[net.cooks] What is hoisin sauce?

wargo@sdcsla.UUCP (Dave Wargo) (07/25/85)

I am in the process of trying new pasta dishes.

One of the recipes call for hoisin sauce.  What is this elixer of
life?  Is it hard to come by ? How is it pronounced ?

Thanks

Dave Wargo

ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcsla:wargo

billr@tekred.UUCP (Bill Randle) (07/29/85)

>I am in the process of trying new pasta dishes.
>
>One of the recipes call for hoisin sauce.  What is this elixer of
>life?  Is it hard to come by ? How is it pronounced ?
>
>Thanks
>
>Dave Wargo

It is a Chinese spicy sauce - somewhat like a form of BBQ sauce. I
use it as part of a marinade recipie.  It is available from the
Oriental or specialty foods section of your supermarket. Not all
stores carry it though, I got mine at Safeway.  (I'm not sure how
it's pronounced.)

	-Bill Randle
	Tektronix, Inc.

	tektronix!tekred!billr			(uucp)
	tekred!billr@tektronix.csnet		(CSnet)
	tekred!billr%tektronix@csnet-relay.ARPA	(ARPA)

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (07/29/85)

> One of the recipes call for hoisin sauce.  What is this elixer of
> life?  Is it hard to come by ? How is it pronounced ?

Hoisin (pronounced "hoy sin") sauce is a dark brown, goopy, sweet sauce
most commonly encountered near your mooshu pork.  (it's the stuff you
put on the pancake before you add the mooshu)  You should be able to
find it at a good "gourmet" section of a grocery store, or in a Chinese
food market.  If you can't find one, try asking at one or more of your
favorite Chinese restaurants.
Nemo
--
Internet:	nemo@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{decvax, allegra, seismo, cmcl2}!rochester!nemo

prastein@uiucuxa.Uiuc.ARPA (07/29/85)

	You can find hoisin (hoy-sin' I believe) at any oriental
food mart.  I'm not sure what's in it but it's quite tasty and
found in many Chinese dishes (e.g. mu-shu-pork)

wildbill@ucbvax.ARPA (William J. Laubenheimer) (07/30/85)

>One of the recipes call for hoisin sauce.  What is this elixer of
>life?  Is it hard to come by ? How is it pronounced ?

>Dave Wargo

It is one of the standard sauces used in Chinese cooking. You can probably
find it at your friendly neighborhood Chinese grocery if your local supermarket
doesn't stock it (around here, almost all the larger stores have it). It
comes in jars or cans. I pronounce it "HOY-sin", and haven't confused
any Chinese restaurant waiters too badly yet.

                                        Bill Laubenheimer
----------------------------------------UC-Berkeley Computer Science
     ...Killjoy went that-a-way--->     ucbvax!wildbill

geoff@denelvx.UUCP (Geoff Baum) (07/30/85)

> I am in the process of trying new pasta dishes.
>
> One of the recipes call for hoisin sauce.  What is this elixer of
> life?  Is it hard to come by ? How is it pronounced ?

This is a chinese (bean based, I think) sauce.  Look in the oriental
foods section of your local supermarket.  It is pronounced "hoi-shin"
where "hoi" rhymes with "oi" (as in oil), and "shin" is pronounced
half-way between "sin" and "shin" (most Americans pronounce it "shin").
Taste the stuff before using it since some people have a stronge dislike
for the stuff.

Geoff

chai@utflis.UUCP (Henry Chai) (08/01/85)

In article <938@sdcsla.UUCP> wargo@sdcsla.UUCP (Dave Wargo) writes:
>One of the recipes call for hoisin sauce.  What is this elixer of
>life?  Is it hard to come by ? How is it pronounced ?

"Hoisin" means seafood in chinese, ('hoi' = sea, 'sin' (actually 'seen' in the
Cantonese dialect) = fresh), altho why it's called that I'll never know;
it's rarely, if ever, served with seafood.
(and it ain't made with seafood either!)
It is actually a kind of sweet soy paste, like a glorified soy sauce.
It should be in almost every chinese grocery store, and I don't think there
is anything that can substitute for it.
--
Henry Chai
Faculty of Library and Information Science, U of Toronto

joeloda@aicchi.UUCP (Joseph D. Loda) (08/01/85)

       As an additional note, a Chinese cooking instructor informed us that
Hoisin is actually a brand name for Chinese seasoning sauce.  Evidently,
whoever was making Hoisin sauce was getting upset at those marketing their
own seasoning sauce and calling it Hoisin.  Therefore, you may be able to
find a perfectly good substitute for Hoisin-brand sauce under the
non-descriptive name "Seasoning Sauce".

--
Joe Loda
Analysts International (Chicago Branch)

slk@mit-vax.UUCP (Ling Ku) (08/04/85)

Hoi in Chinese means sea; sin means tasty, frequently associated with the
taste of seafood; hoi-sin together could also mean seafood.
So hoi-sin sauce literally means sauce that is made out of seafood.
I don't know whether the name still has any connection with its ingredient.

--

					Siu-Ling Ku
					{decvax, harvard}!mitvax!slk