[comp.unix.questions] Proper 4.3BSD printcap entry for Laserwriter

grandi@noao.arpa (Steve Grandi) (08/29/87)

How does one set up a proper /etc/printcap for an Apple Laserwriter on a
4.3BSD system?  I want to run TeX output and ditroff output generated by
Pipeline's devps.

I'm not running Adobe Transcript on the 4.3BSD VAX, but I've cribbed the
printcap entry from a Sun which is, and the entry is as follows:

lp2|lw2:\
	:lp=/dev/lw:\
	:br#9600:rw:fc#0000374:fs#0000003:xc#0:xs#0040040:mx#0:sf:sb:\
	:sd=/usr/spool/lw2:\
	:lf=/usr/spool/lw2/lw-log:

According to my reading of tty(4), the mode bits set CBREAK and TANDEM and
LDECCTQ and LLITOUT.

I can tip to /dev/lw and converse with the laser printer, and I can
"cat file.ps > /dev/lw" and get nice clean output.  Yet if I
"lpr -Plw2 file.ps", strange things happen.  The Laserwriter's yellow
light blinks for the appropriate amount of time and I can see lights moving
around down inside the cover release cutout; but no pages are printed.

Any ideas?  Any working printcaps?
--
Steve Grandi, National Optical Astronomy Observatories, Tucson AZ, 602-325-9228
UUCP: {arizona,decvax,hao,ihnp4}!noao!grandi  or  uunet!noao.arizona.edu!grandi

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (08/29/87)

In article <643@noao.UUCP> grandi@noao.arpa (Steve Grandi) writes:
> How does one set up a proper /etc/printcap for an Apple Laserwriter on a
> 4.3BSD system?

	Here's what we've been using for the past couple of years.  This
works fine for us using Adobe's pscomm (part of the transcript package) to
do the low-level communication with the printer.  We've used essentially
the same printcap entry on 4.2BSD, 4.3BSD, Sun-3.0 and Sun-3.2 systems.

# Apple LaserWriter in room 1074
laser10|laser|postscript|PostScript:\
	:lp=/dev/laser:br#9600:\
	:fs#0000003:fc#0000374:\
	:xs#0040040:xc#0000000:\
	:pl#66:pw#80:\
	:mx#0:\
	:rw:sf:sb:\
	:sd=/usr/spool/laser10:\
	:af=/usr/adm/lpd/laser10.acct:lf=/usr/spool/laser10/laser-log:\
	:if=/usr/lib/ps/psif:\
	:of=/usr/lib/ps/psof:gf=/usr/lib/ps/psgf:\
	:nf=/usr/lib/ps/psnf:tf=/usr/lib/ps/pstf:\
	:rf=/usr/lib/ps/psrf:vf=/usr/lib/ps/psvf:\
	:cf=/usr/lib/ps/pscf:df=/usr/lib/ps/psdf:
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

hls@oce-rd1.UUCP (09/01/87)

In article <643@noao.UUCP> grandi@noao.arpa (Steve Grandi) writes:

>How does one set up a proper /etc/printcap for an Apple Laserwriter on a
>4.3BSD system?  I want to run TeX output and ditroff output generated by
>Pipeline's devps.

>I can tip to /dev/lw and converse with the laser printer, and I can
>"cat file.ps > /dev/lw" and get nice clean output.  Yet if I
>"lpr -Plw2 file.ps", strange things happen.  The Laserwriter's yellow
>light blinks for the appropriate amount of time and I can see lights moving
>around down inside the cover release cutout; but no pages are printed.
>
>Any ideas?  Any working printcaps?

We use the following printcap-entry for the Apple LaserWriter:

lw|laserwriter:\
	:lp=/dev/ttye2:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/lwd:\
	:br#9600:fs#06320:fc#040:pl#66:pw#96:\
	:lf=/usr/adm/lwd-errs:af=/usr/adm/lwd-acct:\
	:mx#0:sh:\
	:if=/usr/local/lib/print/nroff:nf=/usr/local/lib/print/ditroff:

Important: NO RAW MODE !!!!!

Furthermore you could use the following filters:

	==== ditroff =====
	#! /bin/csh
	echo ""
	cat - | devps -r
	echo ""
	==================

	==== nroff =======
	#! /bin/csh
	echo ""
	cat - | printer | reverse
	echo ""

Harry Schreurs

/*
 * This note does not necessarily represent the position
 * of Oce-Nederland B.V. Therefore no liability or
 * responsibility for whatever will be accepted.
 */