[comp.unix.questions] History not starting from 1

dipto@umbc3.UUCP (12/05/87)

I have the prompt set with the following command where I want the
history number (in csh) --
                            set prompt = '\!% '

Every time I start up a shell or login, the history number should
begin with a one.  However, in my case I get  22% as the starting
number; from there on it starts incrementing. There may be a silly
reason which I am unable to see. Any insight ?

FYI, I do have a .login with different kinds of options for the
terminal  setups, Baud rates and login shells at the time of my
signing on to the system (I guess that shouldn't interfere with
my history machanism). Which definitions other than the standard
"set history = nn" conflict in this case?

Thanks in advance

merlin@hqda-ai.UUCP (David S. Hayes) (12/06/87)

In article <616@umbc3.UMD.EDU>, dipto@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Dipto Chakravarty) writes:
> Every time I start up a shell or login, the history number should
> begin with a one.  However, in my case I get  22% as the starting
> number; from there on it starts incrementing. There may be a silly
> reason which I am unable to see. Any insight ?

     The Sun version of csh includes the ability to save history
from previous sessions.  On logout, some number ($savehist) of
commands are saved in a file ~/.history.  When csh is started, it
looks for this file, and reloads from it.

     Delete ~/.history, and your history numbers will start again
at 1.  Alternatively, if you wish, set $savehist in your .login,
and you can carry over the last 'n' commands from one login
session to the next.

--
David S. Hayes, The Merlin of Avalon	PhoneNet:  (202) 694-6900
UUCP:  *!uunet!cos!hqda-ai!merlin	ARPA:  ai01@hios-pent.arpa