[net.cooks] wanted: maple cake recipe

nm34@sdcc12.UUCP (nm34) (08/19/85)

     I dont want to sound too morbid or sappily sentimental, but my
father-in-law has lung cancer and he is comming out to San Deigo to
visit.  (What does this have to do with net.cooks you ask?)  It will be
his birthday while he is visiting; maybe his last.  We asked him what
kind of cake he wanted, and he said a maple cake.  The whole thing is
weird, becouse normally he would have said that he doesn't like cake that
much or that it didn't matter, but he said he wanted a maple cake.  It
turns out that his mother used to make him a maple cake for his birthday
when he was a kid.

     We couldn't find a maple cake anywhere. It wasn't in JOC or Fanny
Farmer (our two standbyes).  We cant find it anywhere else.  DOes anyone
have a recipe?  I would appreciate it if you would send it to me via
mail since they will be here very soon.  Thanks a lot in advance.

                       Andrew Bindman

holly@hpfcla.UUCP (08/20/85)

I went through some old cookbooks I've collected and came up with 4 recipes.

Here they are:

Maple Sirup Cake

Prepare 2 8" round layer cake pans.

For cake - Sift together and set aside

     2 2/3 cup sifted cake flour
     1 T. baking powder
     3/4 tsp. salt

Cream until softened

     3/4 cup shortening

Add gradually, creaming until fluffy after each addition

     2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar

Set mixture aside.

Add in thirds, beating thoroughly after each addition

     7 egg yolks, well beaten

Measure and blend together

     2/3 cup milk
     2/3 cup maple sirup

Beating only until smooth after each addition, alternately add dry ingredients
in fourths, liquid in thirds, to creamed mixture.  Finally beat only until
smooth (do not overbeat).

Turn batter into pans.

Bake at 350 degrees 45 to 50 minutes or until cake springs back in center or
toothpick comes clean from center of cake.

Let cakes set at least 10 minutes before removing from pans.  Cool cake
completely before frosting with Maple Frosting (recipe follows).

Maple Frosting

(Set out a candy thermometer and 1 quart saucepan having a tight fitting cover.)

Combine in the saucepan

      3/4 cup maple sirup
      1/2 cup sugar

Place over low heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.  Cover saucepan and
bring to boiling.  Boil 5 minutes to help dissolve any crystals that may have
formed on sides of pan.  Uncover saucepan and put candy thermometer in place.
Continue cooking without stirring until mixture reaches 230 degrees F (thread
stage; remove from heat while testing).

Using pastry brush dipped in water, wash down crystals from sides of saucepan
from time to time during cooking.

Beat until stiff (but not dry) peaks formed

     1 egg white
       Few grains salt

Continue beating egg white while pouring the hor sirup over it in a thin steady
stream.  (Do not scrape sirup from bottom and sides of pan.)  After all the
sirup is added, continue beating 2 to 3 minutes or until frosting is very thick
and forms rounded peaks (holds shape).  Fold in with minimun strokes

     1 tsp. vanilla

Enough frosting to frost sides and tops of two 8 inch square cake layers or
3 8 inch round cake layers.

Maple Chiffon Cake

2 egg whites
2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
1/2 cup sugar
3 tsps. baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup salad oil
1 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp maple flavoring
2 egg yolks

1.  In small bowl of electric mixer, let eggt whites warm to room tempera-
ture - about l hour.
2.  Preheat oven to 350F.  Line bottoms of two 8 by 1 1/2 inch cake pans with
waxed paper.  (I think you could probably flour these is you wanted to instead
of the wax paper.)
3.  Sift flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt into large bowl of
electric mixer.
4.  In small bowl, combine oil, maple syrup, 1/4 cup milk and maple flavoring;
with wooden spoon, beat until blended.
5.  Pour oil mixture into flour mixture; beat, at low speed 1 minute.  Add
rest of milk and the egg yolks; beat at medium speed 1 minute.  Wash beaters.
6.  Beat egg whites, at high speed, just until soft peaks form when beater is
slowly raised.
7.  Add rest of sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating well after each
addition.  Beat until stiff peaks form when beater is raised.
8.  Using a wire wisk or rubber scrapper, gently fold egg-white mixture into
batter until blended.
9.  Turn into pans; bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until surface springs back when
pressed with fingertip.
10.  Let cool 5 minutes in pans.  Turn out on wire racks; let cool completely.
Frost with Maple Seafoam Frosting (recipe follows).

Maple  Seafoam Frosting

2 egg whites (1/4 cup)
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
3/4 tsp. maple flavoring

1.  In top of double boiler, combine egg whites, brown sugar, and cream of
tartar with 1/3 cup water; stir to mix well.
2.  Over rapidly boiling water, with portable electric mixer, beat at high speedabout 7 minutes or until mixture is stiff enough to hold its shape.
3.  Remove from heat.  Add maple flavoring; beat until frosting stands in stiff
peaks when beater is raised.

Makes enough to fill and frost an 8 inch or 9 inch two layer cake.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pound Cake

1 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
5 eggs
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsps. salt
1/8 tsp. mace
1 tsp. vanilla

(for Maple Pound Cake:  substitute 1/2 cup maple sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar
firmly packed for equal amounts of granulated sugar in recipe.)

Cream shortening and sugar together.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well
after the addition of each egg.  Add the flour, salt, and mace.  Add vanilla
and beat thoroughly.  Bake in a greased loaf pan in a moderate oven (350F) 60
to 80 minutes.

Maple Glaze (If desired)

1 T. soft butter or margarine
2 T. maple syrup
2 tsps. light cream
1/4 tsp. maple flavoring
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar

1.  In small bowl of electric mixer, combine all ingredients; beat until very]
smooth.
2.  Pour glaze carefully on top of cooled cake, letting it run down the side.

Makes about 1/3 cup.

Maple-Nut Cake

2 1/3 c. flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. shortening
1 c. milk
1 tsp. maple flavoring
2 eggs
1/2 c. chopped pecans

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt into mixing bowl.  Add sugar,
shortening, 3/4 c. milk and flavoring.  Beat 4 minutes; add eggs and remaining
milk.  Beat 2 minutes; stir in pecans.  Pour into two greased and floured pans.
Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 35 minutes.

(There was no frosting suggestions with this one.  Maybe one of the above
recipes would work or just before you put the cake in the oven try a mixture
of brown sugar and maple sugar blended and sprinkled generously over the top -
like a coffee cake.)

I hope these will help you.  I went through all my cake cookbooks and these
are just about all I could find.  Let me know how they turn out.

Enjoy!

nm34@sdcc12.UUCP (nm34) (08/20/85)

In article <432@sdcc12.UUCP>, nm34@sdcc12.UUCP (nm34) writes:

>      We couldn't find a maple cake anywhere. It wasn't in JOC or Fanny
> Farmer (our two standbyes).  We cant find it anywhere else.  DOes anyone
> have a recipe?  I would appreciate it if you would send it to me via
> mail since they will be here very soon.  Thanks a lot in advance.
>
>                        Andrew Bindman
     Oh my god, forgot to give my address:

           ...!ihnp4!sdcsvax!sdcc12!nm34

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (08/25/85)

In article <432@sdcc12.UUCP> nm34@sdcc12.UUCP (nm34) writes:
>     We couldn't find a maple cake anywhere. It wasn't in JOC or Fanny
>Farmer (our two standbyes).  We cant find it anywhere else.  DOes anyone
>have a recipe?  I would appreciate it if you would send it to me via
>mail since they will be here very soon.  Thanks a lot in advance.
>
>                       Andrew Bindman

I mailed two recipes to Mr. Bindman; here they are in case anyone else
would like them:

AWR

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a "maple cake", but here are a couple
of recipes for cakes that use maple syrup as a flavoring:

From "The Official Vermont Maple Cookbook":

	M A P L E   C R E A M   C A K E

	1 c. cream
	1 egg, beaten
	1 c. maple syrup
	1 tsp. soda
	2 tsp. baking powder
	2 c. flour
	1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350F.  Beat cream until thick, but not stiff.  Combine syrup,
soda, and vanilla.  Add beaten egg to this mixture; add to cream.  Sift dry
ingredients together and add to cream mixture.

Pour into an 8"x8"x2" greased and floured pan; bake at 350F for 45 minutes.

Frost with Fluffy Maple Frosting [whatever that is - see below].

From "Massachusetts Favorite Maple Syrup Recipes":

	M A P L E   S Y R U P   C A K E

	1/2 c. shortening
	1/2 c. sugar
	1/2 c. maple syrup
	1 tsp. vanilla
	2 eggs, well beaten
	1-3/4 c. cake flour
	1 tsp. salt
	2-1/2 tsp. baking powder
	1/4 c. milk
	1/2 c. chopped nuts (butternuts preferred)

Cream shortening; add the sugar gradually and cream well together.  Add
maple syrup a small amount at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add vanilla and eggs, and beat the mixture vigorously.  Sift the flour,
salt, and baking powder and add to the mixture alternately with the milk.
Mix only enough to blend the flour.  Stir in the nut meats and pour into
a greased 9" square pan.  Bake in 375F oven for 25 minutes.

Frost with maple icing:

	M A P L E   I C I N G

	1 c. maple syrup
	2 egg whites
	1/4 tsp. salt
	1 tsp. vanilla

	Cook maple syrup until it forms a firm, but not hard ball when
	tested in cold water.  Let stand off stove while beating egg
	whites with the salt until stiff, but not dry.  Add the syrup
	in a fine stream, beating constantl with an electric beater.
	Continue to beat until the frosting holds its shape.  Add
	vanilla and frost.

    or

	Q U I C K   M A P L E   F R O S T I N G

	1/2 c. maple syrup
	2 c. confectioners' sugar
	1 Tbsp. butter

	Bring syrup to boil for one minute.  Remove from heat and stir in
	butter; add sugar and continue cooling until consistency to spread.
	Frosting thickens as syrup cools.