[comp.unix.questions] Wanted: public domain B-tree/ISAM stuff

MANSFIEL%EMBL.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU (Niall Mansfield) (11/08/87)

I'm looking for public-domain functions to implement
anything like B-trees, or ISAM or indexed sequential files
under Unix, preferably written in C.

Can anyone point me to this stuff?

Thanks,

Niall

kris@ncspm.UUCP (11/09/87)

In article <10223@brl-adm.ARPA> MANSFIEL%EMBL.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU (Niall Mansfield) writes:

>I'm looking for public-domain functions to implement
>anything like B-trees, or ISAM or indexed sequential files
>under Unix, preferably written in C.
>
>Can anyone point me to this stuff?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Niall

I have been seeing alot of requests for this information on the net.
I have replied to some and others I have not had time.  Yes there
is a package in the public domain ( or soon to be ) using both B-trees
and ISAM.  The package is known as the Secretary.  I have been holding
off on delivery to work on refinements and to determine if I really want
to flush this on to the world.  Any one who is interested in the package
described below can write me and I will determine from how many answers I
get as to how I will destribute.  But I will within one week place the
documentation on the package into comp.sources.d.  At any rate here is
a slight description of the package:

     Secretary Version 2.0

	This package is split into two parts.  The first is a file
	managment system using ISAM technique (Sort of.;  It is not
	true ISAM as described by the developers).  It allows data
	records up to 32k and allows for an almost infinite number
	of records.  It handles variable and fixed length data records.
	It handles mutiple process access without a server and
	exclusive access for greater efficiency in buffering.  The
	second is a Index Management System bassed on Knuth's B-tree
	algorithm.  It allows variable and fixed length records.
	Keys are stored with associated record numbers for data
	records store using the ISAM file management.  It
	automatically handles multiple process access (This may be
	a deficiency). Each index file has it's own application
	supplied comparison routine which allows for keys of
	any type.  Oh and a bunch of other good stuff.

     Secretary Version 3.0

	This is basically the same as Version 2.0 except that the
	file management and B-tree indexing have been compined into
	one system (Voila - - True ISAM indexing using B-tree method.)

     In general the library builds data base files on the basic same
     technique that Unix uses for its file system.  The library has
     a set of kernel routines that allow an application developer to
     make his own library bassed on his own needs.  The package is in
     my opinion as good as anything you will find on the market
     (ISAM/BTREE).  But of couse I think that, "don't be ridiculous",
     I wrote the package.  It is currently copyrighted in my name but
     I am willing to let go of it for a promotional plug. I.e., I have
     a screen management system that I will be placing on the market
     sometime in April and I will be sending propaganda along with the
     distribution (Isn't this country great!!!).

So If any one has any more questions that can write me.  As far as I
now there are not any packages on the net of this nature.  If some
does however have a package I would be intrested in seeing it (I'm
always looking to improve my software or to use better software than
my own.)

"Thank you for your support"

Kristopher Tyra               uucp:     ...!mcnc!ncsuvx!ncspm!kris
Domain:	kris@ncspm.ncsu.edu   internet: kris%ncspm@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu