[comp.unix.questions] Ethernet watcher

gwyn@brl-smoke.UUCP (09/13/87)

In article <1178@mtune.ATT.COM> jhc@mtune.UUCP (Jonathan Clark) writes:
>In article <15136@hi.UUCP> josh@hi.UUCP (Josh Siegel) writes:
>:		it watches TCP/IP connections on the ethernet.
>You mean that Sun doesn't offer end-to-end encryption?

It's not the Sun that has the problem, but the protocols used on the
net (which may have other machine types attached to it).  It does
not seem to generally realized that Internet protocols are subject
to spoofing as well as snooping; Bob Morris provides some interesting
information in Bell Labs CSTR #117.

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (09/14/87)

It's not the protocols (TCP/IP) but the class of hardware protocols
that allow data from one machine to another to be accessible to a
third.  This happens in both CSMA and token ring networks.  Devious
systems can always peek at the data going by.  If one host on the
net (the destination) can decode it, so can another, short of encryption.
The key distribution and access methodology research is still in progress.

-Ron

daveb@geac.UUCP (Brown) (09/20/87)

In article <1903@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
># 	3) eye -
># 		This is the gem of the bunch.  Written for a Sun
># 		computer, it watches TCP/IP connections on the
># 		ethernet.  This lets you see exactly what a user
># 		is doing... both input and output.
># ...
># current version of eye is nothing but a machine cracker.  I don't
># see a reason to pass this around.
># In a few weeks,  I plan on posting a new version of eye that is a
># ethernet debugger.  I never plan on posting my cracking version.
>
>Are you sure that your code will be written so that it takes a true guru to
>readily modify it to add the "cracking" functions?  If not you might want to
>think twice about sending it out, or post a uuencoded binary instead.

  This really raises a question which should be debated in the security
newsgroup... since there isn't one, lets restrict it to sources wanted
initially.
  The question is: if XXX is insecure, should I publish information on
breaking XXX.  My personal opinion is "Only after you publish
information on how to make XXX secure".  Eg, the clist-watcher can be
defeated by setting the perms on /dev/kmem to exclude all but user and
group "root", then writing required applications using /dev/kmem as
setgid root.
  Other opinions, please? (light, not heat, requested).

 --dave
--
 David Collier-Brown.                 {mnetor|yetti|utgpu}!geac!daveb
 Geac Computers International Inc.,   |  Computer Science loses its