[comp.unix.questions] smail - rmail interaction

norm@ontenv.UUCP (Norman Soley) (12/16/87)

I am running smail 2.5 on an NCR Tower XP. When I send mail to
multiple addresses (eg. mail bob@frobozz jim@zzoborf) smail does it's
thing and generates a uux request which looks like:

uux neighbor!rmail '(pathtofrobozz!frobozz!bob)' '(pathtozzborf!zzoborf!jim)'

The problem is that one of my neighbors has an rmail that can't deal with
more than 1 argument. Both requests to go into the bitbucket.

Is there any way to tell smail about this?

--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	utzoo!lsuc!ncrcan!---\			VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623

karl@mumble.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (12/18/87)

From smail's defs.h file, discussing MAXCLEN...

/*
** Normally, all mail destined for the local host is delivered with a single
** call to the local mailer, and all remote mail is delivered with one call
** to the remote mailer for each remote host.  This kind of 'batching' saves
** on the cpu overhead.
**
** MAXCLEN is used to limit the length of commands that are exec'd by smail.
** This is done to keep other program's buffers from overflowing, or to
** allow for less intelligent commands which can take only one argument
** at a time (e.g., 4.1 /bin/mail).  To disable the batching, set MAXCLEN
** a small value (like 0).
*/

So just turn off batching with a 0.
-=-
Karl

mechjgh@tness1.UUCP (Greg Hackney 214+464-2771) (12/20/87)

In article <267@ontenv.UUCP> norm@ontenv.UUCP (Norman Soley) writes:
>I am running smail 2.5 on an NCR Tower XP.
>The problem is that one of my neighbors has an rmail that can't deal with
>more than 1 argument.

There is a Tower XP here that is running an old version of smail.
It has a -L option which calls the original mail program, which will
split the mail into 2 separate packages for the remote rmail.

i.e. smail -L neighbor!dick neighbor!jane neighbor!spot

It sounds like your neighboring system should install smail also.

--
Greg Hackney
Southwestern Bell Telephone Co.