[comp.unix.questions] 8th Edition UNIX in the Labs

mikel@codas.att.com (Mikel Manitius) (12/06/87)

In article <1824@pdn.UUCP> reggie@pdnbah.UUCP (George Leach) writes:

>        I spent the last four years working for an organization within Bell
> Communications Research where we had "independent" computer labs as well as
> access to Bellcore Computer Center machines (system V).  In our labs we ran
> BSD-based systems, including 8th Edition.  The reason we had 8th Edition was
> that the original lab for our project was running 8th Edition on a dozen DEC
> VAX 11/750's with a Datakit Switch.  At the time of the divestiture of the
> Bell System we were entitled to keep 8th Edition. [ ... ]
>
>          I don't know if legally, Bellcore has any further rights to new
> developments under 8th or 9th Edition.  I doubt it.  I was a wonderful system
> to develop under.  However, the capacity of the 750's and the general difficulty
> of obtaining third party software for 8th Edition, eg. database manager, has
> made 8th Edition's life at one lab in Bellcore minimal.  I feel it is a real
> shame.  8th Edition is far superior to the commercial product from AT&T.

I was one of the administrators of the comp center George speaks of above,
several years go. At the time there weren't any versions of System V rel 2
available yet that I had seen. I had played with some versions of System V
that look positivley atroicous compared to V8 (I'l spare the pun :-).

One of my favorite features of V8 was it's networking capabilities. This was
early 1984, and we still had NFS ties over Datakit to MH. I could easily look
at the latest version of V8 being developed, just by looking into another
filesystem that was really 30 miles away.

Later that year I left, and it took three years of suffering under System V
until the networking version (SVR3 with RFS) came out, by which time I had
gotten used to System V. I'l say that I'm somewhat satisfied with the basic
networking capabilities of SVR3, but it doesn't come with ANY tools or
applications that use it!!! I've had to write my own remote shell "rsh",
remote login "rlogin", remote w "rw", and a phone program that can transend
machine boundaries (even speak down to DOS).

RFS isn't quite as stable as NFS (V8 version) was either, although it is
somewhat more flexible. Now that I've got your attention, does anyone know
why something would translate the second field letters of the rfmaster file
to uppercase on a regular basis? This file keeps getting changed on our
machines, and I can't find the culprit!

I have the above networking tools packaged up and available if you're
interrested, but you'll have to be running SVR3 with some sort of TLI
compatable network (ie: STARLAN or STREAMS TCP/IP Ether).
--
					Mikel Manitius @ AT&T
					mikel@codas.att.com

"Up your baud rate!" :-)

mikel@codas.att.com (Mikel Manitius) (12/06/87)

In article <1954@frog.UUCP> john@frog.UUCP (John Woods, Software) writes:
->>>
->>> ...  There are many other interesting things in the Research UNIX systems
->>> that have not (so far) appeared in the commercial UNIX System V product.
->>
->...here is a partial list of interesting Ninth Edition goodies...
->
-> 	a version of "cat" that has no options

The idea at the time was to weed out all of the unnessecary options in much
of the code, and to create simple code that was less complex, easy to use,
and more efficient.
--
					Mikel Manitius @ AT&T
					mikel@codas.att.com