[comp.unix.questions] Mixed case mail addresses

phyllis@bcsaic.UUCP (Phyllis Melvin) (10/15/87)

We're using Ultrix and because we're on CSNET/ARPANET I want to accept
mail directed to us without regard to the case of the userid part
of the address.  E.g., mail for <Joe@boeing.com> or <jOe@boeing.com>
would be sent to <joe@boeing.com>.

I have ideas about how to do this with sendmail.cf but they seem
very clumsy.  And, of course, there's the aliases file but that's
not really practical for handling all possible mixtures of cases.

Can anyone suggest an easy way to handle this problem on Unix?

--
Phyllis Melvin		uucp:      uw-beaver!uw-june!bcsaic!phyllis
(206)865-3293           internet:  phyllis@boeing.com

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (10/19/87)

Phyllis at Boeing in Seattle writes:
> We're using Ultrix and because we're on CSNET/ARPANET I want to accept
> mail directed to us without regard to the case of the userid part
> of the address.  E.g., mail for <Joe@boeing.com> or <jOe@boeing.com>
> would be sent to <joe@boeing.com>.

It seems to me that sendmail doesn't care about cases.  And I cannot
find a local mailer flag that addresses the problem.  (And *my* ULTRIX
machine doesn't care about case.)
So, I make 2
suggestions...

1. In sendmail.cf have you Mlocal mailer definition look something
like this (with regard to the flags, in particular):

Mprog,  P=/bin/sh,   F=lsDFMe,   S=10, R=20, A=sh -c $u

2. Check to see if you have local names defined in the sendmail.cf
(yucky, but possible).  It would be a class edfined which points to
/etc/passwd and has some scanf-style format field.  If it is there, my
guess is that it contains lower case letters but no upper case.  Add
them.

If you change sendmail.cf you should rebuild the frozen config file by
the command "/usr/lib/sendmail -bz" and then -- I think -- kill the
sendmail daemon running and restart.

No way should you need to do funny things with /usr/lib/aliases, etc.

Fred