[comp.unix.questions] 4.3BSD partition sizes for RA82 ?

thorinn@diku.UUCP (Lars Henrik Mathiesen) (09/28/87)

  When I came in this morning the door was almost blocked by a huge cabinet
saying "SA482" in tasteful letters - and now it seems that I'm expected to
make a 4.3BSD system do something reasonable with it. It seems to contain
four drives of a type that may later be sold separately as RA82, for a total
of 2.5 Gigabytes.
  I hope that we can get Field Service to install them as four separate drives
on two UDA50's, so I only have to invent a partition table for it. Hopefully
I'll be able to get a sector count from DEC, but it would be nice to start
out with a somewhat standard partition set -- I want to be able to boot the
4.4BSD tape without all the fuss :-)
--
Lars Mathiesen, DIKU, U of Copenhagen, Denmark		..mcvax!diku!thorinn
Institute of Datalogy -- we're scientists, not engineers.

chris@mimsy.UUCP (10/01/87)

In article <3435@diku.UUCP> thorinn@diku.UUCP (Lars Henrik Mathiesen) writes:
> When I came in this morning the door was almost blocked by a huge cabinet
>saying "SA482" in tasteful letters - and now it seems that I'm expected to
>make a 4.3BSD system do something reasonable with it. It seems to contain
>four drives of a type that may later be sold separately as RA82 ....
>Hopefully I'll be able to get a sector count from DEC, but it would be
>nice to start out with a somewhat standard partition set -- I want to be
>able to boot the 4.4BSD tape without all the fuss :-)

1) No problem: use my driver; it prints out the size of each disk in
   sectors.  Or use adb to print ra_info[unit].radsize:
	ra_info+(0t16*(unit))+4/D

2) We never use Berkeley's standard partitions anyway.

3) No problem.  4.4 (or 9BSD or whatever) will (i.e., does now) have
   disk labels.  (Well, there *are* a *few* little problems still,
   like the lack of a standalone labelling program....)