[net.cooks] Milk in Chinese food

chai@utflis.UUCP (Henry Chai) (08/26/85)

In article <370@rti-sel.UUCP> wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) writes:
>Milk recipes in general are very rare in Chinese cooking; out of four
>cookbooks I've got at home there are only one or two recipes that use
>milk.

I'll tell you about two rather interesting dishes using milk:
Stir-fried Milk (yes!) and Deep-Fried Milk (yes!)

Stir fried milk: take milk and add eggwhites to it; crabmeat can also be
added if you like.  Dump the mixture into a generous amount of hot oil
(or a bit of oil in a non-stick pan) and stir it over high heat until it
is almost set.
Serve it on a bed of deep fried rice vermicelli or glass noodles.

Deep Fried milk: cook milk with cornstarch.  Pour into shallow pan.
Refridgerate untill set.  Cut into diamonds, coat with batter and
deep fry until filling is hot.

I don't think these are 'traditional' dishes in the sense that they ahve been
around for centuries.  Cow's milk was not a common beverage; soy-bean milk
took its place.  Of course now milk and milk-products are found everywhere;
I remember how surpsrised my grandma (who hates cheese) was when she learnt
that my uncle, well into his fifties, started to include cheese in his
breakfast! (this was in Hong Kong about 7 years ago)

--
Henry Chai
Faculty of Library and Information Science, U of Toronto