[comp.unix.questions] Access to database on IBM/MVS from UNIX ?

storm@ambush.UUCP (08/27/87)

Background
----------

One of our customers are planning to build a large database on an
IBM/MVS system (this is where the disk space is), but they wish to
use a UNIX system as a front-end to the system, i.e. extract a
subset of the database (an address list, say) and process it on
the UNIX system (that is where the tools are).

Questions
---------

Are there any database systems that support this setup ?  I know that
ORACLE runs on both MVS and on UNIX, but can they communicate on a
higher level (i.e. share data) ?

Which UNIX systems can talk to an IBM mainframe (besides providing
'dumb' 3270 emulation on a UNIX terminal) ?  Is there any other
way to do it (i.e. let a UNIX program emulate a 3270 terminal when
talking to the IBM system) ?

Since I don't know much about the IBM mainframe world, please provide
any information on this subject - big or small.  If you don't think
it is possible to use a UNIX box as front-end to an IBM database,
please tell me why.

TiA
--
Kim F. Storm, storm@ambush.uucp (or ..!mcvax!diku!ambush!storm)
AmbraSoft A/S, Rojelskaer 15, DK-2840 Holte, Denmark.  tel: +45 2424 111

bradbury@oracle.UUCP (Robert Bradbury) (09/03/87)

In article <463@ambush.UUCP>, storm@ambush.UUCP (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> Questions
> ---------
>
> Are there any database systems that support this setup ?  I know that
> ORACLE runs on both MVS and on UNIX, but can they communicate on a
> higher level (i.e. share data) ?

The problem is that there are no "good" ways to connect IBM O.S.
to the outside world.  IBM is working on TCP/IP for VM and MVS but
the availability is 6 months to a year (I think).  IBM wants everyone
to talk SNA and the hardware/software from outside vendors isn't there
yet.  (DEC is getting fairly close according to Computerworld).

Oracle can run networked databases between UNIX boxes and UTS
(currently in Alpha using TCP/IP).  We should have MSDOS to
VM/MVS running this fall (using a 3270 interface I think).
I doubt there will be anything for UNIX to VM/MVS in the near future
(there isn't much market demand for it yet).

> Which UNIX systems can talk to an IBM mainframe (besides providing
> 'dumb' 3270 emulation on a UNIX terminal) ?  Is there any other
> way to do it (i.e. let a UNIX program emulate a 3270 terminal when
> talking to the IBM system) ?

Gregory Minshal wrote a program called tn3270 which provides a TELNET
interface between IBM machines and UNIX machines.  It is found in
the user contributed software on our Pyramid and has a University
of California copyright.  It handles the mapping between the 3270 and
dumb terminals quite well.  It is heavily dependant on the BSD TELNET
interface.  (If anyone has adopted this to run on an EXCELAN telnet
interface (on VMS) I'd like to hear about it.)

--
Robert Bradbury
Oracle Corporation

dennisg@pwcs.StPaul.GOV (Dennis Grittner) (09/04/87)

In article <321@oracle.UUCP> bradbury@oracle.UUCP (Robert Bradbury) writes:
>In article <463@ambush.UUCP>, storm@ambush.UUCP (Kim F. Storm) writes:

Sorry to post this - but my Mail to ambush was returned 'host
unknown' so I thought I'd post.

Some people at Johns Hopkins ( I think ) wrote some RPC stuff for
an IBM mainframe so that a Pyramid running Ingres was serving
database info to the mainframe host. Wish I could be more
specific, but I think all the origional folk that did it are now
gone to other places and projects. Anyway, you might check with
Johns Hopkins.

