[comp.unix.questions] Cross posting to news.misc

jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre) (09/25/87)

In article <4018@well.UUCP> booter@well.UUCP (Elaine Richards) writes:
>First saw the word "foo" in a comic strip called Smokey Stover.

It appears that the arguments against calling the news group for
discussion of the of the usenet software "news" were correct.  It is now
being used as a "misc.misc" group because the name is misleading.

News.misc sounds just like the place to put discussions of topics that
don't fit into other groups very well.  We should have used
"usenet.misc" or such.
				Jerry Aguirre

gam@amdahl.amdahl.com (Gordon A. Moffett) (09/26/87)

In article <5755@oliveb.UUCP> jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre) writes:
>News.misc sounds just like the place to put discussions of topics that
>don't fit into other groups very well.  We should have used
>"usenet.misc" or such.

So let's change it.  If we can get enough sites to agree to this then
we can replace the ambiguous 'news.misc' with a more meaningful name.
Perhaps all 'news.*' newsgroups should be renamed.

[ Followups to this go to news.group ]
--
Gordon A. Moffett                             gam@amdahl.amdahl.com