[comp.unix.questions] History lesson

DBLCU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (11/18/87)

A few weeks ago I attended the Unix Expo here in New York. I picked up this
wonderfull little poster called "Unix Magic" which was distributed by
Unitech Software Inc. It shows a wizard mixing potions in a sea-shell.
Surrounding him are various artifacts that have something related to the
Unix environment. There is one exception though. There is a jar of oregano
in the foreground. Is/was there something by that name in Unix or is this
just an exception/joke in the poster?

David Lopez
CUNY/UCC
bitnet: dblcu@cunyvm
internet: dblcu@cunyvm.cuny.edu

dtraver@macomw.ARPA (George Andrew Traver) (11/20/87)

In article <844DBLCU@CUNYVM> DBLCU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:
>A few weeks ago I attended the Unix Expo here in New York. I picked up this
>wonderfull little poster called "Unix Magic" which was distributed by
>Unitech Software Inc. It shows a wizard mixing potions in a sea-shell.
>Surrounding him are various artifacts that have something related to the
>Unix environment. There is one exception though. There is a jar of oregano
>in the foreground. Is/was there something by that name in Unix or is this
>just an exception/joke in the poster?

I had this same question a little while ago.  Someone told me that one
of the original writers of the UNIX op system was comming back from
Canada.  When he was going through border, the border guard mistook
some oregano that he had as an illegal substance.

This is the story I heard, I can't verify if it's true or not.

Question: What does the castle in the window mean?  Some one told me
	  the reaper in the window is a "kernal hacker".

	  Also what does the "B" stand for on the craked jar in the
	  lower right hand corner?

Somebody please let me know.

dmr@alice.UUCP (11/20/87)

I am reasonably certain that none of the "original writers" of Unix was
ever busted for oregano while crossing the border, though perhaps someone
else was.  I am as much in the dark about this bit as anyone.
However, Ken once missed his flight to California because of difficulties
about a pistol in a carry-on bag, and on another occasion was required
to empty a full diving tank in an airport lobby, an activity that
attracts considerable attention.

Also aside, early this year my brother got several copies of the
Unix Magic poster by calling up the company (maybe going over; he lives in the
next town) and telling them he was my brother.  Probably this won't
work any more.

	Dennis Ritchie

dblcu@cunyvm.bitnet.UUCP (11/20/87)

Interesting story on the oregano jar. I was reading some other postings that
gave the same story line in the wizards group. I haven't heard of anyone
who knows what the castle in the background means. Maybe I should call up
Unitech to see if they know... As far as the "B" jar goes, B if I recall
correctly was the language that preceded C. It is essentially a strpped
down version of a language called BCPL. I attended a lecture on C given
by Mr. Kernighan at City College and this lecture gave a brief history of
where C came from. It helped clarify certain questions of mine as far as
why C is implemented the way it is as far as certain data structures are
concerned ( I don't happen to like the various quirks of C partly because
I'm basically a Pascal person myself). Hope that answers your question.
And thanks for answering mine.

wrd3156@fedeva.UUCP (Bill Daniels) (11/24/87)

In article <844DBLCU@CUNYVM>, DBLCU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:
[insert deleted text]
> Unix environment. There is one exception though. There is a jar of oregano
> in the foreground. Is/was there something by that name in Unix or is this
> just an exception/joke in the poster?

no, No, nO, NO, NOOOOOOO!!!   I can't take any more poster talk!!
Flames to /dev/null, my 'n' is worn out!
--
bill daniels
federal express, memphis, tn

danny@itm.UUCP (Danny) (11/24/87)

In article <852DBLCU@CUNYVM> DBLCU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:
~... I haven't heard of anyone
~who knows what the castle in the background means.

    Perhaps "The Newcastle Connection?"  This was the first "transparent"
inter-machine file system I heard about for UN*X systems.

                                            Danny
--
				Daniel S. Cox
				(seismo!gatech!itm!danny)

In article <237@fedeva.UUCP> wrd3156@fedeva.UUCP (Bill Daniels) writes:
>no, No, nO, NO, NOOOOOOO!!!   I can't take any more poster talk!!

Yeah, the trouble is all those posters.  Reminds me of the
boarding house that burned down, thereby putting an end to
all those ugly roomers.

Sorry!