[comp.unix.questions] Transitivity of .rhosts

wagner@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Juergen Wagner) (10/25/87)

If a user has accounts one more than one machine he/she can create
~/.rhosts, specifying from which other users from which other hosts may
login to this machine without having to specify passwords (trusted
users). My question is: What is the opinion about the transitivity of
this procedure, i.e. if A trusts B and B trusts C UNIX also believes
that A trusts C. In other words, has anybody tried to extend the kind
of restrictions put on this remote execution? Are there other operating
systems allowing such a more complex access restriction schemata?

Juergen Wagner,			(USENET) gandalf@portia.stanford.edu
Center for the Study of Language and Information (CSLI), Stanford CA

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (10/26/87)

In article <697@rocky.STANFORD.EDU> wagner@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Juergen
Wagner) writes:
>If a user has accounts one more than one machine he/she can create
>~/.rhosts, specifying from which other users from which other hosts may
>login to this machine without having to specify passwords (trusted
>users). My question is: What is the opinion about the transitivity of
>this procedure, i.e. if A trusts B and B trusts C UNIX also believes
>that A trusts C.

That follows from the fact that if C can reach B, some user on C
can log in on B without entering a password; then that user on B
can log in on A without entering a password.  But since the trusted-
host mechanism is driven entirely by the receiver, there is no way
for C to contact A and say `B trusts me, and you trust B, so you
ought to trust me too'.

In any case, all network security systems that rely upon trust are
insecure unless the entire network is physically secure, something
that seems quite rare.  A good public-domain authentication system
would work wonders here....