[comp.unix.questions] B-tree routines/package for Sys V.2,3 Unix...

mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (10/29/87)

Anybody know where I can get a set of B-tree routines that manage
b-trees?  Of specific importance is that the routines handle elements
with varable length records or variable length fields within records
(whatever the difference may be). Any relational DB stuff that doesn't limit
the size of data elements would do but that usually costs.

C-Isam for example does not handle variable length records :'(

Public domain is preferred because this will go into a product and
paying royalties or big bucks up front is not very inviting to us.

Thanks in advance!!!

--
Mitchell Lerner
UUCP:  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!mitchell

"When I fight with my mind, my mind always wins" - Ben Hummel

jon@chiron.UUCP (Jon L. Griffeth) (11/03/87)

There is a data base package called C-tree produced by Faircom.
Among other things it has the following features:

    1. Source is provided (written in C).  In fact that all you get,
       plus documentation, of course.

    2. It's designed to be quickly and easily ported to different
       operating systems (System V included).

    3. Record locking is supported (this depends on the OS).

    4. Variable length records are supported (I haven't used it, so
       wouldn't know how good this is).

    5. The btrees are maintained in disk files (data and index files
       are seperate).

    6. Virtual files are supported (if case you run into a limit on the
       number of files you can have open at a time).

    7. Low level btree support.  High level ISAM support.

    8. It's seems reasonably fast (on an IBM PC/XT).

    9. No royalties are required.

   10. I believe it costs $395 (sorry it's not public domain).

           Faircom
           4006 West Broadway
	   Columbia, MO 65203

	   (314) 445-6833

I have used on two projects and I am fairly pleased with it.  It's a nice
product.

Jon L. Griffeth                         Usenet: rochester!cci632!chiron!jon
16 Teakwood Lane                        Phone: (716) 425-4372
Fairport, NY 14450

mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark D. Freeman) (11/05/87)

In <103@chiron.UUCP> jon@chiron.UUCP (Jon L. Griffeth) writes:

>There is a data base package called C-tree produced by Faircom.
>Among other things it has the following features:
>
>    2. It's designed to be quickly and easily ported to different
>       operating systems (System V included).

It has already been ported to just about everything.

>    3. Record locking is supported (this depends on the OS).

It comes with include files for each environment that needs to do weird
things for record locking, so *you* don't have to figure it out.

>    4. Variable length records are supported (I haven't used it, so
>       wouldn't know how good this is).

You just tell it how long the fixed length portion is (must come
first), how long is the maximum for the variable length portion, and it
handles the rest automagically.

>    5. The btrees are maintained in disk files (data and index files
>       are seperate).

Source to a reindex program is included.

>    6. Virtual files are supported (if case you run into a limit on the
>       number of files you can have open at a time).

This means that you can open dozens of files in MSDOS, and it
automatically closes the least-recently-used as you open each new file.
When you need one that has been automatically closed, it automatically
re-opens and repositions it.  Works great!

--
Mark D. Freeman							(614) 262-3703
StrongPoint Systems, Inc.			    mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu