[comp.unix.questions] inet port numbers

koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Steven Grimm) (12/24/87)

With all the interest in interprocess communication nowadays, there are bound
to be some port number clashes between peoples' programs.  What does everyone
think of starting up a registry for port numbers?  That way, if you planned to
distribute a program outside of your local net, you would ask for a range of
port numbers that nobody else's utility was using, and be ensured that no other
programs would clash with yours.  The process could be automated -- it should
be possible to write a little daemon that people telnet into to request port
numbers or to ask if a range of numbers is being used by someone else.  Of
course, the initial work of tracking down existing utilities' port numbers
would be large, but in the end I think it would be worth it.  I'm willing to
run the service, for a while anyway, if there is enough interest.

Since there are likely to be a number of responses to this idea, please
reply with E-Mail.  I'll post the results in a couple of weeks.

							Steve

+New! Improved! Now 100% Artificial-+-+-----------------------------------+
|#   #  @@@  ****  &&&&& $$$$$ %   %| |Steven Grimm                       |
|#  #  @   @ *   * &       $   %   %+-+ ARPA: koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu        |
|###   @   @ ****  &&&&    $   %%%%%| | UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ssyx!koreth|
|#  #  @   @ * *   &       $   %   %+-+     ______________________________|
|#   #  @@@  *  ** &&&&&   $   %   %| |     |"Let's see what's out there."|
+-----with NutraSour(TM)!  No natural colors or preservatives!------------+

davy@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Dave Curry) (12/25/87)

In article <1480@saturn.ucsc.edu> koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Steven Grimm) writes:
>With all the interest in interprocess communication nowadays, there are bound
>to be some port number clashes between peoples' programs.  What does everyone
>think of starting up a registry for port numbers?

Swell idea.  So swell, in fact, that the Network Information Center
already does it.  They publish the numbers every so often (6 months?)
as a Request for Comments; the most recent is RFC1010, I believe.  You
can get this by using anonymous FTP to SRI-NIC.ARPA, and grabbing the
file RFC:RFC1010.TXT.

The folks who answer mail to NIC@SRI-NIC.ARPA could probably tell you
all about just exactly what numbers they register, etc.  I believe
there are restrictions on some things (like, they only register ports
below 1024 or something).

For those of you who haven't dealt with them, the folks at the address
NIC@SRI-NIC.ARPA are always very helpful with general questions about
the Internet, and you'd be surprised how much of the stuff you'd think
they *should* keep track of they already *do* keep track of...)

--Dave

koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Steven Grimm) (12/25/87)

In article <1374@ea.ecn.purdue.edu> davy@ea.ecn.purdue.edu.UUCP (Dave Curry) writes:
>In article <1480@saturn.ucsc.edu> koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Steven Grimm) writes:
>>With all the interest in interprocess communication nowadays, there are bound
>>to be some port number clashes between peoples' programs.  What does everyone
>>think of starting up a registry for port numbers?
>
>Swell idea.  So swell, in fact, that the Network Information Center
>already does it.  They publish the numbers every so often (6 months?)
>as a Request for Comments; the most recent is RFC1010, I believe.  You
>can get this by using anonymous FTP to SRI-NIC.ARPA, and grabbing the
>file RFC:RFC1010.TXT.
>
>The folks who answer mail to NIC@SRI-NIC.ARPA could probably tell you
>all about just exactly what numbers they register, etc.  I believe
>there are restrictions on some things (like, they only register ports
>below 1024 or something).

In fact, they only register ports below 256, which is why another registry
seems like a good idea.  Here at UCSC (and, I suspect, at many other sites),
there are quite a number of user-developed programs that use IPC; since they
aren't owned by the system administrators, they aren't installed by the
superuser.  Of course, that means they can't sit on privileged port numbers,
which means the NIC doesn't register them.  What I'm proposing is an unofficial
registry for such programs.

(By the way, the RFCs are interesting reading; I encourage anyone interested
in the innards of the internet to poke around in the archives.  There's a lot
of information there.)