[comp.unix.questions] RS232 cables and DSR/RTS/etc

mouse@mcgill-vision.UUCP (09/06/87)

In article <650@ora.UUCP>, tim@ora.UUCP (Tim O'Reilly) writes:
> In article <8998@brl-adm.ARPA>, art@acc.arpa writes:
>> For asynch RS-232 cables,  I recommend the following:
>> 	SD   2 -------------\/----------------- 2   SD
>> 	RD   3 -------------/\----------------- 3   RD
>> 	RTS  4 --+			    +-- 4   RTS
>> 	CTS  5 --+			    +-- 5   CTS
>> 	DSR  6 ------+			+------ 6   DSR
>> 	SG   7 ------|------------------|------ 7   SG
>> 	DCD  8 ------o------\/----------o------ 8   DCD
>> 	DTR 20 -------------/\----------------- 20  DTR

> Note that the cable shown here is a null modem cable for connecting
> two DTE (Data Terminal Equipment) interfaces.  DTE-DCE (i.e. terminal
> to modem) connections would not cross lines 2 and 3, and 8 and 20.

In practice, the distinction between DTE and DCE seems to have all but
disappeared.  The only reliable way I know of to tell which some
equipment behaves as is to hook it up, and if it doesn't work, try
inserting a null modem cable and see if it cures it.  (Of course, for a
permanent connection, make or get a cable wired the right way (that is,
whichever way works)!)

> [However,] I do want to point out one drawback of the cable shown
> here, which has nothing to do with DSR/DCD/DTR:

> A cable with CTS and RTS jumpered together will work fine for normal
> terminal operation (people don't type all that fast)  but if you try
> to upload text from a PC using a cable like this, the receiving
> system will tend to lose characters.  [Further explanation of RTS and
> CTS.]  If there is any chance your cable will have to carry data from
> the terminal to the host at computer speeds rather than at human
> speeds, you should be sure to include RTS and CTS.  [Null-modem
> cables should cross the lines, other cables straight through.]

Or make sure you have either a hardware/firmware silo on the interface
or a machine fast enough to keep up with full-speed input.

One reason RTS/CTS/DCD/DTR/DSR signals are little-understood is, I
expect, because many terminal cables are made with four-conductor wire
just because it is what is on hand.  Such cables must of course use two
conductors for pins 2 and 3 (crossed or not).  This leaves only two
wires, one of which must be taken for some sort of ground (1 or 7 [*]),
leaving just one wire.  But just one wire isn't enough for a signal in
each direction.  Fortunately, such cables tend to be for real
terminals, not computer-to-computer links.  (To be sure, we use them
that way, but we are aware of the potential problems and make sure the
machines can take it....)

[*] I notice the original cable didn't have pin 1, Protective Ground,
connected.  Fie for shame.

					der Mouse

				(mouse@mcgill-vision.uucp)

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP (09/17/87)

It is not generally a good idea to hook up pin-1.  Especially true when
you're running from different power sources.

-Ron

In article <14824@topaz.rutgers.edu> ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
>It is not generally a good idea to hook up pin-1.  Especially true when
>you're running from different power sources.

You could hook up just one end of it.  However, shielding of these
cables is not usually necessary.

brian@casemo.UUCP (Brian Cuthie ) (09/21/87)

In article <14824@topaz.rutgers.edu>, ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
> It is not generally a good idea to hook up pin-1.  Especially true when
> you're running from different power sources.
>
> -Ron

Ron's right.  This has also been changed in EIA 232-D (note it's no longer
RS232).  Pin one should only be connected at one end (I can't remember if it's
DTE or DCE).

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Cuthie
CASE Communcations Inc.
Columbia, MD 21046
(301) 290 - 7443

root@hobbes.UUCP (09/25/87)

+---- Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) writes in <6453@brl-smoke.ARPA> ----
| Ron Natalie writes:
| >It is not generally a good idea to hook up pin-1.  Especially true when
| >you're running from different power sources.
|
| You could hook up just one end of it.  However, shielding of these
| cables is not usually necessary.
+----

Beware of running cables near florescent lights - if you do, you almost are
forced to ground ONE of pin-1's ends.

BTW - I've seen systems working at 9600 baud with ONLY pins 2 and 3 connected!!
Don't ask me how...

--
John Plocher uwvax!geowhiz!uwspan!plocher  plocher%uwspan.UUCP@uwvax.CS.WISC.EDU