--
Dennis Grittner		City of Saint Paul, Minnesota
(612) 298-4402		Room 700, 25 W. 4th St. 55102

larry@postgres.uucp (Larry Rowe) (09/04/87)

tcp/ip implementations are actually being done by a group out
of univ. of wisc. (larry landwebber is contact).  they have
implemented and delivered a VM implementation that can be
purchased from ibm.  i believe they are working on a MVS
version, but i don't know the details.  you might try sending
email to larry at landwebber@uwisc.edu (or some such addr).

as mentioned by bradbury, tcp/ip is not something that ibm
wants to support so they don't really communicate it to
their sales force.  the odds are you're going to have to
find someone else running it and get the details from them.

btw, if anyone else has more details, i suspect several other
readers on this newsgroup would be interested (including me!).
	larry

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (09/05/87)

First, I should point out that I hold Oracle and the Three Initial Corporation
(RSI?) behind it in pretty low esteem.  They're customer support is about the
worse I've seen, which is compounded by the preponderance of bugs in their
software.

As for getting information between mainframe and UNIX machine there are
essentially two ways.  One, is that you can get TCP/IP for your IBM
and write network utilities based on TCP.  The second is to use an
IBM based network product that talks IBM-ese to the IBM.  An example
of this is the SunLink products soon to be unleased on the public.

-Ron

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (09/05/87)

> IBM is working on TCP/IP for VM and MVS but the availability
> is 6 months to a year (I think).

TCP/IP Networking code has been available for VM and MVS for a while now.
You can even get it direct from IBM now.

> IBM wants everyone to talk SNA and the hardware/software from outside
> vendors isn't there yet.

Not quite true.  While this was the strategy in the past, IBM recently
realized they were losing out big in the research/academic environment.
I've seen lots of indications that the are on to TCP in a big way.  Part
of this is being helped by joint projects with a number of Universities
around the country.  These TCP/IPers in IBM are actually making some
decent headway now.

> IBM wants everyone to talk SNA and the hardware/software from outside
> vendors isn't there yet.  (DEC is getting fairly close according to
> Computerworld).

Of course, this involves the least amount of work for them.  But,
how many non-DEC things talk DECNET?  Sun has recently announced
a whole line of SunLink products for both DECNET and IBM.

> Oracle can run networked databases between UNIX boxes and UTS.

For those who don't know UTS is Amdahl's UNIX under VM.  This is
not much of a solution to the problem for IBM users.  This really
just converts your IBM hardware.  Since it is ASCII it needs special
hardware to directly connect terminal lines (fortunately they are
working on TCP so you can telnet in).

davy@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Dave Curry) (09/05/87)

In article <3589@zen.berkeley.edu> larry@postgres.UUCP (Larry Rowe) writes:

>as mentioned by bradbury, tcp/ip is not something that ibm
>wants to support so they don't really communicate it to
>their sales force.  the odds are you're going to have to
>find someone else running it and get the details from them.

IBM most certainly does have TCP/IP... at least for VM/CMS.  In fact,
they just announced a new version of it a month or two ago.  It uses a
DACU (Device Attachment Control Unit - a "7170", I think).  It seems
to understand subnets and the whole deal; Purdue has it running on
their 3083 and one of their 4341s.  I use "tn3270" to go from my Sun,
through about three gateways, and onto the 3083 regularly with no
problems.  If you're truly desperate, I could dig up the product
numbers and things for you, send me mail.

FTP seems to work quite well.  TELNET is there, but you have to run in
ECMODE (full-duplex instead of half-duplex).  TELNET'ing to a UNIX
system using a 3270 block-mode terminal is "interesting", to say the
least.  It's usally easier to log in on UNIX and use "tn3270" (makes
a serial terminal look like a 3278).

--Dave

mjr@well.UUCP (Matthew Rapaport) (09/05/87)

Sorry I can't give you any details (I don't remember it all), but
there were articles in various Unix publications over the last
year or so regarding UNIX/SNA drivers running on Unix hosts.
This might give you the
data extraction capabilities you require...  If I find the
specific references over the next day or so, I will post them
mjr@well
ptsfa!well!mjr

mjr@well.UUCP (Matthew Rapaport) (09/06/87)

A very brief and cursory search in Knowledge Index's COMP4 database
turned up the following three references on linking UNIX to IBM's
VM and MVS under SNA.  I do not know if any of the technologies
described here are actually implemented in off the shelf products,
but the articles themselves probably contain other references.  If
you need to find products, consultants, etc., I do this for a living
(at least in part) so send me mail -- 'ptsfa!mjr!well' or 'mjr@well'
if you know a good domain server!

