroups: comp.text
Subject: [book] troff indexes
Date: 10 Aug 87 14:48:13 GMT

In article <MV5siey00Vs6c7E0Nt@andrew.cmu.edu>, ao06+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ayami Ogura) writes:

> Has anybody out there ever created an index with troff?  Or had success using
> the ptx program?

In our book, UNIX Text Processing, (Hayden Books/Howard
Sams, April 1987), Dale Dougherty and I discuss this topic
in detail.  You can write a macro that prints out an index
entry plus a page number; this data can either be collected
into a diversion, or preferably written to stderr with the
.tm request (in otroff or ditroff) or directly into a file
with .sy echo (ditroff only).

This file can be postprocessed with sort, awk and sed to combine
multiple entries, and to format the index properly.

Ptx is not all that useful, but if you need to make one, you
need it.  The process is too long to go into here (since I'm
reading news early one morning over a long-distance phone
link while ostensibly on vacation), but if
you send me mail, I'll send you out details when I get back
to the office in a couple of weeks.

If there is sufficient interest, I'll post the discussion to
the net.  (Note:  ptx is not covered in our book.  Sorry.)
--
Tim O'Reilly (617) 527-4210
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., Publishers of Nutshell Handbooks
981 Chestnut Street, Newton, MA 02164
UUCP:	seismo!uunet!ora!tim      ARPA:   tim@ora.uu.net

That's it folks!