[comp.unix.questions] SUN sendmail

roberts@edsews.UUCP (Ted Roberts) (10/24/87)

During an install of smail 2.5 on a SUN 3/280 running version 3.2 of the
operating system, I ran into a problem with the domainname macro (normally
$D).  Even though the domainname is defined in sendmail.cf, SUN appears to
redefine it to be the Yellow Pages domainname.  Has anybody found a resonable
workaround for this problem short of redefining the YP domainname.
--
Ted Roberts
EDS TSD

dave@rosesun.Rosemount.COM (Dave Marquardt) (10/27/87)

In article <315@edsews.UUCP> roberts@edsews.UUCP (Ted Roberts) writes:
>During an install of smail 2.5 on a SUN 3/280 running version 3.2 of the
>operating system, I ran into a problem with the domainname macro (normally
>$D).  Even though the domainname is defined in sendmail.cf, SUN appears to
>redefine it to be the Yellow Pages domainname.  Has anybody found a resonable
>workaround for this problem short of redefining the YP domainname.

No, the only reasonable workaround I found was to upgrade to SunOS 3.4.

	Dave

kyle@xanth.UUCP (Kyle Jones) (10/28/87)

In article <315@edsews.UUCP>, roberts@edsews.UUCP (Ted Roberts) writes:
> During an install of smail 2.5 on a SUN 3/280 running version 3.2 of the
> operating system, I ran into a problem with the domainname macro (normally
> $D).  Even though the domainname is defined in sendmail.cf, SUN appears to
> redefine it to be the Yellow Pages domainname.  Has anybody found a resonable
> workaround for this problem short of redefining the YP domainname.

I found that if you do not freeze the configuration file the domain name is
not changed.  The documentation SAYS that the YP domain name and the
organizational name are separate, but sendmail thinks otherwise, at least when
the sendmail.cf is frozen.  I don't know whether this is true of later Sun OS
3.x sendmails; I became so enraged with Sun's sendmail that I ported real
sendmail (4.3 BSD sendmail) to our Suns and have been happy since.

kyle jones  <kyle@odu.edu>  old dominion university, norfolk, va  usa

shprentz@bdmrrr.UUCP (10/29/87)

In article <315@edsews.UUCP>, roberts@edsews.UUCP (Ted Roberts) writes:
> During an install of smail 2.5 on a SUN 3/280 running version 3.2 of the
> operating system, I ran into a problem with the domainname macro (normally
> $D).  Even though the domainname is defined in sendmail.cf, SUN appears to
> redefine it to be the Yellow Pages domainname.  Has anybody found a resonable
> workaround for this problem short of redefining the YP domainname?

We encountered this problem in February when we installed Sun's release 3.2.
I checked with Sun's Tech Support and they said that there was a known bug
in sendmail that caused this behavior.  It should be fixed in release 3.4.

The workaround is to delete the frozen configuration file, /usr/lib/sendmail.fc,
and to skip the installation step that creates it.  In other words, do not
execute the command /usr/lib/sendmail -bz.  The problem is only present in
frozen configuration files.
--
Joel Shprentz                   Phone:  (703) 848-7305
BDM Corporation                 Uucp:  {rutgers,vrdxhq,rlgvax}!bdmrrr!shprentz

wyle@ethz.UUCP (Mitchell Wyle) (11/01/87)

All of the suns here are "public;" users go to the nearest un-occupied
machine to work; the machine=domain naming scheme is therefore not
acceptable.  What should my sendmail.cf files look like to have one
central mail server, but let users read their mail from ANY machine?

Mitch
--
Mitchell F. Wyle           | csnet or arpa:  wyle%ifi.ethz.ch@relay.cs.net
Instituet fuer Informatik  | uucp:           wyle@ethz.uucp

dudek@ubglue.ksr.com (Glen Dudek) (11/04/87)

In article <234@bernina.UUCP> wyle@ethz.UUCP (Mitchell Wyle) writes:
>All of the suns here are "public;" users go to the nearest un-occupied
>machine to work; the machine=domain naming scheme is therefore not
>acceptable.  What should my sendmail.cf files look like to have one
>central mail server, but let users read their mail from ANY machine?

I set up a network of Suns which remote mount /usr/spool/mail from the
master mail server.  This allows users to read their mail from any
machine.  Rather than let mail be delivered to mailboxes on any
machine, I made a one line change to the sendmail.subsidiary.cf
to forward local mail to the central mail server.  This helps avoid
locking problems, and also prevents strange error conditions and
dropped mail if the central mail server is down and a client tries
to deliver mail.  Since the client will try to forward the mail to
the mail server, sendmail will simply queue the mail and retry periodically
until the mail server reboots.

You still need to be careful about mail programs which try to use flock
to lock the mailbox, since flock isn't supported across NFS, but I am
pretty sure Sun mailers do NOT use this.  Emacs and mh and others should
be compiled not to use flock.

Note that this change requires that the master mail host also be the host
which you mount /usr/spool/mail from.

sendmail.subsidiary.cf diffs
-------------------------------
422,423c422,423
< # everything else is a local name
< R$+			$#local $:$1			local names
---
> # everything else is a local name, send to mail host
> R$+			$#$M $@$R $:$1			local names
-------------------------------

I also made a change to sendmail.main.cf so that mail addressed to other
Suns on our network is just delivered locally on the master mail host.
This is just an optimization, since otherwise the master mail host will
send the mail to the client mail host, which will strip its hostname
and send it back to the master.  You should not make this optimization
if you have other SMTP hosts on your ethernet which do not remote mount
/usr/spool/mail from this master.

sendmail.main.cf diffs
-------------------------------
406,407c406,408
< # deliver to known ethernet hosts explicitly specified in our domain
< R$*<@$*$%y.LOCAL>$*	$#ether $@$3 $:$1@$2$3.$D.$U$4	user@etherhost.sun.uucp
---
> # deliver mail for known ethernet hosts explicitly specified in our domain
> #  to us
> R$*<@$*$%y.LOCAL>$*	$@$>30 $1
432c433
< R$*<@$*$%y>$*		$#ether $@$3 $:$1@$2$3$4	user@etherhost
---
> R$*<@$*$%y>$*		$@$>30 $1
-------------------------------

	Glen Dudek
	dudek%ksr.UUCP@harvard.harvard.edu

steve@mimsy.UUCP (Steve D. Miller) (11/09/87)

In article <191@ksr.UUCP> dudek@ksr.UUCP (Glen Dudek) writes:
[ ... ]
>sendmail.subsidiary.cf diffs
>-------------------------------
>422,423c422,423
>< # everything else is a local name
>< R$+			$#local $:$1			local names
>---
>> # everything else is a local name, send to mail host
>> R$+			$#$M $@$R $:$1			local names
>-------------------------------

[ ... ]
>	Glen Dudek
>	dudek%ksr.UUCP@harvard.harvard.edu

This sort of reforwarding of local mail will cause some problems.  We do
something like this (for now) at Maryland, and our users can't send mail
to files or to programs on our Sun clients.  Such mail gets forwarded to
the local mail gateway, which gripes about not accepting mail to
files/programs via SMTP.  (Your sendmail might possibly deliver such
reforwarded mail, but if it does, that's a big security hole.  I don't
remember enough of sendmail's history to know if it ever pulled such
shenanigans....)

If you don't care a whole lot about this feature, then its absence is
no problem.  It would be nice if sendmail's local mailer was a bit less
arbitrarily knowledgeable, and if dealing with quote marks in sendmail
config files was possible.  (Is it?  I tried, and could never get it
to do what I wanted.  Any rule I could come up with that might match
"|$*" failed in interesting ways.)

Mail is such fun...

	-Steve

--
Spoken: Steve Miller    Domain: steve@mimsy.umd.edu    UUCP: uunet!mimsy!steve
Phone: +1-301-454-1516  USPS: UMIACS, Univ. of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742