[comp.unix.questions] CUBIX Computers

shades@csuchico.EDU (Bennett Smith) (11/04/87)

During the past few days I have noticed a string of replies to a letter
asking for information on the CUBIX computer systems.  It seems as though
all parties which replied are somewhat misinformed where this machine is
concerned.

First of all, the machine is running AT&T iAPX286 Unix System V Release
2, which was ported by Interactive Systems, and then CUBIX wrote the
drivers for the box.  It is *not* running Microsoft, nor does it run
any form of XENIX.  The system can run Microport binary files, as they
(Microport) also got the SysV port from Interactive Systems.

I hope the following specifications will help clarify the features of the
CUBIX machines.

As for price, the basic CUBIX/2 retails for $5995.00.*  The development
Unix software costs an aditional $1000.  That seems like a reasonable
"bang-per-buck" ratio to me.  We are using one of their 16 user machines
for inhouse software development and have only found a few bugs with the
system so far.

Specifications For CUBIX/2 in BASIC Configuration.

	Number of User Ports		8
	Processor
	  Main Processor		80286
	  Clock Frequency		8MHz
	  Wait States			Zero
	  Data Bus Size			16-bit
	  Address Bus Size		24-bit
	  Floating Co-processor(option)	80287
	DMA Channels			4(floppy, Winchester, tape, serial)
	RAM				2MB-8MB
	Serial Communications
	  Ports				8
	  Baud Rate			Up to 38.4K Baud
	  RS-232			Yes (no DTR yet)
	  Din Interface			Yes - 8 pin
	Network Port			Ethernet communications -
					Buffered intelligent controller based
					on a 16-bit microprocessor using
					the 82586 protocol device.
					Controller has a 512 Kbytes of dual
					ported memory mapped RAM
					designed to efficiently support
					very demanding, high speed net-
					working environments.
	Floppy Disk Drives*
	  Number of Drives Supported	1
	  Physical Size			5 1/4
	  Unformatted Size		1.6MB
	  Formatted Size		1.2MB
	  *Over 30 formats supported
	Hard Disk Drives
	  Number of Drives Supported	1
	  Physical Size			5 1/4
	  Drive Options			50MB, 103MB, 220MB formatted
	  Data Transfer Rate		7.5Mb/sec (RLL)
	Tape Drive
	  Capacity			60MB
	  Recording Mode		QIC-02 (standard intelligent for-
					matter) DMA supported for
					streaming tape.
	  Tape Speed			90 IPS
	CUBIX Power
	  Internal			3 minutes standard on every
					system.
	  External (optional)		Up to one hour of standby power.
	Operating System		Unix V.2 implementation conform-
					ing to SVID (System V Interface
					Definitions).
	Characteristics
	  Height			11"
	  Width				11"
	  Depth				11"
	  Weight			40 lbs.

  \  \    Shades @ CVM Systems             uucp: ihnp4!csun!csuchic!cvm!shades
   O^O	  disclamer: opinions are mine,    voice: (916) 895-8321
	             and not CVM Systems.

        * CVM Systems is an Authorized CUBIX Reseller.

wolf@well.UUCP (Dwight Leu) (11/11/87)

In article <893@csuchic.csuchico.EDU>, shades@csuchico.EDU (Bennett Smith) writes:
> During the past few days I have noticed a string of replies to a letter
> asking for information on the CUBIX computer systems.  It seems as though
> all parties which replied are somewhat misinformed where this machine is
> concerned.

I'm sorry to say that you are too, at least about the software.

> First of all, the machine is running AT&T iAPX286 Unix System V Release
> 2, which was ported by Interactive Systems, and then CUBIX wrote the
> drivers for the box.  It is *not* running Microsoft, nor does it run
> any form of XENIX.  The system can run Microport binary files, as they
> (Microport) also got the SysV port from Interactive Systems.

ISC did *not* do the iAPX286 port. This was done by Chuck Hickey's
group at DRI. After the port was given to ATT and Intel, DRI lost interest
in UNIX, and Microport was spun off from Chuck's original group.
ISC took over the maintenance of the 286 release, and wasn't involved in
the original 286 porting effort.

Microport's people have been pioneering real UNIX technology on the
Intel architecture longer than anyone else in industry. We did the
first UNIX port to the IBM AT architecture, as well as the first port to
the 386 AT hardware. Our expertise enabled us to finish the 386 AT
port faster than Interactive, even though they were responsible for
the certified 386 port, left out key parts of the 386 alpha release,
and started two weeks ahead of us. According to Intel, we finished
two weeks before they did. And our longer experience with Intel/IBM/ATT
is why our 286 and 386 releases run faster, and on more AT's, than
either the certified ATT release, or ISC's release (there *is* a
difference between certified ATT UNIX, and ISC UNIX).

Microport does not get its software from ISC; it's too expensive.
We've always had a close relationship with both ATT and Intel,
and we get our software only from them. You are correct about
the binary compatibility. However, at Comdex I talked to the Cubix
people and they claimed they got their original software from Microport.
But I'm in engineering, not sales, and have no further information here.

I was impressed by the Cubix box. It's incredibly tiny, and the
performance seemed to be quite good.

>  \  \    Shades \@ CVM Systems             uucp: ihnp4!csun!csuchic!cvm!shades
>   O^O    disclamer: opinions are mine,    voice: (916) 895-8321
>                     and not CVM Systems.

>        * CVM Systems is an Authorized CUBIX Reseller.

	-dwight-

	Dwight H. Leu			ihnp4!amdcad!uport!dwight
	V.P. Engineering		well!wolf
	Microport			microsoft!sco!ucscc!uport!dwight

	408-438-8649

"Will your XENIX application run next year when Microsoft drops XENIX and
 switches to UNIX? Not even Microsoft guarantees it."