[comp.unix.questions] Any way to implement "Boss is coming" program?

ctfg@ecf.UUCP (08/19/87)

I would like to be able, with as few key strokes and as much speed
as possible, to blank the screen of the current job, and replace it
with something looking more like official "work".  The best I've
been able to do is use ^Z to stop the job, and alias "z" to some
likely program.  But this takes a little too much time.  A single
key stroke would be even better.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  As you can imagine, the
names have been changed to protect the guilty, so don't try to
respond with mail.  I'm sure enough people out there would find
this interesting to justify responses on the net.

mlf@genrad.UUCP (Matt Fichtenbaum) (08/21/87)

[the original poster wanted a quick way to clear his terminal
of incriminating evidence and replace same with a screenful of
something that looked like work]

"Screens" is a window manager written by someone in Germany.  Each
window is a full screen and has a separate shell associated with
it; simple two-keystroke sequences switch between windows.  It was
posted to comp.sources.unix a while back.

jane@tolerant.UUCP (Jane Medefesser) (08/21/87)

In article <234@mv04.ecf.toronto.edu>, ctfg@ecf.toronto.edu (Caspar the Friendly Ghost) writes:
> I would like to be able, with as few key strokes and as much speed
> as possible, to blank the screen of the current job, and replace it
> with something looking more like official "work".

Alas, wouldn't it just be a whole lot easier to do your goofing-off on
off-hours???

--
* Not me, baby - I'm too precious *

Jane Medefesser		uucp: {pyramid,bene,mordor,oliveb}!tolerant!jane
Tolerant Systems 	tele: +1 408 433 5588

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (08/22/87)

|I would like to be able, with as few key strokes and as much speed
|as possible, to blank the screen of the current job, and replace it
|with something looking more like official "work".  The best I've
|been able to do is use ^Z to stop the job, and alias "z" to some
|likely program.  But this takes a little too much time.  A single
|key stroke would be even better.

Well, on the VT series you could try SET-UP RESET. ("Uh, the computer
have sent the full reset sequence, sir.").

Hmm, why don't you get a more fun job if you have to pretend to work
where you are now? :-)

	Ken

mikep@ism780c.UUCP (Michael A. Petonic) (08/22/87)

In article <234@mv04.ecf.toronto.edu> ctfg@ecf.toronto.edu (Caspar the Friendly Ghost) writes:
>I would like to be able, with as few key strokes and as much speed
>as possible, to blank the screen of the current job, and replace it
>with something looking more like official "work".  The best I've
>been able to do is use ^Z to stop the job, and alias "z" to some
>likely program.  But this takes a little too much time.  A single
>key stroke would be even better.

Caspar (tee hee):
	I have found that on 4.xbsd systems the recent posting to
	comp.sources.unix has been very helpful.  I am referring
	to screen.

	I really don't have to hide when I get in a good game
	of Larn or something, but I can see applications....

	Screen allows you to have multiple screens and just by pressing
	^A^A, you switch to the last screen (which could convienently
	display some section of the kernel being edited in
	vi).  It redraws within .5 seconds.

	When I used to have your problem, my solution was to
	quit out of the game (of course with a save), clear the
	screen and then (here's the kicker) compile a link to
	/etc/termcap that was a .c file.  Compiling /etc/termcap
	generated so many error messages that everyone else had
	to think that you were doing real work.

MikeP
{seismo|sdcrdcf}!ism780c!mikep

boss:  I only play games when things are slow, really...

philip@axis.fr (Philip Peake) (08/22/87)

In article <234@mv04.ecf.toronto.edu>, ctfg@ecf.toronto.edu (Caspar the Friendly Ghost) writes:
> I would like to be able, with as few key strokes and as much speed
> as possible, to blank the screen of the current job, and replace it
> with something looking more like official "work".

Get yourself a PC/AT running Microport UNIX, or XENIX.
Then when you work on the console, you can swap screens with one
keystroke.

When the bos goes away, one more key stroke, and your playing hack again ...

Philip

ries@trwrb.UUCP (Marc Ries) (08/24/87)

[the original poster wanted a quick way to clear his terminal
of incriminating evidence and replace same with a screenful of
something that looked like work]

 If you have a terminal with one or more "function" (programmable or
 otherwise) keys:

   You can load the function key to run a command or sequence
   and then just hit the key to invoke things, or

   Alias the output of a non-programmable function key to some
   command or sequence to do the job.

--
		Marc A. Ries

		sdcrdcf!---\
                ihnp4!------\----- trwrb! --- ries

bs@augusta.UUCP (Burch Seymour) (08/25/87)

in article <282@axis.fr>, philip@axis.fr (Philip Peake) says:

> In article <234@mv04.ecf.toronto.edu>, ctfg@ecf.toronto.edu (Caspar the Friendly Ghost) writes:
>> I would like to be able, with as few key strokes and as much speed
>> as possible, to blank the screen of the current job, and replace it
>> with something looking more like official "work".

I missed the original article so I don't know if you mentioned what system
you are using, but there was a source posted on comp.sources.unix (I believe)
called screen that will do what you want. Screen allows windows on a
4.3 BSD system. You can have things running in up to 10 windows and
switch by using ctrl-a # to any of the windows that are open. I use it
all the time now. It's very useful to be able to let a script run
in the foreground and still be able to switch to other activities.

-bs-

kurt@hi.UUCP (Kurt Zeilenga) (08/26/87)

In article <234@mv04.ecf.toronto.edu> ctfg@ecf.toronto.edu (Caspar the Friendly Ghost) writes:
>I would like to be able, with as few key strokes and as much speed
>as possible, to blank the screen of the current job, and replace it
>with something looking more like official "work".

Programable function keys could be used.  Then have suitable program
waiting in backgound (so it just has to swap it in) and then the
function key could do a "^Z%-^M" (w/ csh).

Now, if you really wanted to get fancy you could write a C program
to do this faster and without the need of function keys.

FYI, my employer allows me to read news, so I have no need for
doing any of this.