[comp.unix.questions] Printing from non-trusted hosts

asp@COS.COM (Andrew S. Partan) (09/15/87)

We have 2 sets of Suns here.  One Sun (cos) has all of the printers
attached to it.  Poeple on several other Suns (called the
'test-machines' in /etc/netgroup) want to be able to send print jobs to
cos's printers.  In cos's /etc/hosts.equiv, the other set of Suns is
explicitly not trusted (I have "-@test-machines" in cos's
/etc/hosts.equiv - the @test-machines reads from the netgroup database
in cos's Yellow Pages; this is equivatent to listing all of the Suns
that I do not want to trust on cos in cos's /etc/hosts.equiv as
'-hostname' (or simply not listing them)).  In the other Suns'
host.equiv files, cos is similarily explicitly not trusted.

The problem is that lpd only allows machines listed in the
/etc/host.equiv file to queue requests.

Is there any way to set things up so that lpd will accept print
requests from any machine, and still have some machines be explicitly
not trusted (so that one has to supply a password when rlogging into
those machines)?

All of our Suns are running SunOS 3.3 (which is based on BSD 4.2).

Thanks for any help that you can give me,
	--asp (Andrew Partan @ Corporation for Open Systems)
	-- asp@cos.com
	-- {uunet, sundc, decuac, hqda-ai, hadron}!cos!asp
--
	--asp (Andrew Partan @ Corporation for Open Systems)
	-- asp@cos.com
	-- {uunet, sundc, decuac, hqda-ai, hadron}!cos!asp

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (09/17/87)

I would be tempted to have the non-trusted machines save data in an NFS
mounted directory, and a daemon print them.

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

asp@COS.COM (Andrew S. Partan) (09/23/87)

In article <437@cos.COM>, asp@COS.COM (Andrew S. Partan) I wrote:
> The problem is that lpd only allows machines listed in the
> /etc/host.equiv file to queue requests.
>
> Is there any way to set things up so that lpd will accept print
> requests from any machine, and still have some machines be explicitly
> not trusted?

With thanks to all of the people that responded, I got lpd to allow
printing from untrusted hosts.

A SUGGESTION: Several people suggested that lpd might use a file called
/etc/hosts.lpd to list the hosts that printing was allowed from.
Unfortunately my lpd (from Sun 3.3) does not have that file.  This
seems to be available in BSD 4.3 (only?).

THE SOLUTION: Several other people suggested editing (with an editor
that can edit binary file (like emacs)) /usr/lib/lpd and replacing
"/etc/hosts.equiv" with some other file name (like
"/etc/hosts.print").

I did this, listed all hosts in /etc/hosts.print, and printing from
non-trusted hosts now works like a charm.

Thanks to all who responded:
	jaap@cwi.nl (Jaap Akkerhuis)
	...!decwrl.dec.com!spar!SENTRY!johnb (J. Bashinski)
	matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford)
	eirik@crl.TEK.COM (Eirik Fuller)
	dave@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (David R. Marquardt)
	npg@sun.com (Neil Groundwater - Sun Consulting)
	kusumoto@ etl.jp (KUSUMOTO Hiroyuki)

Thanks again to the help from people on the net.