1156562   DCM85H0111
   Bringing Unix Machines within an IBM Network.
   Mendelsohn, M.P.
   AT&T Information Systems , Lincroft, NJ
   Data Communications  Vol.14, No.9, Aug. 1985, P. 111-115. 5 Pages.
   COUNTRY OF PUBLICATION: U.S.A.   LANGUAGE: English
   CODEN: DACODM   ISSN: 0363-6399
   DOCUMENT TYPE: Journal   ARTICLE TYPE: Technology; How-To
   SPECIAL FEATURES:   includes Chart
   UNIX-based   machines   can  be  linked  to  both  BSC  (binary  synchronous
communications)   and  SNA  (system  network  architecture)  protocols  without
altering   the  five  UNIX  system  calls.  Transmission  between  asynchronous
terminals  occurs  one character at a time, contrasted to half-duplex protocols
which are batch oriented and pass files in logical groups in one direction at a
time.  Both  devices  can  request permission to transmit at the same time; one
device  designated  as  winner, one as loser, with the winner then going into a
receive  mode.  Half-duplex  protocols  should have point-to-point arrangements
which are either leased or switched with that information then passed on to the
device  driver.  A  2780/3780  terminal can function as three devices: the card
reader  is used as the transmission device, the line printer and card punch are
used as the two output devices. The biggest problem in implementing half-duplex
contention protocols in the UNIX system is passing enough information to manage
communication  links between the user and the device driver. The solution is in
four  areas:  building  a  structure  to  hold information that must be present
before  communications can begin; using an IOCTL system call to pass and obtain
information  not  available  on  any  other  system call; having an information
header  precede  all  data passed between user and device driver; and expanding
the  set  of  return  values  for  all system calls indicating to the user what
action  must  be  provided.  Charts  listing sequences between devices for both
protocols are included.
   OPERATING SYSTEM: UNIX
   DESCRIPTORS:  UNIX;  Operating  Systems; Communications Modes; Asynchronous;
Half  Duplex;  Receive-Only;  Send/Receive; Protocol; Networks; SNA; Interface;
How-to Information
 3/L/2
1144764   UNW84L0090
   Pseudo-Device Provides SNA Communications for the Unix System.
   Heath, R.A.
   NCR Corp. ,
   UNIX World  Vol.1, No.7, Dec. 1984, P. 90-93. 3 Pages.
   COUNTRY OF PUBLICATION: U.S.A.   LANGUAGE: English
   ISSN: 0739-5922
   DOCUMENT TYPE: Journal   ARTICLE TYPE: Technology
   SPECIAL FEATURES:   includes Diagrams
   IBM's  Systems  Network  Architecture  (SNA)  is not a component of the Unix
operating system. The integration of both systems requires application software
and  kernel  pseudo-devices.  A  diagram compares the interdependent SNA layers
with  the  layers  of Unix. Five layers of SNA must be distributed within three
layers  of  Unix.  Layers  must  be  able to communicate without using pipes. A
diagram  shows  how  a  pseudo-device  bridges the SNA layers within Unix. Data
flows  in  and  out of a kernel when it crosses the SNA layers. A diagram shows
how  batch and interactive traffic can be combined over a single communications
line.  Such  a  technique  greatly  reduces  line  costs.  A SDLC device driver
controls  the  SDLC functions for SNA. Other standard protocols can be combined
in a similiar way.
   OPERATING SYSTEM: UNIX
   DESCRIPTORS:   SNA;   Protocol;   Networks;   Data   Communications;   UNIX;
Micro-Mainframe Communication; Network Architecture; Technology
 3/L/3
1124247   MIC85A0038
   SNA to UNIX; UNIX to SNA.
   Wise, T.; Forgetta, V.
   Pathway Design , Wellesley, MA
   Micro Communications  Vol.2, No.1, Jan. 1985, P. 38-42. 3 Pages.
   COUNTRY OF PUBLICATION: U.S.A.   LANGUAGE: English
   DOCUMENT TYPE: Journal   ARTICLE TYPE: Technology
   SPECIAL FEATURES:   includes Diagrammatic Models
   UNIX needs a connection to the IBM mainframe environment in order to achieve
a  long  term  presence. In order to ensure a consistency of operation and data
sharing  and integrity, UNIX-based systems must be able to communicate with IBM
hosts.  Pathway  Design  examined  four  approaches  in designing a UNIX-to-SNA
connection.  The approaches differ due to the organization of the SNA layers as
they  are  incorporated  into the UNIX architecture. Diagrammatic models of the
SNA  models, application implementation approaches, and future alternatives are
included.  Layers  are  grouped  into  three categories: the device driver, the
deamon  and  the  user layer. Approach one includes only the comms layer in the
device  driver.  Approach  two includes the comms and SDLC layers in the device
driver.  Approach  three  includes  the  PC,SDLC and comms layers in the device
driver.  Approach  four  places  all SNA and SDLC layers within the kernel. The
optimal approach for designing a UNIX gateway is difficult to select.
   OPERATING SYSTEM: UNIX
   PRODUCT NAME: uniPath ,    ,  Pathway Design ,  Network Control Processors
   DESCRIPTORS:   Micro-Mainframe   Communication;   Multiuser  Microcomputers;
Distributed  Systems; Kernels; UNIX; Network Architecture; SNA; SDLC; Protocol;
Networks; Presentation Layer Control

