[comp.unix.questions] uPort's boasts questionable

amys@sco.COM (Amy Snader) (11/13/87)

There's just so much BS out of Microport I can stand, even
though I make no claim to having an impartial opinion...

In article <4423@well.UUCP> wolf@well.UUCP (Dwight Leu) writes:

>Microport's people have been pioneering real UNIX technology on the
>Intel architecture longer than anyone else in industry.

Note the words: Microport's people, not
Microport.  Some people who worked on the DRI
porting team now work for Microport.  That's a very small
percentage of a small company.

>We did the
>first UNIX port to the IBM AT architecture, as well as the first port to
>the 386 AT hardware.

When the AT port was completed hardly matters, because it was
never released by DRI or Intel.
By the time this port became un-shelved, evolved into Microport's
product and was released by Microport,
there were a number of other UNIX and UNIX-derived
products in the AT marketplace.

As for the 386 AT, who was first is a matter of debate.
SCO shipped Xenix before Microport shipped V/386.  By two
whole days, I think.  However you look at it, the two release
dates were so close as to be silly.

>	-dwight-
>
>	Dwight H. Leu			ihnp4!amdcad!uport!dwight
>	V.P. Engineering		well!wolf
>	Microport			microsoft!sco!ucscc!uport!dwight
>	408-438-8649
>
>"Will your XENIX application run next year when Microsoft drops XENIX and
> switches to UNIX? Not even Microsoft guarantees it."

Such invective!
Dwight should know better.  First "misunderstanding": that Microsoft
is "dropping XENIX and switching to UNIX".  Microsoft isn't dropping
anything: they are merging the two products.  What the merged
product is called is irrelevant: it was as much born out of XENIX
as anything.  As evidence of this, note that AT&T is
paying royalties to Microsoft for the use of the XENIX technology
in the merged product.

Second "misunderstanding": the implication
that XENIX applications won't run after the merge.
I haven't seen a formal statement out of MS, which
is what you probably mean by "guarantee."
I haven't seen any statement out of MS claiming
compatibility with any other sort of current binary.
This is meaningless invective.

What is true is that being able to run older applications has
always been a key attribute of XENIX.  XENIX 386 can not only
run XENIX 286 and XENIX 86 binaries, it can generate them.
The philosophy of not breaking applications has been pervasive
in XENIX from the very beginning, when we were careful not
to break Altos applications.  Obviously, a product that
is the next generation of XENIX will put a high value on preserving
the compatibility that has always been XENIX.

Since Microsoft is doing the merge, I'd expect that if they
were forced to break either XENIX binaries or Coff binaries, they'd
do the latter, both because there's more XENIX binaries out
there and as a matter of remaining true to your own.

I speak solely for myself, not for SCO.
Followups should probably go either to comp.unix.xenix or the Microport
group, if it ever gets established.

		--amy
		{ihnp4,microsof,amdcad}!sco!abs

kevin@iisat.UUCP (11/17/87)

In article <384@sco>, amys@sco.COM (Amy Snader) writes:
> In article <4423@well.UUCP> wolf@well.UUCP (Dwight Leu) writes:
>
> >"Will your XENIX application run next year when Microsoft drops XENIX and
> > switches to UNIX? Not even Microsoft guarantees it."
>
> Such invective!
> Dwight should know better.  First "misunderstanding": that Microsoft
> is "dropping XENIX and switching to UNIX".  Microsoft isn't dropping
> anything: they are merging the two products.  What the merged
> product is called is irrelevant: it was as much born out of XENIX
> as anything.  As evidence of this, note that AT&T is
> paying royalties to Microsoft for the use of the XENIX technology
> in the merged product.
>
> Second "misunderstanding": the implication
> that XENIX applications won't run after the merge.

[ paragraph describing Xenix between compatibility between 8086,80826,80386 ]

> Since Microsoft is doing the merge, I'd expect that if they
> were forced to break either XENIX binaries or Coff binaries, they'd
> do the latter, both because there's more XENIX binaries out
> there and as a matter of remaining true to your own.
>
> 		--amy
> 		{ihnp4,microsof,amdcad}!sco!abs

This reference is from Unix/Xenix World, May 1987, p.13
About the Microsoft announcement :
	"Programs written for the present Unix System V or for Xenix
	 System V are to run on the combined system *without*
	 modifications."

[ the emphasis on without is mine ]

This next reference is from Unix/Xenix World, June 1987, p.110
Again, about the Microsoft/AT&T announcement :
	"will allow applications already developed... on any version
	 of Xenix to run without recompilation on this new
	 official port called Unix V.3/386"

[ and to be fair ]

	"... according to Microport, its recently announced version
	 of Unix V.3/386 will not have Xenix compatibility until
	 early 1988."

In other words, everything is coming together so that it doesn't matter
WHERE the programs originated from.  My understanding of the present
situation is that the binaries from both present Unix and Xenix will
be able to run without modifications on the new combined Unix.

--
Kevin Davies		International Information Service (IIS)
UUCP:  {uunet,utai,watmath}!dalcs!iisat!kevin