[comp.unix.questions] The DSR pin - what is it used for?

robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) (08/23/87)

This is maybe a dumb question, but what is the intended use of pin 6,
the one named DSR or Data Set Ready in the RS232 standard? I've seen
that some devices (especially modems) uses it, but most ignores it (such
as computers and terminals). Is it really needed for modem-control
signaling or can I simply connect it to pin 20 (DTR) at the other end?
How should it be connected in a null-modem cable when I want to connect
two DTE devices with modem control?
--
SNAIL:	Robert Claeson, PVAB, P.O. Box 4040, S-171 04 Solna, Sweden
UUCP:	{seismo,mcvax,munnari}!enea!pvab!robert

jfh@killer.UUCP (The Beach Bum) (08/26/87)

In article <304@pvab.UUCP>, robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) writes:
> This is maybe a dumb question, but what is the intended use of pin 6,
> the one named DSR or Data Set Ready in the RS232 standard? I've seen
> that some devices (especially modems) uses it, but most ignores it (such
> as computers and terminals). Is it really needed for modem-control
> signaling or can I simply connect it to pin 20 (DTR) at the other end?
> How should it be connected in a null-modem cable when I want to connect
> two DTE devices with modem control?

Below is the copy of a file I keep around for cable building.  It lists the
most common signals on a RS-232 DB-25 connector for Data Terminal Equipment.

Might do you some good to save a copy of this file (maybe as /usr/pub/rs232)

CONNECTOR SIGNALS

DTE Wired Equipment

 1 - Chassis Ground
 2 - Transmit Data		(output)
 3 - Receive Data		(input)
 4 - Request to Send		(output)
 5 - Clear to Send		(input)
 6 - Data Set Ready		(input)
 7 - Signal Ground
 8 - Carrier Detect		(input)
20 - Data Terminal Ready	(output)

As you can see, DSR is an input signal.  What normally goes on with this
signal is you connect it to DCD for a modem (least ways I do) or DTR for
a terminal.

MULTIPLEXOR to PLEXUS P/60 CABLE

P l e x u s   P / 6 0       M u l t i p l e x o r

2   -----------------------------------------   3

3   -----------------------------------------   2

4   -----------------------------------------   5

6   -----------------------------------------  20

7   -----------------------------------------   7

20  -----------------------------------------   6

This would be how I would connect a Case Multiplexor Port to a serial
port on the P/60 (The one we are getting rid of :-).  Basically, RxD
and TxD are swapped and DTR and DSR are also swapped.  This works
pretty well.

One big suggetion - once you find a cable wiring that works, save it
in a file someplace public (unless only you make cables at your site)
so that the rest of the world won't have to go through the grief of
figuring out how to wire an IBM/PC to an HP Plotter.  Identifying
equipment as DTE or DCE make swapping the numbers alot easier.

---------- END OF `CABLE IN COMPUTER SCIENCE' 101 --------

John.
--
John F. Haugh II		HECI Exploration Co. Inc.
UUCP:	...!ihnp4!killer!jfh	11910 Greenville Ave, Suite 600

howard@COS.COM (Howard C. Berkowitz) (08/26/87)

In article <304@pvab.UUCP>, robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) writes:
> This is maybe a dumb question, but what is the intended use of pin 6,
> the one named DSR or Data Set Ready in the RS232 standard?

There is a difference between what the standard says and what most
implementers do with it.  The standard says:

"Signals on this circuit are used to indicate the status of
 the local data set.  The ON condition on this circuit is
 presented to indicate that

    a) the local data communications equipment is connected to
       a communication channel (OFF HOOK in switched service)
  AND b) the local DCE is not in test (local or remote),
         talk, or dial mode
  AND c) the local DCE has completed, where applicable,
          1.  any timing functions required by the switching
              system to complete call establishment,
          2.  the transmission of any discrete answer tone..."

In practice, the signal does not mean that much on most modems;
it usually means only that the modem has power.  Carrier detect
and Clear to Send usually mean, to a much greater extent, that
you have a viable channel.

 I've seen
> that some devices (especially modems) uses it, but most ignores it (such
> as computers and terminals). Is it really needed for modem-control
> signaling or can I simply connect it to pin 20 (DTR) at the other end?
> How should it be connected in a null-modem cable when I want to connect
> two DTE devices with modem control?

    Be sure you connect Pin 20 of end 1 to Pin 6 of end 2 and vice
   versa, or simply connect local Pin 20 to local Pin 6 at both
   ends.   You may also want to tie Pin 8 to pin 20 at each end.

--
-- howard(Howard C. Berkowitz) @cos.com
 {seismo!sundc, hadron, hqda-ai}!cos!howard

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (08/28/87)

DSR, Data Set Ready is used to allow a DCE (modem, for example) to
tell a DTE (terminal or computer) that it (the DCE) is in an on-line
state.  This differs from the CD signal that says the modem is actually
connected to something.  In other words, a DTE would check the DSR
signal to determine if the modem is out there before dialing.

In a direct connect situation between two DTEs, you should just be
able to connect DTR to DSR.

--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549,       +----------------+
Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX             | NO CONTRA AID! |