[comp.unix.questions] ARC for UNIX

koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Steven Grimm) (10/02/87)

Does anyone know if the ARC utility available on various PCs has been ported to
UNIX?  If not, has someone ported "compress" to a micro?  I need to send high
volumes of data between PCs and UNIX; it would be nice to be able to compress
it first.

+New! Improved! Now 100% Artificial-+-+-----------------------------------+
|#   #  @@@  ****  &&&&& $$$$$ %   %| |Steven Grimm                       |
|#  #  @   @ *   * &       $   %   %+-+ ARPA: koreth@ucscb.ucsc.edu       |
|###   @   @ ****  &&&&    $   %%%%%| | UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ssyx!koreth|
|#  #  @   @ * *   &       $   %   %+-+     ______________________________|
|#   #  @@@  *  ** &&&&&   $   %   %| |     |"Let's see what's out there."|
+-----with NutraSour(TM)!  No natural colors or preservatives!------------+

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (10/12/87)

In article <929@saturn.ucsc.edu> koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Steven Grimm) writes:
|Does anyone know if the ARC utility available on various PCs has been ported to
|UNIX?  If not, has someone ported "compress" to a micro?  I need to send high
|volumes of data between PCs and UNIX; it would be nice to be able to compress
|it first.

I would highly recommend using the zoo package, which runs on UNIX and
MSDOS (and VMS in Beta). It faster than ARC, slightly better
compression, and comes with 'fiz,' a program to allow extraction of good
parts from mungled archives. It was posted several months ago.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

Theodore_Ted_Manos@cup.portal.com (10/17/87)

In article <929@saturn.ucsc.edu> koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Steven Grimm) writes:
>Does anyone know if the ARC utility available on various PCs has been ported t
>UNIX?  If not, has someone ported "compress" to a micro?  I need to send high
>volumes of data between PCs and UNIX; it would be nice to be able to compress
>it first.

Yes, it has been.  It is currently running around a few bulliten boards under
the name ARCUNX11.ARC.  If you can't find it, or don't have the facility to
unARC it, let me know and I'll be happy to get a copy to you (via one of the
nets, a board, or direct connect).  The ARC methodology is becoming very wide-
spread in it's use, and there are now versions available even for IBM PC arch-
enemy Macintosh!  In practice, I have found it to more than rival other methods
such as ZOO, which is just now starting to appear in the PC world, in terms of
speed, compression, and ease of use.  There are now a good number of utilities
available that work with ARCed files, and menu systems to make it's use even
simpler and more convenient.

There is one caveat about ARCed files however that you may not be aware of.
Phil Katz developed a program some months ago that is a superset of the
standard ARC developed by S.E.A..  It is called PKARC, and is quite excellent -
much faster than ARC, and many additional features.  However, in his newer
versions, he introduced a newer compression methodology known as Squashing.
While it is very good, and can produce even greater space savings, it is NOT
compatible with the standard ARC program at this time.  Hopefully S.E.A. will
include it in their future releases (Vern Buerg's ARCA/ARCE now support it).
Phil did however include an option switch to disable the use of Squashing, so
so that full compatibility can be maintained.

-> Ted Manos                              tmanos@cup.portal.com
   Alpha Omega Consulting Group, LTD      ucbvax!sun!cup!portal!tmanos
   400 Springhill Drive                   CIS     - 71250,2761
   Roselle, IL  60172                     Source  - est321
   USA                                    Genie   - tmanos
   Office: 1 (312) 980-7919               Portal  - tmanos
   Mobile: 1 (312) 590-0298               -- and others --

************************** NON-DISCALIMER ************************************
*   My company agrees with my views completely - I hold all of the stock!    *
o its UOFT02
   VAX/VMS system:

        (419) 537-4411
        Service class  VX785A
        User: KERMIT
        Password: KERMIT

        Source and hex files are in KER:, binaries are in KERBIN:

3. Oklahoma State University:

UUCP and Kermit access to the complete Kermit distribution is available from
the Department of Computing and Information Sciences, Oklahoma State
University, Stillwater, Oklahoma.  The procedures are somewhat complicated,
and are described in a separate file, AANOKS.DOC.

[End of AANETW.HLP]
.  The resonating