[comp.unix.questions] --- Cron: Bizarre double execution?!?

fortin@zap.UUCP (Denis Fortin) (10/28/87)

Greetings...

	I have an extremely puzzling problem on my System V Release 2
system (Microport).  In the past few weeks, I have noticed that my cron
log file contains many entries which look like this:

>  CMD: /usr/lib/uucp/uusub -celevia
>  uucp 110 c Wed Oct 28 06:37:06 1987
<  uucp 110 c Wed Oct 28 06:37:07 1987
>  CMD: /usr/lib/uucp/uusub -celevia
>  uucp 112 c Wed Oct 28 06:38:35 1987
<  uucp 112 c Wed Oct 28 06:38:37 1987

	Somehow, it seems that cron gets confused and starts executing every
command *twice* -- this has a pretty devastating effect with some commands!
I have checked and re-checked: the commands appear only *once* in the
crontab command files (crontab -l) and I have only one incarnation of
cron running!

				I thank you all in advance...

--
Denis Fortin,				| fortin@zap.UUCP
CAE Electronics Ltd			| rutgers!mit-eddie!musocs!zap!fortin

brian@casemo.UUCP (Brian Cuthie ) (11/13/87)

In article <236@zap.UUCP>, fortin@zap.UUCP (Denis Fortin) writes:
> Greetings...
>
> 	I have an extremely puzzling problem on my System V Release 2
> system (Microport).  In the past few weeks, I have noticed that my cron
> log file contains many entries which look like this:
> 	Somehow, it seems that cron gets confused and starts executing every
> command *twice* -- this has a pretty devastating effect with some commands!
> I have checked and re-checked: the commands appear only *once* in the
> crontab command files (crontab -l) and I have only one incarnation of
> cron running!

You don't, by chance, have a cron entry to fix the slow clock, do you ?  I
have the same problem with my cron.  It runs everything twice.  As best
I can tell, it's caused by cron getting confused by the time slipping
suddenly ahead periodicly.

I have a cron entry that set's the clock from the CMOS clock every hour.
I need this because as of 2.3.0-L, Microport still hasn't fixed the clock
(at least not on my machine).  If you have a similar entry, try removing
it.  Removing mine makes the problem go away.

Sure would be nice if Microport would fix the clock !

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Cuthie
CASE Communications
Columbia, MD 21046
(301) 290 - 7443

rcw@qetzal.UUCP (Robert C. White) (11/15/87)

In the above referenced articles, two problems are mentioned:

1. Cron in the 2.2 release of Microport System V/AT executes
   everything twice.

   Problem is solved in 2.3. Of course, as was pointed out,
   resetting the system clock further confuses cron.

2. Clock not fixed.

    Not true. On 2.3, do this as superuser:

	/etc/patch  /system5 clocktic <number>

    Some trial numbers are: 0x4dad for ibm systems, 0x5013
    for a 10mhz acer AT, or 0x4d70 for an 8mhz NCR PCA. Lower
    values will speed up the unix clock, higher values slow
    it down.

3. This is all described on page 10 (second dot) of the 2.3
   release notes.

Email to unix-at-request@uwspan with questions about the newsgroup unix-at,
otherwise mail to unix-at@uwspan with a Subject containing one of:
	    386 286 Bug Source Merge or "Send Buglist"
(Bangpath: rutgers!uwvax!uwspan!unix-at & rutgers!uwvax!uwspan!unix-at-request)

brian@casemo.UUCP (Brian Cuthie ) (11/17/87)

In article <448@qetzal.UUCP>, rcw@qetzal.UUCP (Robert C. White) writes:
> In the above referenced articles, two problems are mentioned:
>
> 1. Cron in the 2.2 release of Microport System V/AT executes
> 2. Clock not fixed.
>
>     Not true. On 2.3, do this as superuser:

Yes, I know.  I posted the original article that stated the clock was still
not fixed under 2.3.0   The problem was that I was sent the linkkit and
*nothing* else.   The release notes would have been nice.

Cheers,
brian