[comp.unix.questions] MPulse computers and LPC, Dallas - 68020

root@hnsurg3.UUCP (Don Lawrence) (09/13/87)

Anyone familiar with MPulse u*ix boxes made by LPC, Dallas ?

Ad in Unix Review:
	-68020  at  16  MHz
	-TWO 68000's  for I/O
	-60 Mb (streaming, I guess) tape
	-50 Mb HD
	-Clone of Sys5
	-8 ports base at $5995.00

	No bus-type,  number of open slots,  or FPU capability
mentioned.

Appreciate any info.

--
Don Lawrence	                 {decvax,cbatt,cbosgd}!hal!ncoast!hnsurg3!don
(Generic disclaimer... )		             seismo!uunet!hnsurg3!don

root@hnsurg3.UUCP (Don Lawrence) (09/13/87)

Anyone familiar with MPulse u*ix boxes made by LPC, Dallas ?

Ad in Unix Review:
	-68020  at  16  MHz
	-TWO 68000's  for I/O
	-60 Mb (streaming, I guess) tape
	-50 Mb HD
	-Clone of Sys5
	-8 ports base at $5995.00

	No bus-type,  number of open slots,  or FPU capability
mentioned.

Appreciate any info.

--
Don Lawrence	                 {decvax,cbatt,cbosgd}!hal!ncoast!hnsurg3!don
(Generic disclaimer... )		             seismo!uunet!hnsurg3ED k9

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (09/14/87)

It's been a while since I talked to these guys but let me see
if I remember.  The only bus really is a proprietary high speed
memory channel.  There are no open slots.  There is a SCSI controller
on the back.  Pretty impressive little machine.

-Ron

wayne@fmsrl7.UUCP (//ichael R. //ayne) (09/15/87)

In article <275@hnsurg3.UUCP> root@hnsurg3.UUCP (Don Lawrence) writes:

>Anyone familiar with MPulse u*ix boxes made by LPC, Dallas ?
>
>Ad in Unix Review:
>	-68020  at  16  MHz
>	-TWO 68000's  for I/O
>	-60 Mb (streaming, I guess) tape
Streaming Cassette is standard, QIC costs $500 extra
>	-50 Mb HD
70 and larger available.
>	-Clone of Sys5
It's V.1 (sort of) with "extensions"
>	-8 ports base at $5995.00
>
>	No bus-type,  number of open slots,  or FPU capability
>mentioned.

	No bus.  No slots.  68881 socket provided.

	I and 3 of my co-workers each purchased one.  I know 2 other owners.
If ANYone else out there has one, PLEASE contact me.  We have been bringing
up various packages on this box, willing to swap.

	Machine is FAST.  2 Meg of disk cache goes a long way to helping
things out.  SCSI bus out the back works (I dropped a Maxtor 3280, 280 Meg
drive on mine).  Software is a bit weak.  Virtual memory was not working
right but I just got a new kernal and that appears to fix the problems.
Full Unix distribution (no "unbundled" software).  Bug response is very
good (couple of day turn around, they answer me via mail).  Overall, more
than I would expect for a $6K Unix box and less than I would expect for a
$12K box.

	For IBM people, there is some kind of PC bus that can be hooked
up to the box.  No processor, just maps the PC cards into 1 Meg of the
68020 address space.  I do not know anyone who has one of these.

	Feel free to call me if you want more info.  Best time is after
17:00 EDT on Mon, Tue, Thu.  Leave a message with my machine and I'll
call you back (evening phone number preferred).  For those who don't read
the Org line:  I am just a customer, I do not work there.

/\/\ \/\/
AT&T: +1 (313) 322-3986
mpuls1!fmsrl7!wayne       	(From the LPC demo machine, not in the maps)
--
Michael R. Wayne  ***  TMC & Associates  ***  INTERNET: wayne@ford-vax.arpa
uucp: {philabs | pyramid} !fmsrl7!wayne   OR   wayne@fmsrl7.UUCP