[comp.unix.questions] writers' work bench

wyle@ethz.UUCP (Mitchell Wyle) (08/10/87)

Where can we buy the Unix(tm) Writers' Work Bench software package?
How much?  Are there many delicious flavors?  Which is best for
Suns (tm)?

TIA  -Mitch Wyle

--
Mitchell F. Wyle           | csnet or arpa:  wyle%ifi.ethz.ch@relay.cs.net
Instituet fuer Informatik  | uucp:           wyle@ethz.uucp

page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (08/11/87)

wyle@ethz.UUCP (Mitchell Wyle) wrote:
>Where can we buy the Unix(tm) Writers' Work Bench software package?
>How much?  Are there many delicious flavors?  Which is best for
>Suns (tm)?

AT&T reps tell me that WWB is only available in binary form,
and only for 3b machines.

There is a customer survey/petition that AT&T is running, call them
at +1 800 828 UNIX (UNIX is 8649) and tell them you'd like to see them
license WWB in source form once again.  Maybe with enough customer
requests they'll do it.

I note that someone has just brought out WWB for the Amiga; the ad
(in AmigaWorld) says something like "under license from AT&T."

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.   page@ulowell.{uucp,edu,csnet}

patwood@unirot.UUCP (Patrick Wood) (08/12/87)

You can buy the Writer's Workbench in source form from AT&T.  In binary
form you can buy copies from Elan (415) 322-2450, Textware (617) UNI-TEXT,
and Image Network (415) 967-0542.  Note that other companies sell "enhanced"
versions of DWB under various names (SQtroff from SoftQuad, Crystalwriter
from I don't know who).  If you're interested in PostScript support, let
me know as we sell an add-on package for ditroff->PostScript conversion.

Pat Wood
{ihnp4,harpo,seismo,decvax}!bellcore!phw5!phw

guy%gorodish@Sun.COM (Guy Harris) (08/12/87)

> You can buy the Writer's Workbench in source form from AT&T.  In binary
> form you can buy copies from Elan (415) 322-2450, Textware (617) UNI-TEXT,
> and Image Network (415) 967-0542.  Note that other companies sell "enhanced"
> versions of DWB under various names (SQtroff from SoftQuad, Crystalwriter
> from I don't know who).  If you're interested in PostScript support, let
> me know as we sell an add-on package for ditroff->PostScript conversion.

I presume you meant *Documenter's* Workbench above?  WWB and DWB are rather
different beasts.
	Guy Harris
	guy@sun.com

ralph@ralmar.UUCP (Ralph Barker) (08/13/87)

In article <268@unirot.UUCP>, patwood@unirot.UUCP (Patrick Wood) writes:

> You can buy the Writer's Workbench in source form from AT&T.  In binary
> form you can buy copies from Elan (415) 322-2450, Textware (617) UNI-TEXT,
> [etc]

All of these WB's (WorkBenches) get confusing, and I think Pat has
succumbed to this frailty.  The binaries for DWB Rel 2.0, or Documenter's
Workbench(tm), ARE included with Eroff(tm), the laser typesetting system
from Elan Computer Group (for which I am a dealer, source of training and
support.)  Some version of DWB, I'm sure, also forms the basis of the other
formatting packages mentioned in Pat's article.

WWB, or Writer's Workbench, however, is NOT part of the same package.  At
least when I talked to AT&T's Product Manager for Writer's Workbench a
couple of months ago, WWB was ONLY available for AT&T's 3B Series (3B2
and "up" - NOT the 3B1).  She also indicated at that time that they had no
(then) current plans to make the source available to third parties.  The
current release of WWB available on the 3B's is supposed to be an
"enhanced" and expanded version of the "old" Writer's Workbench (portions
of which are included in BSD).  The current version of WWB is discussed in
Narain Gehani's Document Formatting book (Silicon Press, 1986), and was
reviewed in UNIX/World Magazine about a year ago.

Think of DWB as the "n/troff stuff" (nroff, troff, mm, eqn, tbl, pic, etc.),
and WWB as the "style and diction stuff".  As an aside, both of these
"WB's" are trademarks of AT&T.

--
Ralph Barker, RALMAR Business Systems, 640 So Winchester Blvd, San Jose,CA 95128
uucp: ...{pyramid, sun}!amdahl!unixprt----\ !ralmar!ralph

harrison@utfyzx.UUCP (08/13/87)

In article <268@unirot.UUCP> patwood@unirot.UUCP (Patrick Wood) writes:
>You can buy the Writer's Workbench in source form from AT&T.  In binary
>form you can buy copies ...
>Note that other companies sell "enhanced" versions of DWB under various
>names ...

The Writer's Workbench is NOT the Documenter's Workbench.  So far is I
know, one may no longer get WWB source from AT&T (or legally from
anybody else).  I believe that WWB binaries for AT&T computers only
are available from AT&T.

--
    David Harrison, Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Toronto
    {ihnp4,utzoo}!utgpu!utfyzx!harrison

patwood@unirot.UUCP (Patrick Wood) (08/15/87)

You're right, I was talking about the Documentor's Workbench, not the
Writer's Workbench (too many workbenches and I was working without my
contacts).  I don't know of any third-party sources for WWB; however,
I have heard rumors of a much improved set of programs that someone
is touting.  If you're really interested, they may be willing to let
you play with them.

Pat

root@hobbes.UUCP (08/15/87)

+---- David Harrison writes in article <1987Aug13.092019.19791@utfyzx.uucp> ----
| >You can buy the Writer's Workbench in source form from AT&T.  In binary
| >form you can buy copies ...
| The Writer's Workbench is NOT the Documenter's Workbench.  So far is I
| know, one may no longer get WWB source from AT&T (or legally from
| anybody else).  I believe that WWB binaries for AT&T computers only
| are available from AT&T.
+----

I spoke to Lynn (sp?) at the infamous 800/828-UNIX number and she confirmed
this, sortof.  It seems that ATTIS can not sell *new* copies of WWB source,
but if you have in the past gotten WWB from AT&T then they can sell you the
latest version!  She muttered something that sounded suspiciously like:
    "mumble mumble MARKETING mumble mumble :-)"
and sent my call off to someone else who kindly and quickly answered a few
other of my (prob. very simple, to him) questions.

  There is a WWB Users Group at CO University (UofCO?) which I will be trying
to find later this fall...  If you're out there and read this, you could drop
me a line and save some work :-) ...

--
John Plocher uwvax!geowhiz!uwspan!plocher  plocher%uwspan.UUCP@uwvax.CS.WISC.EDU

lmm@cpsc6b.cpsc6a.att.com (Lynda M. Milne) (09/01/87)

In article <180@hobbes.UUCP>, root@hobbes.UUCP (John Plocher) writes:
>   There is a WWB Users Group at CO University (UofCO?) which I will be trying
> to find later this fall...  If you're out there and read this, you could drop
> me a line and save some work :-) ...

The following information comes from the (mumble mumble MARKETING mumble mumble)
)
manager at AT&T, Morristown, New Jersey.  (He is also known as Jack Kosiorek,
and can be reached at 201-898-6474.):

The Writer's Workbench User's Group is headed by Dr. Charles Smith, Dept
of English, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, NJ.  Dr Smith's phone
is 303-491-6428.  The User's Group publishes a semi-annual newsletter.
You can contact Dr Smith about other group activity.

-Lynda Milne, AT&T, Oakland, CA (cpsc6a!cpsc6b!lmm)