[comp.unix.questions] Dialing in/out with System V

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (10/29/87)

    In System V is there an *easy* way to use the same modem for
dialing in and dialing out ?  I am currently running Microport on
a 80286 machine, and they have a device node /dev/ttyM0 for example
that if you use this in your inittab, you can leave the modem in
autoanswer with a getty on; plus dial out at will with cu and kermit.
Everything works wonderful.

    Well today I got involved a bit with a NCR Tower series of machine
and found out that you *must* use seperate modems for autoanswer and
autodial! I couldnt beleive this. IS there an easy workaround or is this
a System V 'feature' ??  They have some kind of kluge script setup
to edit the inittab, init -q and then dialout, then edit inittab, init -q
to re-enable the getty on the modem port...YYeeuucckk! :-)

    If anybody can shed some light on this 'feature' and what some
alternatives might be I would be grateful. Meanwhile, Im going to
inquire to Microport and see what makes their ttyM0 so special instead
of the usual plain /dev/tty0. Thanks!

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           Packet: WA3WBU @ AK3P

rwhite@nusdhub.UUCP (Robert C. White Jr.) (10/30/87)

In article <167@wa3wbu.UUCP>, john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
> autodial! I couldnt beleive this. IS there an easy workaround or is this
> a System V 'feature' ??  They have some kind of kluge script setup
> to edit the inittab, init -q and then dialout, then edit inittab, init -q

If microport doesn't offer /usr/lib/uucp/uugetty, I don't know what to
say...  There ought to be a package like "Basic Networking Utilities"
which has the necessary files to support two way comunications over
a single modem.

> of the usual plain /dev/tty0. Thanks!

 Our SysV doesn't have this... I'v never heard of /dev/ttyM0 [???]

If you have to put the modem support together your self the sequence
goes something like this...

[With the modem only bringing carrier detect high when the modem actually
detects carrier...]

(program in place of getty:)
1) Attempts to open /dev/tty{whatever} with or without blocking [etc]
2) If/when the program is seccussful it checks for a lock file
	[in SVR2.0.x and above these are /usr/spool/locks/LCK..{ttyname}
	and they contain the process number of the locking process]
3) if there is no lock file, create one [containing pid] and then
	exec() getty <conviently renamed something else, with the
	suicide time set to 30 sec or so as app>
4) If there is a lockfile use kill(0,pid) to see if it is valid.  if it is
	valid sleep for a minute and then loop to #1.

It will be necessary to hack uucico and cu to dial the phone by
	doing the check for lock file as above, dial the modem
	with CLOCAL set and then unsetting it after "answer" or
	failure.

If you don't have source you can write a dialer which conforms as
	above but which then exec()(s) "cu.real -s{speed} -l{line}" if
	it was invoked as "cu" and similarly uucico.real [etc]

	This dialer is left as an excercize for the reader.

Rob.

wescott@sauron.UUCP (10/30/87)

In article <167@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
>     In System V is there an *easy* way to use the same modem for
> dialing in and dialing out ?

The BNU set of utilities (a.k.a. Honey DanBer UUCP) will provide such
capability.

>     Well today I got involved a bit with a NCR Tower series of machine
> and found out that you *must* use seperate modems for autoanswer and
> autodial!

The next major release of Tower32 (2.00) is supposed to have BNU.

--
	-Mike Wescott
	 wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM