[comp.unix.questions] INFO-UNIX Digest V4#095

bard@THEORY.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bard Bloom) (12/08/87)

> But ... why do people want to display the current directory in their prompt
> string anyway? What am I missing? Is it really worth all the effort people
> are devoting to it, or is it just the challenge of bending grotty pieces of
> software to our needs that prvieds the attraction?

I often have half a dozen windows onto half a dozen machines, and half a
dozen people trying to get me to do things for them.  I need all the help
keeping this stuff straight that I can get.

-- Bard Bloom

In article <10738@brl-adm.ARPA> bard@THEORY.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bard Bloom) writes:
>I often have half a dozen windows onto half a dozen machines, and half a
>dozen people trying to get me to do things for them.  I need all the help
>keeping this stuff straight that I can get.

Exactly right.
This makes the suggestion that it's based on some kind of MS-DOS
jealousy appear especially ludicrous -- imagine trying to explain
what this kind of environment is like to an MS-DOS user.