[comp.unix.questions] UCB 2.9 LISP goes illegal

PAAAAAR%CALSTATE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (12/07/87)

We are trying to make LISP run on an 11/24 (yes they still exist)
using Berzerkley 2.9. The code is all in Macro11  in /usr/src/lisp
Some where in the makefile the system crashes with an illegal
instruction. There are other weird things as well - What is sysmac.sml,
for instance?
Any advice would be most welcome... (other than get a new machine that takes
time:-))
Dick Botting
PAAAAAR%CALSTATE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
PAAAAAR@CCS.CSUSCC.CALSTATE(doc-dick)
Dept Comp Sci., CSUSB, 5500 State Univ Pkway, San Bernardino CA 92407
voice:714-887-7368           modem:714-887-7365 -- Silicon Mountain

jv@mhres.mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (12/09/87)

In article <10712@brl-adm.ARPA> PAAAAAR%CALSTATE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:
>We are trying to make LISP run on an 11/24 (yes they still exist)
>What is sysmac.sml, for instance?

That reminds me to the goold old days, when PDP-11's ran only RSX,
RT-11 or RSTS. Sysmac.sml is a macro library, which contains the definitions
for the RT-11 "Programmed Requests" (nowadays known as system calls).
Don't think it's equivalent exists on Unix ...
--
Johan Vromans                              | jv@mh.nl via European backbone
Multihouse N.V., Gouda, the Netherlands    | uucp: ..{uunet!}mcvax!mh.nl!jv

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (12/16/87)

In later PDP-11 releases it was system.s, early releases had certain
system calls hard coded into the assembler.  Others you had to explicitly
identify the call by number.  This lead to the "not in assembler" annotation
on certain of the Section 2 man pages.

-Ron

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (12/19/87)

I believe "sysmac.sml" could be found with the Harvard V6/V7 MACRO-11
assembler/linker package, which was distributed along with Harvard's
L110 LISP 1.5 package by Bob Kridle's group at Berkeley with 2.xBSD.

I seem to remember (hazily) that L110 really wanted to run on a split
I/D machine like a 11/44, 45 or 70.  These days, I'd probably go with
something like XLISP.  L110 was rather neat circa 1974.
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu

rhealey@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Rob Healey) (12/21/87)

In article <481@spdcc.COM> dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>I believe "sysmac.sml" could be found with the Harvard V6/V7 MACRO-11
>assembler/linker package, which was distributed along with Harvard's
>L110 LISP 1.5 package by Bob Kridle's group at Berkeley with 2.xBSD.

	Does anyone have a COPY of sysmac.sml? Is sysmac.sml just a text
	file or is it in some weird format? We have Ultrix-11 V3 that
	has the macro-11 assembler and such but no sysmac.sml. Since
	the macro assembler is under the "not supported by DEC" part of
	the manual I was hopeing some kind soul could help me find a copy
	so we can use the macro assembler for some projects.

	Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance,

		-Rob Healey

		rhealey@ub.d.umn.edu
--

			-Rob