[comp.unix.questions] Regulus, QNX, etc. etc.

Mark_David_McWiggins@cup.portal.com (10/31/87)

My company does warehouse automation applications.  We need a
real-time, multitasking, networkable OS.  We hear conflicting opinions
on QNX and cannot get Quantum to return our phone calls asking for
product info, which seems a bad sign.  Regulus also seems a possibility;
its vendor claims SVID conformance with a real-time kernel for the
680X0 and 80386.

Anybody have experience with either or both of these?  Regulus seems
ideal, if it lives up to the ad.

Thanks in advance.

gardner@kodak.UUCP (11/02/87)

In article <1196@cup.portal.com> Mark_David_McWiggins@cup.portal.com writes:
>My company does warehouse automation applications.  We need a
>real-time, multitasking, networkable OS.  We hear conflicting opinions
>on QNX and cannot get Quantum to return our phone calls asking for
>product info, which seems a bad sign.

I've heard that Quantam has exhibited some strange behavior lately, but it
hasn't affected me directly.  My communications with them has always been
courteous, timely, and complete.
They operate a free, bulletin-board for users, on which lots of free soft-
ware is available.  They also post Beta-type sofware for testing, and, when
release versions are available, registered users can download the latest
versions. Some examples are: MicroEmacs editor, and Curses libraries.

I think that QNX is the ideal RTOS for controlling machinery.  I have had a
single-node copy for several months, and am in the process of stringing
cable for a small development network now.  QNX runs in protected mode on
AT's, taking advantage of the '286 architecture.  I have discovered several
methods of controlling I/O under QNX, some of which are quite amazing.
Bitbus for example - Micro Switch Div. of Honeywell now makes PLC-type I/O
modules that have a Bitbus front-end.  That means that cabling requirements
are now ridiculously easy (using a single twisted-pair  RS-485).  Firmware
is available that permits ladder logic OR Basic programming.  Furthermore,
a Basic compiler is available that really puts the controller into Warp
Drive.

	For consultation on QNX, you can hire:
		Data Kinetics
		97 Norman St.
		Ottawa, Ontario
		K1S 3K5         (613) 238-6709
They also teach several courses on QNX and related topics.  I attended a
QNX Workshop there, and was impressed with their knowledge and friendly
manner.

One thing to keep in mind -- QNX is NOT Unix. It is MUCH smaller, and VERY,
VERY fast!  Even though it uses Arcnet for its (almost) built-in networking,
which has a bit rate of 2.5M, it out-performs 10M bit Ethernet systems by
about 2 to 1. It is a token-passing, multi-drop type of system.  I have
purchased a 'C' shell for QNX, which makes the kernel a little larger, but
makes it look much more like Berkeley Unix.

I have purchased several QNX products from:
		T & T Computer Products
		P.O. Box 33213
		Tulsa, Oklahoma   74153
		(918) 663-1879
They are a distributor for Quantam, and offer a 10% discount off list.
They are also a resource for QNX software and hardware products.  I have
had very good results from these people.  They've been fast, courteous, and
thorough.

The bottom line -- I've investigated many RTOS's , including VRTX, MTOS,
pSOS, etc.  I've gotten reports (from internal sources) on several others,
such as Flexos, Idris, and UNIX SYSV from Microport, and we all seem to
agree that QNX suits our machine control needs better than any of these.

I hope this information has been helpful.

Please email for any more info.

   Dick Gardner -- Eastman Kodak Co.  Rochester, New York  14650
                   Phone: (716) 477-1002
                   UUCP: {allegra,rutgers}!rochester!kodak!gardner
  "Oh yeah?!? Well, MY computer is SOOOOO FAST, it executes an infinite
     						loop in 6 seconds!!!"