whwb@cgcha.UUCP (09/07/87)

> Questions
> ---------
>
> Are there any database systems that support this setup ?  I know that
> ORACLE runs on both MVS and on UNIX, but can they communicate on a
> higher level (i.e. share data) ?
>
> Which UNIX systems can talk to an IBM mainframe (besides providing
> 'dumb' 3270 emulation on a UNIX terminal) ?  Is there any other
> way to do it (i.e. let a UNIX program emulate a 3270 terminal when
> talking to the IBM system) ?

As far as I know there is only one product around which give you the
connection at this time. It is the backend-database system TERADATA,
which is channel-attach to the IBM and has a TCP/IP connection out of
their own machinery to UNIX. Since you have to buy soft- and hardware
for this connection, you must spend at least spend 300.000 $ for it.
The address of TERADATA is  12945 Jefferson Boul.,LA, CA 90066, (213)
827-8777 and 138b High Street, Esher, Surrey KT10 9QI, ENGLAND (372)
68933.

The other manufacturers still have problems to support a common set
of protocols to connect the two machines in the necessary functionality.
But I suppose that in a year ....

H.W.Barz, WRZ, CIBA-GEIGY, CH-4001 Basel

tmp@j.cc.purdue.edu (Tom Putnam) (09/08/87)

In article <3589@zen.berkeley.edu> larry@postgres.UUCP (Larry Rowe) writes:
>tcp/ip implementations are actually being done by a group out
>of univ. of wisc. (larry landwebber is contact).  they have
>implemented and delivered a VM implementation that can be
>purchased from ibm.

Your information is a year or more out of date.  Landwebber et.al. were
responsible for the initial project, but they have not been active with
this stuff for quite a while.  Check IBM Programming Announcement dated
April 21, 1987 for the announcement of the TCP/IP for VM.  The new
product is based upon the old WISCNET stuff but looks very much more up
to date.  We are running the old WISCNET, but we just received the new
TCP/IP from IBM last week.

The IBM stuff now includes FTP, SMTP (mail), TELNET, interfaces to TCP
and UDP for C and PASCAL, Internet subnet routing, domain name servers
and resolver, and more.  The product set also includes a corresponding
IBM PC software set (based upon the MIT PC/IP stuff).  The announcement
also includes a new DACU (Device Attached Channel Unit) which is now a
fully supported product.

Now if we could get Oracle or others to build a TCP/IP client/server set
using SQL queries, we might be able to answer the initial question...

--
Tom Putnam                              Assistant Director
ARPANET: tmp@j.cc.Purdue.EDU            Purdue University Computing Center

purdom@rabbit1.UUCP (Chris Purdom) (09/09/87)

In article <463@ambush.UUCP>, storm@ambush.UUCP (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> Which UNIX systems can talk to an IBM mainframe (besides providing
> 'dumb' 3270 emulation on a UNIX terminal) ?  Is there any other
> way to do it (i.e. let a UNIX program emulate a 3270 terminal when
> talking to the IBM system) ?

Rabbit Software sells C source-code for 3270 SNA systems including Programmer
Interface Modules.

Executable versions are also available for a number of different Unix versions.

--

Chris Purdom                                                Frith-Inle
Rabbit Software Corporation

bradbury@oracle.UUCP (Robert Bradbury) (09/10/87)

In article <14459@topaz.rutgers.edu>, ron@topaz.rutgers.edu
 (Ron Natalie) writes:
> First, I should point out that I hold Oracle and the Three Initial Corporation
> (RSI?) behind it in pretty low esteem.  They're customer support is about the
> worse I've seen, which is compounded by the preponderance of bugs in their
> software.

Relational Software Incorporated (RSI) changed its name to Oracle Corporation
about 4 years ago.  (The other 3 initial corporations are/were Relational
Technology Inc (RTI)/Ingres and Informix (RDS))

I would be interested in knowing whose customer support Ron is comparing
us with.  In the process of porting Oracle to a wide variety of machines
I've dealt with customer support at Pyramid, AT&T, HP, Apollo and Amdahl.
I would put HP at the top of the list and AT&T at the bottom.

I base my impressions on two things: a) How responsive (caring) the
support is and b) how good the answers/solutions are I get from them.
HP rates high on both counts.  AT&T used to have good support (for 3B20s)
but in their efforts to be everything to everybody support seems to
have suffered.  I would say that Oracle is good on (a) and has some
work to do on (b).

Much of the problem at Oracle is that much of the support organization
is very new.  It is impossible to double the size of a company
(and therefore the # of customers and # of customer support people)
each year and expect the people at the interface points to be able
to know all the answers.  At best they can only be eager-to-please
go-fors who try to get back to you with an answer until they have
served as a pipe for enough information to know many of the answers.
Even this may be insufficient as changes in the existing products and
new products make keeping up with the flow of information a full time job.

We have been through several cycles of centralized/decentralized support
trying to find the best combination of keeping support people in
the field (close to the customers) or at corporate headquarters
(close to the answers).  Ultimately the best support (for technical
questions) is gotten when the person answering the phone is
the developer (or sits next to him).  Unfortunately if developers
spend all day on the phone (or answering questions for support
people) they don't get any development done.  Where would we be
today if Ken or Dennis or Bill had to support a customer base
of several thousand people instead of just throwing the tapes over
the fence?

As far as bugs go, yes we have them.  I think the bug database is
assigning numbers in the 8000 range currently.  Considering that
is over a 5 year period involving several megabytes of code
on 6+ major operating systems on dozens of different machines
we are probably doing fairly well.  I think bug database at
Pyramid is in the thousands and the numbers they assign at AT&T
range between 300,000 and 400,000 (I don't know when and how they
started counting).

I would be interested in hearing of other support experiences
(good and bad) and especially how people think support should
work given the problems of a fast development pace; a huge amount
of information to be juggled (Oracle documentation occupies
as much shelf space as a full set of UNIX documentation);
and limited resources.

--
Robert Bradbury
Oracle Corporation
(206) 364-1442                            hplabs!oracle!bradbury

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (09/10/87)

I'll admit that it has been probably close to four or five years since
I've had to work with Oracle.  We had over 120 reported bugs and some
were quite serious.  Customer support was, as I said, underwhelming.
I've seen companies turn around (notably places like Wollengong) in
short periods of time than that, so I hope that the new "Oracle" company
is much better.

