[comp.unix.questions] UNIX for PDP-11/73

jrb@petro.UUCP (Jon Boede) (12/10/87)

There is a possibility that I will be able to get my grubby little mits on a
DEC PDP-11/73 with memory, disc drives, etc. in the near future.

This machine is currently running RT-11, which I'll avoid commenting on :-)

My question is... is it possible that I could pick up UN*X for this machine?
From where?  How much?  Do they have student rates? :-)

Also, just what kind of performance should the 11/73 give me?  Would I be
better off going and getting a PC/AT with XENIX??

Mail me, post me, make me write hot checks,
Jon
--
Jon Boede	...!{gatech,ihnp4,ssbn,swrinde,tness1,utanes}!petro!jrb
512/599-1847                           2555 N.E. Loop 410, #1403, 78217

pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) (12/11/87)

In article <479@petro.UUCP> jrb@petro.UUCP (Jon Boede) writes:
>There is a possibility that I will be able to get my grubby little mits on a
>DEC PDP-11/73 with memory, disc drives, etc. in the near future.

>My question is... is it possible that I could pick up UN*X for this machine?
>From where?  How much?  Do they have student rates? :-)

You can get 2.10BSD from Usenix for $200.  The catch is that you'll need
an AT&T Unix source license to get it.  I think there is also a version
of Venix that runs on the 11/73.

--Pat.

amos@taux01.UUCP (Amos Shapir) (12/11/87)

That question really makes me feel old - when I started hacking unix,
PDP-11 was the *only* computer unix ran on...

--
	Amos Shapir			(My other cpu is a NS32532)
National Semiconductor (Israel)