[net.cooks] MOLD ON CHEESE

estes@ttrda.UUCP (Edward Estes ) (07/02/85)

In reference to the question of scraping mold from cheese,
"Completely Cheese", Warner Books says:

    Until recently it was thought that if mold was found on the surface
    of a piece of cheese, it was perfectly safe to scrape off the
    mold and then use the cheese as originally planned.  According to
    the FDA, however, scientific evidence indicates that this may not
    be a wise practice.

    As molds grow, they *sometimes* produce substances called
    *mycotoxins*, and the consumer has no way of knowing whether the
    mold growing on a particular cheese produces them.  Some mycotoxins
    have been shown to produce cancer in animals, and their effect on
    humans in not yet known; to be absolutely safe it would be best
    to avoid cheese molds completely.

    . . . [T]he mold itself can be a source of trouble.  Some individuals
    have allergic reactions to molds . . .  Certain mold species can
    cause serious and possibly fatal human and animal infections in
    such body areas as the sinuses, eyes, ears, and repiratory tract.

    . . . [P]ackages of cheese should be inspected in the store before
    purchasing.  If packages are moldy, they should not be purchased
    and should be pointed out to the store manager, who in turn should
    remove them from display and discard them.  To be certain of no
    danger, the same should be done for cheese in the home:
    *moldy cheese should be discarded*.  Note that simply cutting
    away the mold does *not* remove any possible problems, because
    fungi have roots, and these roots may extend deep into the cheese.

They go on to say that blue-veined cheeses, such as Roquefort, are fine,
and should not be avoided.

As an aside the book is great.  It has just about everything you would
want to know about cheeses, from manufacture of cheese to cheese recipes.

	"Completely Cheese, the Cheeselover's Companion"
	Anita May Pearl, Warner Books, 1978

Ted Estes
AT&T Teletype Corp.
...!ihnp4!ttrdc!ttrda!estes

holly@hpfcly.UUCP (holly) (07/17/85)

From all information I have read, do not eat cheese with mold on it.  Research
shows that it is not the visible mold that we need fear, but the spores that
are the unseen villians.  Mold has spores (like roots on a plant).  Even though
you may cut the mold off the cheese the spores remain thus presenting the
problem.  Cancer research, at this point in time, is theorizing that this may
contribute to the development of cancer.  Besides, eating something with mold
on it (even though it has been cut away) sounds a bit revolting.

hoppen@uiucdcs.Uiuc.ARPA (07/23/85)

The spores ARE the visible part (along with the support structures bearing
them).  Normally most people won't notice mold until it is bearing the
fruiting bodies (spores).  What can remain behind when you cut off the
colored part is mycelia, which are masses of hyphae.  Mycelia can be
compared to a plant's body and root system.  If conditions are right, the
mycelia can easily produce more spores and your mold will "reappear" when it,
in fact, never left.

It is true that some molds are toxic.  Many also aren't.  Unless you are an
expert on them, however, they are probably best left alone.

dkatz@zaphod.UUCP (Dave Katz) (07/23/85)

In article <5400007@hpfcly.UUCP> holly@hpfcly.UUCP (holly) writes:
>...Cancer research, at this point in time, is theorizing that this may
>contribute to the development of cancer.  Besides, eating something with mold
>on it (even though it has been cut away) sounds a bit revolting.

I gave up worrying about THINGS THAT MIGHT CAUSE CANCER when I heard, in
a detailed news report, that fried hamburger might.  Now, it seems to me
that some things really do have a strong link, like large amounts of
asbestos fibre floating in the air, but most everything else rates as so
insignificant as to only provide funding for cancer research.
Now I enjoy cheese and hamburger and sunshine and all of those other
things that caused human life as we know it to disappear, due to cancer,
48,000,000 years ago.

As for eating things with mold, I always take heart in the words of a
buddy of mine who, when he disovered some old food that didn't have mold
on it, in his fridge, said: "What do those little beasties know that I
don't."   He refused to ever buy that particular food again.

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (07/26/85)

In article <312@zaphod.UUCP> dkatz@zaphod.UUCP (Dave Katz) writes:
>I gave up worrying about THINGS THAT MIGHT CAUSE CANCER when I heard, in
>a detailed news report, that fried hamburger might.

   I read in Omni magazine that a researcher right here at the U of Wisconsin
found that fried hamburger may actually help *prevent* cancer.  I thought
I'd pass this tidbit along even though I take anything I read in Omni with
an extremely large grain of salt (or was that MSG...).

--
 - joel "vo" plutchak
{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster

"Take what I say in a different way and it's easy to say that this is
all confusion."

linda@amdcad.UUCP (Linda Seltzer) (08/16/85)

> >I gave up worrying about THINGS THAT MIGHT CAUSE CANCER when I heard, in
> >a detailed news report, that fried hamburger might.
>
>    I read in Omni magazine that a researcher right here at the U of Wisconsin
> found that fried hamburger may actually help *prevent* cancer.  I thought
> I'd pass this tidbit along even though I take anything I read in Omni with
> an extremely large grain of salt (or was that MSG...).

I think that the studies of carcinogens in fried meat may have been done
by Professor Bruce Ames at UC Berkeley.  I think it was the burning and
browning which was harmful - rare meat was more safe.  There are plenty
of plenty of papers by Ames and at least one summary in Science, if
anyone wants to do a literature search.