[net.cooks] Spagetti sauce

rusty (01/21/83)

From: rusty (Rusty Wright)
another thing that is nice to use when making spagetti sauce
is one of those slow cooking crock pots. just put it on high
for a short while to get things cooking then put it on low
for the rest of the afternoon. you may need to prop the lid
open for a while to help it get thick.

barb@pyuxa.UUCP (B E Nemeth) (08/16/85)

I made spagetti sauce using tomatoes
from my garden.  For some reason this
time the sauce came out too tart.
I added some sugar, but no luck in removing
the tartness.  I really don't want to add
any more sugar.

Any suggestions in removing the tartness.

Thanks in advance.
Barb Nemeth

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (08/20/85)

Try adding 1/2 teaspoon or so of grated bitter chocolate to
the spaghetti sauce, or any sauce that includes tomatoes.  (I know
it sounds crazy, but it works.  I learned it from a terrific cook
who didn't use sugar in anything because of a diabetic in the
family.)

susan@umcp-cs.UUCP (Susan McCandless) (08/21/85)

Yes. To remove tartness from a tomato sauce made with
fresh tomatoes, my grand-mother often threw in about a 2 inch
size piece of carrot, and about what looked like 1-2 tablespoons
of sugar. It always seemed to work.

susan

ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) (08/21/85)

In article <1305@pyuxa.UUCP> barb@pyuxa.UUCP (B E Nemeth) writes:
>I made spagetti sauce using tomatoes from my garden.  For some
>reason this time the sauce came out too tart.  I added some
>sugar, but no luck in removing the tartness.  I really don't
>want to add any more sugar.
>
>Any suggestions in removing the tartness.

Try grating a carrot or two into the sauce.  More onions would sweeten
it up, too (especially red ones).

--
"You can never have too many onions."
--

Ken Turkowski @ CADLINC, Menlo Park, CA
UUCP: {amd,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,spar}!turtlevax!ken

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (08/22/85)

> I made spagetti sauce using tomatoes
> from my garden.  For some reason this
> time the sauce came out too tart.
> I added some sugar, but no luck in removing
> the tartness.  I really don't want to add
> any more sugar.
>
> Any suggestions in removing the tartness.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Barb Nemeth

Try adding finely shredded carrots.  They don't have the sweetening power
of sugar, but you can add a lot without feeling guilty.  Also, if you add
too much sugar and then boil the sauce, it's liable to get treacly.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
aka Swazoo Koolak

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

gail@prism.UUCP (08/23/85)

try removing the seeds from the tomatoes as they can cause bitterness.
also the skin may add to the tartness.  I make sauce often and found
that by removing the seeds from the tomatoes beforehand makes for a
much sweeter taste.

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (08/24/85)

Another trick to make spaghetti sauce less tart:  Add some baking SODA.
It does add sodium (so cut down the salt).  It also fizzes wonderfully.
This works by neutralizing the acid, not just covering it up (as sugar
does).
--
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)
	"To feel at home, stay at home.  A foreign country is not designed

megann@ihuxi.UUCP (Meg McRoberts) (08/24/85)

> I made spagetti sauce using tomatoes
> from my garden.  For some reason this
> time the sauce came out too tart.
> I added some sugar, but no luck in removing
> the tartness.  I really don't want to add
> any more sugar.
>
> Any suggestions in removing the tartness.

try adding some chopped carrots (or grated -- something very small
so they more or less disappear except for the flavor) when you first
start cooking it, and lots of fresh basil towards the end of the
cooking time.

meg mcroberts
ihuxi!megann

barb@oliven.UUCP (Barbara Jernigan) (08/26/85)

> Try adding 1/2 teaspoon or so of grated bitter chocolate to
> the spaghetti sauce, or any sauce that includes tomatoes.  (I know
> it sounds crazy, but it works.  I learned it from a terrific cook
> who didn't use sugar in anything because of a diabetic in the
> family.)

There are, in fact, a few Spanish recipes mixing tomato sauce and
bitter chocolate.  Dubiously I tried one -- it was delicious, and NOTHING
like chicken dipped in hot fudge (yeee--ech).  If I remember, I'll post
the recipe (it was in Bon Appetit a month or two ago).

         	    ______  /
	     .ooo.     ./ /.	. o@ooo0
	    .ooooo.   .ooooo.  .oooo          Barb
        oo..oo	 oo...ooo ooo..ooo  \