[comp.unix.questions] BSD uucp over ethernet

kjb@zycad.UUCP (Kevin Buchs) (11/03/87)

Is it possible to get uucp to talk over ethernet/tcp/ip?  My Nutshell book
on uupc and usenet says just add the system name in the L.sys file where
the device should go.  This does not seem to do much good.
--
Kevin Buchs   3500 Zycad Dr. Oakdale, MN 55109  (612)779-5548
Zycad Corp.   {rutgers,ihnp4,amdahl,umn-cs}!meccts!nis!zycad!kjb

ehrlich@psuvax1.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) (11/05/87)

In article <674@zycad.UUCP> kjb@zycad.UUCP (Kevin Buchs) writes:
>Is it possible to get uucp to talk over ethernet/tcp/ip?  My Nutshell book
>on uupc and usenet says just add the system name in the L.sys file where
>the device should go.  This does not seem to do much good.
>--
>Kevin Buchs   3500 Zycad Dr. Oakdale, MN 55109  (612)779-5548
>Zycad Corp.   {rutgers,ihnp4,amdahl,umn-cs}!meccts!nis!zycad!kjb

You need more than just the system name.  Here is a sample entry from
our L.sys for the host gondor which is on our local ethernet.

gondor Any;5 TCP uucp gondor "" TheLoginName "" ThePassWord

"TCP" in the caller filed specifies that this system should be
contacted using TCP.  "uucp" is the "service" name from /etc/services,
i.e. what port on the remote system should be contacted.  The host
name actually goes into the phone number field.
--
Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@psuvax1.{psu.edu,bitnet,uucp}>
The Pennsylvania State University, Department of Computer Science

guy%gorodish@Sun.COM (Guy Harris) (11/05/87)

> >Is it possible to get uucp to talk over ethernet/tcp/ip?  My Nutshell book
> >on uupc and usenet says just add the system name in the L.sys file where
> >the device should go.  This does not seem to do much good.

> You need more than just the system name.  Here is a sample entry from
> our L.sys for the host gondor which is on our local ethernet.
>
> gondor Any;5 TCP uucp gondor "" TheLoginName "" ThePassWord

This presumes that the person in question has a UUCP with the same "UUCP over
TCP" feature that yours does.  This is not a universal feature; prior to the
release of Honey DanBer, I don't think any releases from AT&T had this feature
in their UUCP (it was added to the standard AT&T UUCP, along with lots of other
stuff, in various 4BSD UUCPs), and I think Honey DanBer does it differently.
	Guy Harris
	guy@sun.com

evan@ndcheg.UUCP (Evan Bauman) (11/06/87)

In article <3052@psuvax1.psu.edu>, ehrlich@psuvax1.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
> In article <674@zycad.UUCP> kjb@zycad.UUCP (Kevin Buchs) writes:
> >Is it possible to get uucp to talk over ethernet/tcp/ip?  My Nutshell book
> >on uupc and usenet says just add the system name in the L.sys file where
> >the device should go.  This does not seem to do much good.
> >--
>
> You need more than just the system name.  Here is a sample entry from
> our L.sys for the host gondor which is on our local ethernet.
>
> gondor Any;5 TCP uucp gondor "" TheLoginName "" ThePassWord
>
> "TCP" in the caller filed specifies that this system should be
> contacted using TCP.  "uucp" is the "service" name from /etc/services,
> i.e. what port on the remote system should be contacted.  The host
> name actually goes into the phone number field.
> --

I've been trying to get our Sun 3/50 to do this for quite a while.
The Suns speak SMTP to each other for mail, but our Convergent
miniframes like to speak uucp over the ethernet for mail.

How to get them to talk to each other??

I tried the above suggestion on the Sun, but uucico complains
of a non-existant device.  Anyone have any suggestions for an entry
in L-devices?

Furthermore, the Sun release of BSD doesn't contain a uucp
daemon program, so there's nothing to answer when a miniframe
tries to open a connection.  Maybe I should use the rlogind program...

In any case, all comments and suggestions for solving this
apparent incompatibility are appreciated.

	Evan Bauman
	University of Notre Dame
	..!iuvax!ndcheg!evan

ehrlich@psuvax1.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) (11/06/87)

In article <33008@sun.uucp> guy%gorodish@Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:

>This presumes that the person in question has a UUCP with the same "UUCP over
>TCP" feature that yours does.  This is not a universal feature; prior to the

As the original subject line was "BSD uucp over ethernet" I made the assumption
that the person in question was running BSD UNIX.  If this is not the case then
you are correct.  Never having used Honey DanBer UUCP I am not in a position
to comment on their implementation of UUCP/TCP.

guy@gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) (11/07/87)

> As the original subject line was "BSD uucp over ethernet" I made the
> assumption that the person in question was running BSD UNIX.  If this is
> not the case then you are correct.

