[comp.unix.questions] 3B2 fatal diagnostic

Schow%FSU.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU (Peter Schow) (11/16/87)

I have an AT&T 3B2/300 system which was donated to our organization.  It
has been running fine for six months until a couple of days ago.  When
I power it on, I am getting the diagnostic message "EDT FILL FAILED"
followed by "DIAGNOSTICS FAILED".  Unfortunately, I received no
documentation with the system.  Could somebody look in their 3B2 manuals
and tell me what "EDT" stands for?  Thanks alot!

--
Peter Schow                           BITNET:   schow@fsu
Systems Group, FSU Computing Center   INTERNET: schow%fsu.mfenet@nmfecc.arpa

In article <10374@brl-adm.ARPA>, Schow%FSU.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU (Peter Schow) writes:
> I have an AT&T 3B2/300 system which was donated to our organization.  It
> has been running fine for six months until a couple of days ago.  When
> I power it on, I am getting the diagnostic message "EDT FILL FAILED"
> followed by "DIAGNOSTICS FAILED".  Unfortunately, I received no
> documentation with the system.  Could somebody look in their 3B2 manuals
> and tell me what "EDT" stands for?  Thanks alot!

	EDT stands for Equipped Device Table.  I have only seen one EDT
error, which was when I botched a 3BNET installation.  When the driver was
reinstalled properly, the problem went away.
	I believe your error message is the failure of a boot program called
`filledt' to properly execute.  WHY filledt fails, I don't know.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|utzoo|uunet}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}   "Have you hugged your cat today?"

sdejarne@polyslo.UUCP (Steve DeJarnett) (11/24/87)

In article <2238@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>In article <10374@brl-adm.ARPA>, Schow%FSU.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU (Peter Schow) writes:
>> I have an AT&T 3B2/300 system which was donated to our organization.  It
>> has been running fine for six months until a couple of days ago.  When
>> I power it on, I am getting the diagnostic message "EDT FILL FAILED"
>> followed by "DIAGNOSTICS FAILED".  Unfortunately, I received no
>> documentation with the system.  Could somebody look in their 3B2 manuals
>> and tell me what "EDT" stands for?  Thanks alot!
>
>	EDT stands for Equipped Device Table.  I have only seen one EDT
>error, which was when I botched a 3BNET installation.  When the driver was
>reinstalled properly, the problem went away.
>	I believe your error message is the failure of a boot program called
>`filledt' to properly execute.  WHY filledt fails, I don't know.

	We had a similar problem (maybe the same problem, actually).  We
solved it (in the short term) by running the filledt command from firmware
mode.  After that, the system booted ok.  We did, however, get tired of doing
that everytime some student decided to see what that "funny red switch on the
side" did.  We ended up reloading the whole system.  Before you do that,
though, be sure to back up the file system (our system administrator didn't,
so we lost some info).  Hope this helps.

| Steve DeJarnett		|    ...!ihnp4!csun!polyslo!sdejarne	      |
| Computer Systems Lab		|    ...!{csustan,csun,sdsu}!polyslo!sdejarne |
| Cal Poly State Univ		|    ...!ucbvax!voder!polyslo!sdejarne	      |
| San Luis Obispo, CA  93407	|    					      |
#include <std_discl!vrinur