-Ron

bww@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Bradley White) (09/11/87)

In article <5242@j.cc.purdue.edu>, tmp@j.cc.purdue.edu (Tom Putnam) writes:
> Now if we could get Oracle or others to build a TCP/IP client/server set
> using SQL queries, we might be able to answer the initial question...

The Scylla database project at CMU is working on just such an approach.
So far we have taken Informix-SQL and split it into a client/server pair
communicating via a UDP/IP remote procedure call mechanism.  [Aside: For
those familiar with the structure of Informix-SQL the current split is
at the obvious place, but we plan to experiment with making the split at
different levels.]  The system is currently used to present uniform access
to databases from the hundreds of workstations (Suns, Vaxen, and IBM-RT's)
on the CMU campus.  This work will be described in a forthcoming technical
report.

We also have the remote procedure call mechanism up and running on the IBM,
so an obvious direction - and one we are currently planning to take - is
to set up an SQL/DS server so that a UNIX workstation user can access the
IBM databases just as if they were local Informix-SQL databases.

--
Bradley White <bww@cs.cmu.edu>         +1-412-268-3060
CMU Computer Science Department  40 26'33"N 79 56'48"W

bradbury@oracle.UUCP (Robert Bradbury) (09/12/87)

In article <14620@topaz.rutgers.edu>, ron@topaz.rutgers.edu
 (Ron Natalie) writes:
> I'll admit that it has been probably close to four or five years since
> I've had to work with Oracle.  We had over 120 reported bugs and some
> were quite serious.  Customer support was, as I said, underwhelming.
> I've seen companies turn around (notably places like Wollengong) in
> short periods of time than that, so I hope that the new "Oracle" company
> is much better.

As always the "context" in which a statement is made is important.
In 1982 Ron was probably dealing with the first release of Oracle
for the VAX (or worse yet one of the early UNIX releases).  The
entire package had just been converted from PDP-11 assembler to C
by some people who had never programmed in C before.  Needless
to say this resulted in more than a few problems.  At that time
the company was probably only about 30-40 people and finding one who
could do customer support was hard.  I would say at the current
time there are between 50 and 100 people in the support organization
alone.
--
Robert Bradbury
Oracle Corporation
(206) 364-1442                            hplabs!oracle!bradbury

DBLCU@CUNYVM.BITNET (09/28/87)

I do not know if this answer will solve your problem about sharing
data using a database system but...
At this installation we have a Unix system (att sys v rel 2 compatible)
which runs on IBM or Amdahl Mainframe hardware. Amdahl calls it UTS
and it may solve your problem. UTS supports 327x terminals and in fact
has a program which is similar to DMS on vm/cms that will allow a user
to create full screen templates for data acquisition. We have been
using this product for over a year now and it seems pretty good. It is
a REAL unix system (not like ibm's 370/ix product which pretends its
unix by utilizing xedit macros and such). You might try calling up
Amdahl to see if they have what you need. I don't have a number that
you can call up (sorry about that).

disclaimer: non of the above statements are the opinion of my employer

dave
bitnet address : dblcu@cunyvm.bitnet

rjh@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Herber) (09/30/87)

In article <733DBLCU@CUNYVM>, DBLCU@CUNYVM.BITNET writes:
> At this installation we have a Unix system (att sys v rel 2 compatible)
> which runs on IBM or Amdahl Mainframe hardware. Amdahl calls it UTS... .
> We have been using this product for over a year now and it seems pretty good.
> .... You might try calling up Amdahl to see if they have what you need.
> I don't have a number that you can call up (sorry about that).
> disclaimer: non of the above statements are the opinion of my employer
> dave
> bitnet address : dblcu@cunyvm.bitnet

Try 1-800-538-8460, ask for Al Greene at extension 7536.

	Randolph J. Herber,
	Amdahl Sr Sys Eng,
	..!ihnp4!ihlpa!rjh,
	(312) 979-6553,