Even if they *are* running BSD they may not have 4.3BSD-compatible support for
UUCP over TCP/IP; 4.2BSD's UUCP didn't have it.  It all depends on *which* BSD
they're running....
	Guy Harris
	guy@sun.com

evan@ndcheg.UUCP (Evan Bauman) (11/08/87)

In article <33286@sun.uucp>, guy@gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
> > As the original subject line was "BSD uucp over ethernet" I made the
> > assumption that the person in question was running BSD UNIX.  If this is
> > not the case then you are correct.
>
> Even if they *are* running BSD they may not have 4.3BSD-compatible support for
> UUCP over TCP/IP; 4.2BSD's UUCP didn't have it.  It all depends on *which* BSD
> they're running....

So that's it?  I can't run uucp over ethernet because Sun's OS is a
derivative of 4.2BSD.  This is the first reasonable answer I've received.

Thanks to Mr. Harris for clearing this up.  So when will Sun ship 4.3BSD? :)

	Evan Bauman
	Univ. of Notre Dame
	..!iuvax!ndcheg!evan

guy@gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) (11/09/87)

> So that's it?  I can't run uucp over ethernet because Sun's OS is a
> derivative of 4.2BSD.  This is the first reasonable answer I've received.

No, you can't run UUCP over TCP because Sun's UUCP is not a derivative of
4.3BSD's UUCP nor is it a derivative of one of the versions of Honey DanBer
UUCP that supports UUCP over TCP.  It isn't a derivative of 4.2BSD's UUCP
either.

> So when will Sun ship 4.3BSD? :)

Sun ships SunOS, which is derived from various 4BSD flavors and various System
V flavors (as well as including a lot of Sun code not derived from any existing
flavor of UNIX); we don't ship 4.2BSD nor 4.3BSD, so this isn't quite the right
question to ask.

The right question to ask would be "when will Sun ship a version of SunOS that
includes a a UUCP that supports UUCP over TCP?"  (don't assume that such a
version will necessarily be the 4.3BSD UUCP).  Unfortunately, I don't know the
answer to that question.

If you have 4.3BSD source, you can try porting the 4.3BSD UUCP to your Sun(s);
I believe Rick Adams ran the 4.3BSD UUCP on "seismo", which is currently a
Sun-3.
	Guy Harris
	guy@sun.com

david@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (David Robinson) (11/09/87)

In article <331@ndcheg.UUCP>, evan@ndcheg.UUCP (Evan Bauman) writes:
> In article <33286@sun.uucp>, guy@gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
> > > As the original subject line was "BSD uucp over ethernet" I made the
> > > assumption that the person in question was running BSD UNIX.  If this is
> > > not the case then you are correct.

> > Even if they *are* running BSD they may not have 4.3BSD-compatible support for
> > UUCP over TCP/IP; 4.2BSD's UUCP didn't have it.  It all depends on *which* BSD
> > they're running....

> So that's it?  I can't run uucp over ethernet because Sun's OS is a
> derivative of 4.2BSD.  This is the first reasonable answer I've received.

> Thanks to Mr. Harris for clearing this up.  So when will Sun ship 4.3BSD? :)

> 	Evan Bauman

I have made a formal complaint/request to Sun to provide 4.3bsd UUCP
support but had it politely rejected.  Their arguements were that they
did not precieve a need or desire of their users to have 4.3bsd UUCP.

They do not see a need for TCP/IP UUCP and think that machines should
forward their mail to a central mail machine via sendmail and have it
UUCP it to the outside world.  This is fine if your network is
an island and all outside communication is via phone lines but if you
are as so many more are now, connected to a wide area network
such as NSFnet or the DARPA Internet or in our case the NSInet
we like our central main machine to UUCP to other sites via TCP/IP
in other states using the existing networks.

My solution was to port 4.3bsd UUCP to our main Sun machines.  This
works if you have access to 4.3bsd source but otherwise you are out
of luck.

Another point which is valid from a commercial point of view is that
4.3bsd UUCP has a different directory structure and some files
are quite different.  This would mean the the entire installed base
would have to make significant changes between major revisions.

Other companies such as Masscomp devised their own UUCP over TCP/IP
protocol that is unique to their machines, it is nice but completely
incompatible with all existing TCP/IP UUCP's.

--
	David Robinson		elroy!david@csvax.caltech.edu     ARPA
				david@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov

ron@emcard.UUCP (Ron Saad) (11/10/87)

In article <4799@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> david@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (David Robinson) writes:
[...]
:
:Other companies such as Masscomp devised their own UUCP over TCP/IP
:protocol that is unique to their machines, it is nice but completely
:incompatible with all existing TCP/IP UUCP's.
:
[...]
:	David Robinson		elroy!david@csvax.caltech.edu     ARPA
:				david@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov
:				ames!elroy!david UUCP
:Disclaimer: No one listens to me anyway!

4.3bsd uucp runs just fine on a Masscomp (5600, RTU-3.0).  Of course
that assumes you have the source for 4.3 ...

We have the 4.3bsd uucp running on our Masscomp and on a Vax 750 with
Ultrix 1.2.  It was *much* easier then trying to figure out what
Masscomp's protocol wanted to see on the other side.

--
UUCP:  ...gatech!emcard!ron                         Ron Saad  (AA4WG, 4Z4UY)
MAIL:  Woodruff Memorial Research Bldg Rm 414,      Emory Clinic Cardiovascular