[comp.unix.questions] BSD4.3 available for VAX 8200/8300?

dudek@ubglue.ksr.com (Glen Dudek) (08/28/87)

Has anyone ported 4.2/4.3BSD to the VAX 8200 or (preferably)
the VAX 8300?  I remember hearing at the Atlanta Usenix that
CMU (Mach group) ported 4.3BSD to the VAX 8200, and gave the changes to
Berkeley, but I don't know about the availability of such changes.
Has anyone outside of Berkeley/CMU managed to get a hold of these changes?
If so, how?  Do these changes depend on having an Ultrix source license?
We don't have one of those, but we do have a 4.3BSD source license, and we
need to run a source kernel.

Thanks in advance!

	Glen Dudek
	(harvard!ksr!dudek || dudek@harvard.harvard.edu)

chris@mimsy.UUCP (08/30/87)

In article <183@ksr.UUCP> dudek@ubglue.ksr.com (Glen Dudek) writes:
>Has anyone ported 4.2/4.3BSD to the VAX 8200

Yes.  (Well, it *runs*; I expect it to change, possibly radically,
after I read some real hardware manuals.  For instance, one Vax is
crashing with machine check 10, BI bus error, on occasion, while
trying to read its DEUNA....)

>or (preferably) the VAX 8300?

No (at least, not I).

>I remember hearing at the Atlanta Usenix that CMU (Mach group)
>ported 4.3BSD to the VAX 8200, and gave the changes to Berkeley,

Approximately.  I am not sure of the details (and would rather stay
unsure :-) ).

>Do these changes depend on having an Ultrix source license?

I cannot speak for CMU, but I intend that mine will not.  (I have
managed not to look at DEC's DEBNT driver for a while; now if only
that Interlan holds up on the 8600 until I get those manuals. . . .)
Domain:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu	Path:	seismo!mimsy!chris