[comp.unix.questions] A VMS C compiler?

eichelbe@nadc.arpa (J. Eichelberger) (11/06/87)

It has been mentioned in various VAX-related mailing lists that there is
a VMS C compiler available from an organization known as the Free Software
Foundation.

First off, is this true?

Secondly, if this is true, how would one go about obtaining the compiler?
Is source code provided?

I have 4.3 BSD UNIX, but there is not much hope of getting the portable C
compiler to work under VMS in my spare time.  And if the "wheel" can be bought,
why make it yourself?

If anyone can help me answer these questions, please write or call.

Thank you.

                 Jon Eichelberger
                 eichelbe@NADC.ARPA
                 (215) 443-5178

P.S. Sending directly to me is fine, unless you think everyone would be
interested.

ehrlich@psuvax1.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) (11/06/87)

In article <10191@brl-adm.ARPA> eichelbe@nadc.arpa (J. Eichelberger) writes:
>It has been mentioned in various VAX-related mailing lists that there is
>a VMS C compiler available from an organization known as the Free Software
>Foundation.
>
>First off, is this true?

I do not know if it runs under VMS, but the Foundation does have a VAX
C compiler.  The current version is GNU CC V1.14.  Here is their
address and phone number:

	Free Software Foundation, Inc.
	675 Massachusets Avenue
	Cambridge, MA 02139
	+1 617 876 3296

>Secondly, if this is true, how would one go about obtaining the compiler?
>Is source code provided?

If you have access to the ARPA/NSFnet everything is available on the
host prep.ai.mit.edu [128.52.22.14] via anonymous FTP in the directory
/u2/emacs.  Sources are provided for all of the Foundation's programs.
If you do not have Intenet access, they will mail you a tape for a
processing fee.  Check with the Foundation for the current amount
required.

Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@psuvax1.{psu.edu,bitnet,uucp}>
The Pennsylvania State University, Department of Computer Science
333 Whitmore Laboratory, University Park, PA   16802
+1 814 863 1142 or +1 814 865 9723

m2@insyte.uucp (Mike Arena) (11/09/87)

I would like any information about this compiler, too.

					Mike Arena
					harvard!linus!axiom!insyte!m2

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (11/11/87)

In article <3058@psuvax1.psu.edu> ehrlich@psuvax1.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
>I do not know if it runs under VMS, but the Foundation does have a VAX
>C compiler.  [information on obtaining it from FSF deleted]

That compiler is itself written in C, though you will need a Unix-ish
assembler to use it.  FSF may have one; if not, it seems feasible
to feed gcc's output through the VMS macro assembler.

For those interested in performance, on at least one benchmark
(some version of cspice) the VMS C compiler beat 4.3BSD's pcc, and
gcc beat the VMS C compiler, in runtime of the compiled code.  I
did not do the test and have no further details (in fact, my copy
gcc is not even working yet).

In article <10191@brl-adm.ARPA>, eichelbe@nadc.arpa (J. Eichelberger) writes:
> is a VMS C compiler available from an organization known as the Free
> Software Foundation.

> First off, is this true?

Last I heard, the FSF's C compiler, gcc, was not a VMS C compiler in
the sense that it does not accept the same language as DEC's VMS C
compiler.  I do not know whether it is a VMS C compiler in the sense of
running on VMS.

> Secondly, if this is true, how would one go about obtaining the
> compiler?

You can get it from anyone else who has it by any method agreeable to
both of you.  You can ftp it from prep.ai.mit.edu, if you have Internet
ftp access.  You can uucp it, I hear.  Failing all the above, you can
send a cheque for $150 (I think it is) to the FSF and they will send
you a tape with gcc (and lots of other stuff, probably) on it.

> Is source code provided?

Yes, as with all the FSF's stuff.

					der Mouse

				(mouse@mcgill-vision.uucp)